Which grammar/spelling errors are your pet peeves?

Same here! It spoils my appetite. :smile:
Menu writers seem to have a language of their own. The first time I encountered crème brulée, I was bewitched into ordering it because it was described as "salamanderized". I later found out (thank you, internet) that this word doesn't exist. The crème brulée can be caramelized in a salamander oven, so the menu writer extended the oven description into a descriptive adjective for the dessert.

Major pet peeves of mine:

there/they're/their
too/to (please use it correctly)
it's supposedly, not supposebly
your/you're
any word(s) misspelled drives me crazy
improper usage of except and accept
no such word as "irregardless"
remember basic rule of thumb: "i before e, except after c" (ex: receipt)

That's all I can think about right now, but I know there are more.

Menu writers seem to have a language of their own. The first time I encountered crème brulée, I was bewitched into ordering it because it was described as "salamanderized". I later found out (thank you, internet) that this word doesn't exist. The crème brulée can be caramelized in a salamander oven, so the menu writer extended the oven description into a descriptive adjective for the dessert.

Descriptive adjective??? Meh, That's one way of looking at it. Seems more like the writer doesn't grasp or comprehened the construct of the English language. That writer was guessing. No creativity, hence the made-up word. That's my pet peeve too!

My take away is... Professional standards across the board in a business, always. If there are simple spelling or grammatical errors being noticed, then what other mistakes are being made or being over-looked elsewhere?

We have a catering company on our film production, and all of their menu items (36 breakfast items and 20 afternoon items), are listed like this: (Agreed language of their own)

- Himalayan fruit salad with freshly picked mint
- Califorinia friut salad with imported Napa Valley grapes
- Chris' tuna salad melt made with freshly caught Nova Scotia tuna on lightly toasted sourdough bread
- Lightly fluffed scrambled eggs on a fresh open-faced croissant with melted shredded Cheddar from Maine. If you say Good Morning... We'll add our locally sourced crispy bacon! No Good Morning... No Love
- Avacado on Brioche, lighty drizzled with balsamic

Well, we all get it. Professional Standards.

Last edited:
Descriptive adjective??? Meh, That's one way of looking at it. Seems more like the writer doesn't grasp or comprehened the construct of the English language. That writer was guessing. No creativity, hence the made-up word. That's my pet peeve too!

My take away is... Professional standards across the board in a business, always. If there are simple spelling or grammatical errors being noticed, then what other mistakes are being made or being over-looked elsewhere?

We have a catering company on our film production, and all of their menu items (36 breakfast items and 20 afternoon items), are listed like this: (Agreed language of their own)

- Himalayan fruit salad with freshly picked mint
- Califorinia friut salad with imported Napa Valley grapes
- Chris' tuna salad melt made with freshly caught Nova Scotia tuna on lightly toasted sourdough bread
- Lightly fluffed scrambled eggs on a fresh open-faced croissant with melted shredded Cheddar from Maine. If you say Good Morning... We'll add our locally sourced crispy bacon! No Good Morning... No Love
- Avacado on Brioche, lighty drizzled with balsamic

Well, we all get it. Professional Standards.
It annoys me when people misspell common words, especially when it is obvious they know how to spell them and were just careless.

Also, I'm of the opinion that a possessive isn't different if the word ends in "s". It is Chris's tuna salad.

• Love
Reactions: QuelleFromage
By far and away my #1 grammatical pet peeve is when people use the pronoun “I” as an object: “I know my husband loves the kids and I as much as we love him.” It is like nails on a chalkboard. The proper object pronoun is “me” - “My husband loves the kids and me as much as we love him.” I cannot understand why people think it sounds smarter to use a subject pronoun as an object. It is such a common error … WHY?
Thank you for giving me this soapbox.

Thank you for giving me this soapbox.

You are welcome! :smile:
Your example is a good example of an "Über-Kompensation" - as we say in German - an over-compensation.
People know, that there are cases when "me" is wrong" and "I" is right.
So - to be on the safe side and avoid that mistake, they use "I" most of the time, even when it is wrong and "me" is right.

I find all those language topics always interesting. :smile:

Reactions: andral5