Which do I keep? Help please!

msd_bags

O.G.
Jun 23, 2013
So I just posted the red Nikki (Cardinal Red?) with birdie lining that I bought a few months back but which just reached me. It is in very good condition and color is very very nice! I got it pre-owned for about $100. On the other hand, I've had my red Michael Kors hobo with braided strap, forgot its official name, for about 3 years now. It is still in very good condition. I didn't use it very often and actually since I've been into RMs I think I have not used it for over a year already. Its leather is thick and supple and I just love the braided handle/strap. I got it from ebay for about $250 NWT. But somehow since tPF, I've been exposed to other brands and I no longer think MK is special.

As the 2 bags are both hobos and color difference is just subtle, which do you think should I keep? In my country, RM is not really known, so in terms of resale, MK has a better market. Here are some photos. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    504.1 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    486.2 KB · Views: 470
So I just posted the red Nikki (Cardinal Red?) with birdie lining that I bought a few months back but which just reached me. It is in very good condition and color is very very nice! I got it pre-owned for about $100. On the other hand, I've had my red Michael Kors hobo with braided strap, forgot its official name, for about 3 years now. It is still in very good condition. I didn't use it very often and actually since I've been into RMs I think I have not used it for over a year already. Its leather is thick and supple and I just love the braided handle/strap. I got it from ebay for about $250 NWT. But somehow since tPF, I've been exposed to other brands and I no longer think MK is special.

As the 2 bags are both hobos and color difference is just subtle, which do you think should I keep? In my country, RM is not really known, so in terms of resale, MK has a better market. Here are some photos. What do you think?
I say if you haven't used the MK in a year... and you recently got a RM bag in a similar color...

It is time to let the MK bag go and KEEP the Nikki, ;)

I have a red Nikki and I love it.

even though you say you like the MK bag, you haven't been using it
and it's better for resale, so I say sell that one and keep the RM bag

however, you posted on the RM subforum so bias is going to be towards RM

Based on resale value, sell the MK bag.

Based on personal preference, sell the MK bag. I'm sorry but the red birdie linings are my favorite and I would give up almost any of my mid-range designer bags for another one of them.

Thanks for your responses ladies! Decisions, decisions...

At this time I'm leaning towards selling the MK, if only for the resale value. But as I look at the pictures, I also see how neat the MK looks. Makes me confused again...

which one has better leather? I like the look of the mk but I don't actually like the brand... I'm not a fan of the nikki either sorry to say
just go with your gut feeling and keep the one u like most regardless of resale value

which one has better leather? I like the look of the mk but I don't actually like the brand... I'm not a fan of the nikki either sorry to say
just go with your gut feeling and keep the one u like most regardless of resale value
I'd say the MK has buttery soft grained leather while the RM has the smooth non-grainy type. I think you captured how I feel - "I like the look of the mk but I don't actually like the brand". Well, I liked it before, but not anymore, more so its logo bags. For this red bag, aside from the MK charm it is not easily recognizable as MK.

can you sell the MK bag for the price you paid for it? I say if you haven't been using it there's a reason for that. But you could also keep it and remove the MK charm.

I would keep both, I really doubt you would get much for the used MK, although I'm not sure which country you're in and how available and desirable they are. They both look like nice bags, I carry both MK and RM and would carry both of these. If you don't like the MK logo just take off the charm like sdkitty suggested, no one will know what brand it is and it looks like nice leather.

can you sell the MK bag for the price you paid for it? I say if you haven't been using it there's a reason for that. But you could also keep it and remove the MK charm.

I would keep both, I really doubt you would get much for the used MK, although I'm not sure which country you're in and how available and desirable they are. They both look like nice bags, I carry both MK and RM and would carry both of these. If you don't like the MK logo just take off the charm like sdkitty suggested, no one will know what brand it is and it looks like nice leather.

If ever, I'm hoping to be able to sell the MK for 30%-40% off the price I paid for it. It is still in excellent condition. I like tassels in bags, unfortunately the MK charm is linked to the tassel and cannot be separately removed.

They are both nice!! This RM red is really a very gorgeous color.

My thoughts now -- I love them both, but maybe I have outgrown MK (the brand and not really the bag). If I outgrow RM in the near future, at least I will be stuck with a cheaper purchase. Much as I would like to keep both, I know I will not be using both, so it is not practical. My hesitation with the RM now is that it is not totally broken in yet so it does not slouch as beautifully as my other Nikkis. I'm not sure if this leather is the type that will really soften with use. Hopefully yes.

That MK is awesome. If you remember the name, please come back and post because now I want one!

I'm not really into slouchy bags and the Nikki looks like a right PITA to get into. But if you haven't been using the MK and already are used to carrying a Nikki, then keep the RM.