Which Dooney do you use as a work tote?

kristyc

Aug 11, 2012
Looking for a new work tote to lug around a laptop and some papers (would still have a separate smaller purse for regular stuff - I'm currently using the one in my avatar).

Would love to know what you ladies use!

So far I've seen the Dooney Chelsea Shopper and it looks rather promising as well (but I'm still leaning towards the Dooney Cleo nylon for weight etc)

Please let me know what's been working out for you.

Looking for a new work tote to lug around a laptop and some papers (would still have a separate smaller purse for regular stuff - I'm currently using the one in my avatar).

So far I've seen the Dooney Chelsea Shopper and it looks rather promising as well (but I'm still leaning towards the Dooney Cleo nylon for weight etc)

Weight is a big consideration if you are lugging around a laptop and papers. Dooney makes some stunning leather totes, but they can get heavy. I think nylon or coated cotton are good alternatives. If you want leather, look at some of the lighter leathers, like saffiano, pebble, or one of the embossed leathers. Those are also durable and are easy to keep clean. Stay away from light colored (natural or vachetta) trim as they can show dirt. Also look for east/west styles, rather than north/south ones. It will make it easier to get stuff in and out.

I got this from a hopeful paramour for my birthday a few weeks ago.
It's perfect! It's navy accent matches my uniform, and has a zip top!
It's the Midnight Blue Charleston Shopper.
(I got salmon oil on my former work Dooney. It smells baaaaaad)

Attachments

• received_10155265279057673.jpeg
    received_10155265279057673.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 481
Reactions: Doggie Bag

I'd vote for a coated cotton tote. That's what I use.
Maybe something like this one
http://www.ilovedooney.com/1975-db-...or=5SBMSIBM#start=11&cgid=ild-bags-style-tote
or this one
http://www.ilovedooney.com/gretta-l...or=NGWHPABL#start=41&cgid=ild-bags-style-tote
this one is nice but no zipper closure
http://www.ilovedooney.com/nylon-sh...or=INHPPATN#start=51&cgid=ild-bags-style-tote

Ladies those bags are adorable! I love chevrons, stripes and plaid/tartan. Awww thank you so much for all the recs. Coated is now on the list of options as well. I love the structure and how indestructible they look!

Hi ladies,

I wanted to update you on which Dooney I went with (to help the next lady looking for a work tote).

After watching this video on using the Large Pocket Nylon Tote as a work bag , I figured that it would be my best option.

I hunted around and was really happy when I got a Dooney Navy Nylon tote from Goodwill for $40 (it's missing the shoulder strap though). They called it the Vanessa but I think it was wrongly labelled and this is the Large Pocket Nylon tote.

It's able to fit my 13.3" Dell Inspiron laptop, some papers, notepad, a 12oz thermos, powerbank, wristlet, scarf, sunglasses etc. When it's empty, it's heavier than I expected (probably due to the leather trimmings etc) but only because I had no idea of what to expect from a nylon bag. If it's just between the car and the office, I'd keep the laptop inside, but for a longer commute, I feel better having the laptop in it's own sleeve and only keeping the files and adapter in the Dooney (I really don't want to tear the bag).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.. and thank you all for helping me choose it!

vanessa-indoor.jpg

vanessa-sunlight.jpg

vanessa-interior2.jpg

vanessa-interior.jpg

Last edited:
I use this one. I have it in the color Elephant (shown) and purchased it from QVC on EasyPay. Love it! It doesnt have the center divider and it holds so much .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 258
I use my Willa in saffiano when I travel and I need something fancier. The center compartment is large enough for my laptop and a few files. I'm careful not to overload it though, it's not really built to carry a heavy load. Claremont Dover is my daily driver for work.