Which boy bag?

Annachka

Apr 22, 2015
I’ve always wanted a boy bag and ill finally be able to get one in a few months!
I was just wondering what style & color would you suggest? I think I want a medium since I think the small may be too small. I also want one that I can wear daily .If I have to baby the bag I just won’t wear it. What do you think is the most versatile in terms of leather and color?

Since you want to wear it daily...my suggestion would be black and caviar leather. Black is classic and goes with practically everything. It also eliminates color transfer fears..if you wear dark pants especially jeans this is quite important. Caviar leather is durable and less prone to scratches, scuffs, etc. The final piece is hardware...obviously you may have a personal preference for gold or ruthenium which are the most common. Shiny silver and light gold are somewhat less common I think. Ruthenium is probably the most understated and maybe more durable with regards to chipping. You should also consider whether you prefer the traditional quilting pattern or the chevron pattern. Lots of decisions...!

Browsing the forum and seeing pictures is very helpful. Hopefully you are close enough to a boutique to go try some on before purchasing. Hope that helps a little.

There are many members here who are far more experienced with the brand than me and I am sure they will chime in too. Good luck with your purchase!

I would suggest the medium Boy. The small is, well, small. Because the Boy is fairly stiff and structured, there's not a lot of room to "squeeze" in extra stuff, like you can with a softer bag. I agree with what @Newbie2016 said about color transfer. If you want to wear the bag with the single chain (instead of doubled), it hangs fairly low and would have clothing contact. I wouldn't want to worry about color transfer, so I'd go with navy caviar or black caviar. Hardware and pattern I feel is personal preference, so go with yours. I love the chevron. :smile: Have you tried on the Boy in person yet? I am in love with my Boy bags, but they are prone to corner wear because of how the bag sits and the stiffness, so I do't wear them daily. Just something to consider as you move forward.....good luck with your purchase!

Reactions: Annachka
Another vote for a dark color and caviar, in new medium (not old medium). I waffled between both medium sizes - old medium can only fit one large wallet and a lipstick, not much else. New medium can carry a large wallet and a slim sunglass case, with a bit of room to spare. I thought I was going to be stuck on black since it's the most popular, but it's sold out everywhere where I live, and I was super sold on the navy - almost as dark as black, no worries about color transfer, and more unique. I don't feel like I sacrificed going with that one. (But caviar was a dealbreaker; I knew I'd baby calf or lambskin and not end up wearing them as much.)

I'm thinking to go with black in either calfskin or caviar with ruthenium hardware. I love the gold hardware, but it looks a lot more flashy, which I'm not sure I like. I don't really see many people with Chanel bags where I live (lots of LVs though!) and I think the gold hardware may be a bit much.

Do you happen to know if black boys are easily available in the stores, or would I have to be put on a wait list?

QUOTE="Newbie2016, post: 32248326, member: 602310"]Since you want to wear it daily...my suggestion would be black and caviar leather. Black is classic and goes with practically everything. It also eliminates color transfer fears..if you wear dark pants especially jeans this is quite important. Caviar leather is durable and less prone to scratches, scuffs, etc. The final piece is hardware...obviously you may have a personal preference for gold or ruthenium which are the most common. Shiny silver and light gold are somewhat less common I think. Ruthenium is probably the most understated and maybe more durable with regards to chipping. You should also consider whether you prefer the traditional quilting pattern or the chevron pattern. Lots of decisions...!

Browsing the forum and seeing pictures is very helpful. Hopefully you are close enough to a boutique to go try some on before purchasing. Hope that helps a little.

There are many members here who are far more experienced with the brand than me and I am sure they will chime in too. Good luck with your purchase![/QUOTE]

I actually haven't tried it on in person :sad: I probably should haha. Right now I'm thinking of getting the black with ruthenium hardware. I'm not going to say that it will be my only chanel, but I want it to be something I can use for a long time until I get another. I also want to be able to use the bag everyday, otherwise I can't justify the price.

I would suggest the medium Boy. The small is, well, small. Because the Boy is fairly stiff and structured, there's not a lot of room to "squeeze" in extra stuff, like you can with a softer bag. I agree with what @Newbie2016 said about color transfer. If you want to wear the bag with the single chain (instead of doubled), it hangs fairly low and would have clothing contact. I wouldn't want to worry about color transfer, so I'd go with navy caviar or black caviar. Hardware and pattern I feel is personal preference, so go with yours. I love the chevron. :smile: Have you tried on the Boy in person yet? I am in love with my Boy bags, but they are prone to corner wear because of how the bag sits and the stiffness, so I do't wear them daily. Just something to consider as you move forward.....good luck with your purchase!

Reactions: stylistbydesign
I agree about going with a darker colour for daily wear, however it’s a boy so I feel like you can have fun in ways that won’t depreciate the bag that maybe would with a classic flag. If I could get a boy I would get a navy blue or emerald green caviar or a patent red. Sort of toughen it up a bit without going over the top. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

New Medium, navy color, caviar leather. I used to carry big bags, but I can fit my essentials in this bag and yet it is not a huge bag. It is good for day or night, the color goes with everything, and you can wear it on the arm, long strap over the shoulder, strap doubled so it is shorter over the shoulder, and maybe even cross body if you are on the smaller side. It is big enough, yet small enough, and caviar leather is durable. No regrets!!! I did eventually purchase an old medium in metallic bronze and I love it too, but definitely have to use a tiny makeup pouch, and only 1 small patch pocket inside. Good for evenings only.

Reactions: ChanelCanuck
My vote is old medium in black caviar with ruthenium hardware.

I have both old and new-med size Boys and in fact new-med was my first Boy (and first-ever Chanel). But it took me a long time to get used to it as the structure and larger size made it a bit too clunky. When I first started carrying Chanel, i felt a bit flashy so a low-profile bag was easier for me to ease into wearing Chanel.

Reactions: ironic568