Which Birkin should I buy?

After all the advices. I have come to a conclusion. I shall hold my money and studying more about investment. If I decided to buy a Hermès bag, I shall go with my heart not my brain. Maybe do both (stocks and bags) if I have enough capital? Haha. Thank you very very much taking time to help people you have never met and gave your genuine advices.

If you do your investments well you won’t have a problem buying a a Birkin as a reward. Good luck!

Birkins are nice, compared to many other bags, because they tend to maintain their value. However, fashion trends change and colors, sizes, and styles go in and out of vogue so their value is not guaranteed. Furthermore, due to the price, transactions on the secondary market can be risky and/or difficult so a middleman is often used which will further decrease the amount of money one can realize from a bag sale. The resale value is a nice reassurance to those who want to own and carry a Birkin, but one should not buy a Birkin simply to make money later as that is unlikely, especially from an already second hand bag, IMHO.
excellent post!

Reactions: acrowcounted
OP, sorry to be yet another poster to burst the bubble of your idea.
You have had a lot of wise advice on why you idea is flawed.

I apologise for being blunt but I am worried by much that you have written.
It shows that you have very little idea about investment/savings in general. Keep your money in your bank account until you have gained a lot more experience. You admit that you know little about Hermes - so stay away from this minefield.

In answer to the question, 'What should I invest in?'
The best response should be, 'This is not an investment forum. You should look elsewhere for that kind of advice.'

The fashion industry uses the term 'investment' in a different way to the fiscal industry.
The articles that pop up from time to time suggesting that Birkins are a good investment are more justifications for spending thousands on what is merely a handbag. Just because the price new continues to rise, it does not mean that an older second hand bag will realise that price in resale.
In general the only way in which they can be seen as an 'investment' is as part of your wardrobe which you will use for years to come and be pleased to have been able to buy for say 7000 when the cost some years later is 14000.
There are headlining exceptions like the diamond encrusted Himalayans.
Unless you are in the business of dealing in handbags, you are more likely to realise less than you paid on resale.
You have to take into account dealing costs (20-30%) when you go down one of the consignment or auction routes.
They could easily cancel out any increase in value.
You would be very lucky to get be able to deal person to person and get 100% of your sale price.
I agree with all you said, the bolded is what I call a fashion investment. i.e. the item is ageless, timeless? etc..

Reactions: rm_petite
I recently had a a chat with a re-seller in Southeast Asia. There the rule is the smaller the better, neutral colors like black, etain, etoupe or gold (not blue). Gold hardware. (not platinum)
I buy the bags I like the most and enjoy wearing that is my “investment strategy” :smile:
I have never sold an Hermes, they are too beautiful.

Last edited: