Which handbags do you take on special trips?

Rani

O.G.
Mar 5, 2008
I'm not really talking about sight seeing, but when you stay at a nice resort and want something chic and versatile to use for breakfast at the hotel, walking around the resort and going out shopping or for dinner somewhere nice. Do you take one larger handbag and one small handbag? I have taken an LV Pochette and Neverfull mm in damier ebene on a trips to Dubai and I also took my Mulberry black Lily to use in the evening. I am considering something new so just wondered what combination of handbags other ladies like to use.

Hmm.
My last overseas trip lasted a month.
Stayed in what some might consider nice hotels. Lots of stars & ammenities. Smiling conceinerges.
And ate in several nice restaurants. Weird decor & trendy "disassembled" courses.

Carried my black pacsafe crossbody bag.
I carry this bag only, everywhere.

For in-hotel breakfasts, felt no need to carry bag. As returned to room before venturing out for day.
Or ordered room service.

My mulberry lily stays home & sighs her relief.;)
As my travel activities generally involve helmets & functional wardrobe choices.

Probably not much help, sorry.:blush:

Reactions: QuelleFromage
Hmm.
My last overseas trip lasted a month.
Stayed in what some might consider nice hotels. Lots of stars & ammenities. Smiling conceinerges.
And ate in several nice restaurants. Weird decor & trendy "disassembled" courses.

Carried my black pacsafe crossbody bag.
I carry this bag only, everywhere.

For in-hotel breakfasts, felt no need to carry bag. As returned to room before venturing out for day.
Or ordered room service.

My mulberry lily stays home & sighs her relief.;)
As my travel activities generally involve helmets & functional wardrobe choices.

Probably not much help, sorry.:blush:
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your post :smile:

Reactions: remainsilly
For resort stay, I always bring a small leather cross body with removable strap to use as clutch (for evenings). Depending on mood, location, season, etc, I choose one that compliments the outfits. For example, we were at the Banff Springs for Christmas at the Castle just last month. The small Prada cross body was great for walking around the complex doing Christmas activities and for Brunch with Santa (I don't feel comfortable leaving my valuables at the table unattended.) Saw quite a few ladies trying to balance a plate full of food while holding onto their large luxury bags with the other hand.
I prefer traveling light so any heavy large bags gets left behind. A LC Pliage is always a traveling companion/carryon.

Reactions: Mariapia and Rani
Most recently, I carried a Helen Kaminski raffia tote during the day, and a Gucci Marmont chain bag for evening. For summer looks, a raffia/straw bag looks beautiful and is quite versatile. My Kaminski tote is my most inexpensive bag, but I love it and have received a ton of compliments on it. When I'm doing a lot of walking I want a cross body bag, but for a lazier trip, a straw shoulder bag is great. It's also easy to pack.

I take a Longchamp for going to the beach, etc. They take up minimal room in the luggage since they can fold down easily. For nights out, I pack my Dior WOC in black lambskin. It is small so doesn't take up much room in my luggage either. I usually take some type of crossbody purse on the plane with me that isn't too big so it is easy to carry along with my carry-on bag. Something of a bit more durable leather or perhaps canvas so it won't get scratched if I have to stow it under the seat in front of me. On my last trip, I took my Balenciaga Mini City on the plane.

If I travel with company or to a destination I know from previous trips, I usually take a Longchamp Le Pliage Cuir - the same old and dear Medium in Fuchsia - as well as at least one nylon LP. These are for day trips, excursions, adventures and shopping. The LPC has been with me everywhere from art galleries to a mountain top.
For evenings or times when I only need a small bag, most of the time I seem to bring my pink MbMJ Percy. It's small but roomy so it fits all my essentials, and also it performs as a clutch with a cocktail dress as well as a crossbody with jeans and a tee.
If I travel alone #viajosola I never take anything the least bit expensive or showy with me so I don't draw unwanted attention.

I'm really a bit lazy but greedy when it comes to taking bags with me - I try to take multitaskers but I always bring several. I might not carry all of the bags I have with me; the obligatory nylon LP might well stay in my suitcase for the whole trip and I might carry the same bag for the whole duration of the trip. I just want them to be there. Just in case. Just like my travel towel - sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't, but it's always there. Anyone who's read the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy will understand...

I take the bags that match the outfits I plan to wear. That being said I lean towards these bags because they are small enough to wear day to evening but large enough to allow me to carry essentials. And, I love them. :love:

• Chanel medium classic flap in pearlized gray lamb - this is a GREAT neutral
• Miss Dior sliding chain in hot pink or cobalt blue (I pick the color that goes best with the clothes I'm packing)
• Proenza Schouler Small Courier in black because it has dual color hardware (silver tone and old gold) to give me flexibility with coordinating jewelry.
• Louis Vuitton Lockme II BB in Noir

If it's a beach locale I always take my trusty jute and python Prada tote along as well. It would seem like a fragile bag but that thing is like iron. And it looks so tropical and carries a ton.

Reactions: Rani and Mariapia
I'm a photo geek when it comes to travel, so I have a workhorse zip tote that I can sling over my shoulder and carry a DSLR, zoom lens, water bottle, umbrella, etc. with me where ever I'm at. I wish I could bring my luxury bags with me on trips, but since my hubby and I don't check bags, I only have a carry on and an under the seat duffel so I have to be very economical with what I bring, so I only have one purse with me the entire trip. Nevertheless, I enjoy packing light since it makes travel much much easier logistically speaking.

Reactions: Rani
If I'm in a city I will usually take an Hermès Kelly as my bag for all things except very "evening" evenings out - if those are likely I'll tuck in my Chanel black on black WOC or a BV knot clutch. If I need to carry more than a Kelly will hold I carry a Toolbox.
If I am at the beach I will bring something like a WOC for restaurant nights but for daytime it'll be a straw tote or similar - if I am near salt air and sand I am unlikely to bring an expensive bag.
Within a hotel I usually don't carry much to breakfast as I too will stop at my room before I leave the resort - again, if headed straight to beach or pool I'll bring a simple beach bag, at most possibly an Hermès Evelyne.
So for these kinds of trips I "nest" bags - I need to carry a laptop and camera always so will fly with a Le Pliage, a beach tote, or an H Garden Party, in which I will tuck the Kelly, Evelyne, Toolbox, etc. and I will put a clutch in my carry-on suitcase (I don't check bags, ever).

I too am often traveling for weeks or a month and part of the trip is likely to be the developing world/rural/an active adventure and in that case everything that comes with me is much simpler.

Reactions: Rani and Mariapia
I'm a photo geek when it comes to travel, so I have a workhorse zip tote that I can sling over my shoulder and carry a DSLR, zoom lens, water bottle, umbrella, etc. with me where ever I'm at. I wish I could bring my luxury bags with me on trips, but since my hubby and I don't check bags, I only have a carry on and an under the seat duffel so I have to be very economical with what I bring, so I only have one purse with me the entire trip. Nevertheless, I enjoy packing light since it makes travel much much easier logistically speaking.
That's me! :smile::smile:

Reactions: applecidered
I'm not really talking about sight seeing, but when you stay at a nice resort and want something chic and versatile to use for breakfast at the hotel, walking around the resort and going out shopping or for dinner somewhere nice. Do you take one larger handbag and one small handbag? I have taken an LV Pochette and Neverfull mm in damier ebene on a trips to Dubai and I also took my Mulberry black Lily to use in the evening. I am considering something new so just wondered what combination of handbags other ladies like to use.
:wave:hi Rani! Yay for your Mulb Lily. Based on what you wrote, for me personally I would choose my chanel WOC. I would rather carry something small for the things you mention & the woc would work well (for me) & look nice too, plus crossbody chic is always a good thing in my book. :flowers:

Reactions: Rani
Thank you for the replies everyone. I have loved reading them, you all have gorgeous handbags. I always feel that trips abroad always give us a chance to enjoy our bags. I usually can't help noticing and getting excited by recognising different brands and styles at the airport and at my destination. I forget to mention earlier that I normally also pack a Longchamp Pliage Tote to use on the beach and water parks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kendie26