Which grammar/spelling errors are your pet peeves?

Jan 15, 2011
It annoys me when people misspell common words, especially when it is obvious they know how to spell them and were just careless.

Also, I'm of the opinion that a possessive isn't different if the word ends in "s". It is Chris's tuna salad.
YES! This "Chris' tuna salad" is my personal nails on chalkboard moment. (And you are correct....in most stylebooks, it is only with classical names that the "s" name ending does not require apostrophe plus "s".)

Reactions: whateve

Traminer

Dec 28, 2014
I wonder if auto-correct is to blame, but lately I have a work colleague continually sending emails with “latter” instead of “later”, ie I’ll explain “latter”. It doesn’t even make sense in the sentences and is driving me nuts :cursing:

That auto-correct very often is the most idiotic idiot of all! :smile:
Artificial intelligence is often lacking any kind of intelligence! :smile:

xincinsin

TEAM SCARF MISTRESS 2022
Jul 8, 2015
I read a lot of fanfic, and recently I've been coming across this misspelling: he loves to write music and preforms his own songs.
Can't even blame this on auto-correct. So does this mean many fanfic writers in my fave fandoms think that perform is pronounced preform? :-s

Jan 15, 2011
I read a lot of fanfic, and recently I've been coming across this misspelling: he loves to write music and preforms his own songs.
Can't even blame this on auto-correct. So does this mean many fanfic writers in my fave fandoms think that perform is pronounced preform? :-s
Unless it's some kind of magical pre-performance kinda like "precrime" in Minority Report?

I love fanfic too, but the grammar and spelling can be atrocious. There's a reason editors exist :smile:

Reactions: xincinsin