Tech Which cellphone do you have?

Iphone 6s that needs replacing. Won’t hold a charge, always having to charge even with a new battery, which is frustrating. Freezing up, miscellaneous issues. I think somehow they make them to only last so long in order to force you to purchase a newer version. IMO.

I was using an Essential phone until my recent trip to Europe. I liked it a lot. Was able to snag it for $250 on a mess up promo by Sprint, unlocked it and put it on my existing T-Mo plan. The frame was a mix of titanium and ceramic with a screen that took up almost the whole front of the phone. Probably the most aesthetically pleasing phone I've owned. It still has solid specs, so if you're in a pinch and need a good phone to last you a couple years, you can probably pick one up for $300-$400.
Anyway, I lost that in Madrid and picked up a cheapo Huawei. It was supposedly a 2018 model, but my OnePlus One, from 4+ years ago was faster. At least it was able to do the basic things I needed while in Europe. Got back and immediately started looking for a replacement. There are currently a few midpriced phones with flagship specs. Nokia 7.1, OnePlus 6T, Samsung GS8, so in the mean time, I picked up a OnePlus 3T for $175 while I decide which phone I want long term. Even though it's 2 years old, it has one of the top 5 fastest processors, so it's def quick enough for daily usage. There were some issues with the camera, but mostly software related and I installed a hacked Google Cam from the Pixel 3, which seems to have cured most issues.
But yeah, I guess my point was that I've noticed in the past 4 years that, for me, there's no need to buy the latest and greatest phone every year. If you get a high end phone, there really should be no reason it can't last 3-4 years. Four years ago, I let my contract with AT&T expire, bought the OnePlus One, brand new for $375. At the time, it had the same specs as the iPhone and Galaxy. Hopped on a prepaid plan with T-Mo for $40 and never looked back. Over the past 4 years I've spent a total of $925 on 4 phones. If I hadn't lost my Essential phone, I'd have only spent $625. I see the prices of the new Note and iPhones and flip out. Apple has the nerve to market a "budget phone" that costs almost $800! Hahaha! The top of the line OnePlus 6T, which has better specs, is almost $200 less. But hey, Apple has done a great job at creating an ecosystem that's REALLY hard to leave. Hell, there are jokes about people not wanting to date someone cause their texts came over in green and they didn't want to date someone who couldn't use iMessage. But if you ever think "I'm paying a grand or more every year or two on a phone" and think that's crazy, there are plenty of options. Sure, at first the switch might be painful (there are YouTube guides if you're curious), but when you have that extra cash each month and every year, it might be worth it.

Reactions: Lilybarb
@Charles - Back in the day my very first phone was a Nokia bar phone. Loved it, worked wonderfully but then At&t’s software was no longer compatible. Then another Nokia, flip phone - same issue, no longer compatible. Then the smartphones, & it’s been a headache ever since.