Which fabric is BEST for sweaters in terms of comfort, appearance, and durability?

PurrseGal

Dec 1, 2008
What is your favorite fabric for sweaters or cardigans? Is Rayon a cheap fabric? I bought a turtleneck sweater from Express that's 80% Rayon, 17% Nylon, and 3% Spandex. It feels sooooo comfortable on my skin, but I don't know if it will hold up washes.

Which fabrics are low quality?

:ty:

stephc005

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
MD
i love the feel of cashmere but i hate keeping up with all the dry cleaning and it doesn't look or feel the same after washing it at home. i stick to simple cotton or a cashmere blend with silk like Prayes said.

lv-lover

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
I like cotton mixed with something stretchy. I would have said cashmere, but it's too labor intensive to wash.

mellibelly

Aug 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I say cashmere or merino wool. Cotton is ok, but never full on synthetics like rayon or acrylic. They never hold up with wear and washing and they just feel icky.

grayxie

NOMtacular!
Mar 28, 2008
PA
I agree with cashmere, or a cashmere/wool blend. Soooooooo comfy and non-itchy. There are different grades of cashmere, which is indicative of the price tag. I've seen cashmere at Target and you get what you pay for.

donnydp

Vanessa_CA
Jun 21, 2007
USA
Cashmere, but what it looks like after a washing. I would say thin material cotton with stretch. I hate wool sweaters period!

Gimmethebag

Gimme Gimme Gimme
O.G.
Dec 2, 2008
Chicago
Cashmere. I have a giant grey grandpa style sweater that I bought last year and it still looks brand new.

mocha beans

Jul 21, 2008
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
I prefer wool or cashmere, or some blend with wool or cashmere. I used to have alot of rayon-type sweaters, and they were so synthetic feeling and not as warm as natural fibers. I've only got a few wool sweaters, so the upkeep isn't too much for me yet.