which goes first? sunscreen? moisturizer?

Jan 1, 2007
???
i never really knew which is best. thanks!
ps- what about makeup? i know it goes on last, but aren't we supposed to reapply sunscreen??? does that mean if i wear sunscreen i shouldn't wear makeup?
i am trying to learn to take better care of my skin, better late than never! :biggrin:

For my face, I put my sunscreen on first and let it dry, then I put on my moisturizer. I'm not sure if that's correct though. My primer and foundation have spf 15 so I personally don't worry about makeup. I just see it as added protection, kwim?

I've wondered about the reapplication thing too... Peter Thomas Roth makes a translucent sunscreen powder that's spf 30 and comes in a portable brush. I'm going to get some of that for summertime for easy touch ups.

I use my sunscreen as a moisturizer. I use Skinceuticals (available thru dermatologists) Sunblock 30 with titanium zinc, and it is very moisturizing and does great under makeup. I also use a mineral-type makeup which also naturally has sunprotection in it as well.

I use my sunscreen as a moisturizer. I use Skinceuticals (available thru dermatologists) Sunblock 30 with titanium zinc, and it is very moisturizing and does great under makeup. I also use a mineral-type makeup which also naturally has sunprotection in it as well.

I use this as well when I'm outdoors.

My order is moisturize, then make up which has SPF 15 so I don't use an additional sunblock.

I would like to find a good all-in-one moisturizer with SF. I put on my moisturizer before my SF (I've got it in my head that it'll work better, but I don't know if it's correct..).

For my face, I put my sunscreen on first and let it dry, then I put on my moisturizer. I'm not sure if that's correct though. My primer and foundation have spf 15 so I personally don't worry about makeup. I just see it as added protection, kwim?

I've wondered about the reapplication thing too... Peter Thomas Roth makes a translucent sunscreen powder that's spf 30 and comes in a portable brush. I'm going to get some of that for summertime for easy touch ups.
Just to let you know, putting moisturizer on after makes sunscreen less effective, you must put your moisturizer on FIRST then sunscreen. Suncreen should be your last step in your skincare regime, then you can apply makeup, you do not need to reapply sunscreen after foundation/makeup.

^ I had heard the opposite, that you have to let it sink into your bare skin for it to really work :shrugs:
That is 100% false, first off if you apply sunscreen before moisturizer your'e getting far less benefits from the moisturizer and just breaking down the sunscreen because sunscreen acts as a barrier against the sun... you do want to wait about 15-30 minutes after putting sunscreen on before going outside however, but putting on moisturizer after it decreases both your moisturizer's and sunscreen's effectiveness.

Just to let you know, putting moisturizer on after makes sunscreen less effective, you must put your moisturizer on FIRST then sunscreen. Suncreen should be your last step in your skincare regime, then you can apply makeup, you do not need to reapply sunscreen after foundation/makeup.

I totally agree with you on that! This is what I do and even my dermo said the same thing.