Which flap size is most versatile? Please help me choose...

bem3231

O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hello ladies...

I am new to Chanel, having been entrenched in LV for several years. I have recently begun to grow tired of my LV collection and am now branching into Chanel and Hermes.

I would like to purchase my first Chanel bag prior to the price increase, which is fast approaching. I am interested in a Classic Flap bag, black caviar with gold hardware - in my opinion this is a pretty timeless combo - I hope you agree! I also like the look of the beige with silver hardware, but I'm thinking that the black combo would be more versatile.

I am stuck on deciding between a jumbo and a m/l. I see this bag as being more of a 'occasional use' bag, not necessarily a daily use bag. I have a 21 month old daughter, so my go-to bags during the day are totes and comfy, accessible cross-body styles. I'd like a Chanel flap that I can take out shopping for a day or to lunch, but that can also transition easily into a dinner out, etc.

While I generally gravitate towards larger bags, for this purpose I'm wondering if the m/l would not be a better choice? I've looked at a bunch of threads with action shots, etc., and the jumbo looks to me like it might be a bit large. I am tall - 5'9" and 135 lbs.

Unfortunately I do not live close to a boutique so cannot pop in to try the different sizes on. I would wait until my next trip to a boutique, however as I understand it the upcoming price increase is going to be a sizeable one, so I'd love to sort this out prior to that, if possible.

I would love any and all feedback and opinions. Thank you! :smile:

Hi! Both Jumbo and M/L are great, but I would say based on all you shared, a jumbo would be a good choice for you! I'm 5'9" 140, and the Jumbo or Maxi are both great on tall girls. Jumbo is versatile, and goes from day to evening. Not too big, not too small. However, finding a black caviar with GHW right now will take a minor miracle. Perhaps post in the "desperately searching for" thread to get some leads.

Good luck with whatever you decide!! :smile:

Thank you for your feedback, MJ and Joansie! I have been looking at YouTube videos comparing the two, and it looks as if the m/l holds very little, so I'm beginning to sway towards jumbo. I am still curious to get others' feedback, though...

I have located one, so I guess I'm lucky - I feel like I need to decide soon so that I can pull the trigger before it's sold!

Thanks again!

i had the same dilemma as you when i was purchasing my flap....what size...

however then i tied it down to my needs (i'm a small bag kinda girl) and decided on a M/L.....obviously trying the bag in a boutique is ideal however if you do believe that you would prefer the jumbo get that - if the size doesnt suit you, you could always exchange it for a M/L one....

getting your first flap is one of the most exciting things ever!!! it was mine :smile: enjoy the moment!!!!

I had the same dilemma 2-3 years ago. I first ordered the m/l and i found it to be small for my needs, i exchange it to jumbo->black caviar with gold hardware,its simply a stunning bag in my opinion..I got mine years ago 1 day before price increase.LOL!!Goodluck dear.

jumbo IMO. You're pretty tall so i think jumbo would suit you better. Plus if you want to have a bit of the M/L flap look, you can just shorten your strap a little of the jumbo flap and it'll look just as good. You could even shorten the chains urself to make it look like a clutch for dinner.
I own both sizes and i still love my jumbo more. i use my M/L more for dinners.

I'm 5'3 and was facing the same dilemma a couple of months ago. I was dead set on getting the M/L for most of the reasons you have given.

But on trying both sizes in NM I immediately changed my mind to the jumbo. It's more versatile IMO.

I have to shorten the straps, cos of my height, but I don't regret my choice.

Can a jumbo carry a small foldable umbrella on top of usual necessities (basic)?

What about a waterbottle?

In the thread where people show what they carried in their bags I did see one person who fit a small umbrella in the jumbo, which was impressive! The jumbo seems to have considerably more capacity than the m/l from what I've seen.

i say jumbo as the size issue of medium flap is a bit small and once you fit a zippy wallet in it, if you have one in your LV collection, you cant fit anything else.... but if you get the jumbo you can fit tonnes more stuff in it... a little bit heavier but a lot more practical in putting stuff in wise, but go for the m/l flap if you are going to use the bag for more formal occasions, or the jumbo for more casual occasions... but personally i would say jumbo :biggrin:

ps once you get into chanel its just like LV you get addicted to it!!! its like your new heroin.... ;)

Thanks to all for weighing in - please continue to do so. Yes, the more that I'm thinking about it I'm wondering if a jumbo would not be more versatile in the long run. With a little one my lifestyle is not one where I'm 'out' nearly as much as I was before, so a jumbo would afford me the chance to use the bag alot more, I suppose... I do love the look and proportions of the m/l, though...

ps once you get into chanel its just like LV you get addicted to it!!! its like your new heroin.... ;)

Yes, I'm beginning to see that! Getting into Hermes and Chanel at the same time is like a double whammy of trouble! :P Already I'm lusting after the cream colored flap bags, even though I really do think that black is the way to go for my entry into the world of Chanel. The only real solution is to buy a cream one SOON... Oh dear.

Yes, I'm beginning to see that! Getting into Hermes and Chanel at the same time is like a double whammy of trouble! :P Already I'm lusting after the cream colored flap bags, even though I really do think that black is the way to go for my entry into the world of Chanel. The only real solution is to buy a cream one SOON... Oh dear.[/QUOTE]

OH GOD!!! both at once... ohhh thats a plunge into the deep end.... get that chanel first because they have those price increases very often more than hermes so you better get chopping!!!