Which Bayswater To Buy? Please Help!

lizzyq

Carven Craving
Jun 14, 2012
Dull Antique Brass vs. Shiny Soft Gold fixtures on black leather Bayswater:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hello Mulberry fans! I just ordered the Bayswater in Black Natural Leather yesterday on Net-A-Porter. They are amazingly efficient and it arrived today!

Now I'm debating the fixture finish. The Black Natural Leather bag has the dull Antique Brass finish but I'm considering the Black Soft Spongy Leather bag with its shiny Soft Gold fixtures.

The shiny gold fixtures might make the back more versatile, transitioning between casual and chic/professional.

What do you think? Should I return the Natural w/ Antique Brass and get the Soft Spongy w/ Soft Gold?

Also, does anyone have experience with these leathers? I would prefer the more durable leather that ages well. Any insights would be a huge help.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2351-Bayswater.jpg
    DSCN2351-Bayswater.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 7,491
  • Screen shot 2013-01-10 at 3.07.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-10 at 3.07.42 PM.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 7,719
  • Screen shot 2013-01-10 at 3.08.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-10 at 3.08.30 PM.png
    163 KB · Views: 7,857
I have black nvt with brass hardware. I love her. She is perfect for every day work. However I still want another black with nickel for dressier days.
Can you go into a store? If not,
I would order the black with soft gold and see. If you don't like then get the black nvt.

I have black nvt with brass hardware. I love her. She is perfect for every day work. However I still want another black with nickel for dressier days.
Can you go into a store? If not,
I would order the black with soft gold and see. If you don't like then get the black nvt.

Thanks for the insight! I think I'm going to make the switch. I've already been kicking myself for doing Net-A-Porter with this indecision. It'd be so nice to just go to a store, feel the leathers and exchange/upgrade it. I'm in Philadelphia PA USA, right between NYC and Washington DC where there are Mulberry stores. I almost drove the 1hr 45min (each way) to the store in Short Hills NJ yesterday (call me Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka, "I want it NOW!").

lizzyq said:
Thanks for the insight! I think I'm going to make the switch. I've already been kicking myself for doing Net-A-Porter with this indecision. It'd be so nice to just go to a store, feel the leathers and exchange/upgrade it. I'm in Philadelphia PA USA, right between NYC and Washington DC where there are Mulberry stores. I almost drove the 1hr 45min (each way) to the store in Short Hills NJ yesterday (call me Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka, "I want it NOW!").

Hehe!! Congrats on getting a Bayswater.

Thanks for posting this thread, lizzyq, I have had the same thoughts, although I'm not at all anywhere close to buying anything. I like the brass HW, but prefer it on brown leathers. I think the gold or the (maybe my favourite:smile: nickel will look more elegant and professional for the black leathers. In M's pictures the spongy leather looks lovely, but I am unsure if it would keep up with my regular commute and sometimes heavy document loads. I'm curious to see what others will say to you about this. :smile:

I prefer the soft gold, but really don't like the soft spongy leather. I believe that this leather is thinner than the NVT, and I just don't like the feel of it (sorry for the fans!). So I'd keep the brass.

Wow, thanks for all the input! I'm definitely returning the NVT with brass for something black with soft gold fixtures. Being in such a hasty frenzy, I overlooked the Soft Gold Grainy Print Bayswater! (guessing this is the same as N-A-P's "textured-leather" Bayswaters)

Does anyone have experience with the Grainy Print leather?

I will be making the 3.5 hour round-trip drive to buy it in person at a Mulberry store but would like to know how the leathers hold up (shape, durability). Protective leather treatment and an internal organizer will be used. Thanks again for all the help, I've been scouring the other M threads but there's no such thing as too much info when it comes to premium purchases!

Grainy Print vs. Soft Spongy Leather (both locks soft gold):
attachment.php

Attachments

• Grainy vs Spongy.png
    Grainy vs Spongy.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 9,346
Thanks for posting this thread, lizzyq, I have had the same thoughts, although I'm not at all anywhere close to buying anything. I like the brass HW, but prefer it on brown leathers. I think the gold or the (maybe my favourite:smile: nickel will look more elegant and professional for the black leathers. In M's pictures the spongy leather looks lovely, but I am unsure if it would keep up with my regular commute and sometimes heavy document loads. I'm curious to see what others will say to you about this. :smile:

Well, if you're a fan of the nickel, you might be in luck depending on the look you want. I went with the Grainy Print (with soft gold) which comes in nickel. After scouring the forums and finding some remarks on soft spongy and grainy print, the latter sounded much more my style. Seeking something chic and durable, holding its shape (I put my bags to work!).

I would say Natural/NVT is the middle-of-the-road overall favorite on tPF. People both love/hate the Soft Spongy vs. Grainy Print depending on personal preference as they are quite different (light, slouchy, delicate vs. heavy, structured, durable) but both more elegant leathers than NVT.

As I sit here waiting to the delivery man to arrive with my new bag, I'm too excited to think about anything else! So here are some comments I'd found and complied regarding the leathers (some out of context regarding colors and not all print-leather comments specify if they mean Grainy Print) hope no people quoted mind:

Soft Spongy: A thinner more delicate leather, quickly becoming slouchy, very light weight.
"I also tried the Soft Spongy which was the lightest one they had and the finish of the leather is just gorgeous but it might lose shape easier than NVT, it's more delicate and apparently wouldn't age nicely." - Melu
"It is durable but [more] prone to staining and slouchiness than the NVT. You can stop the slouchiness by stuffing it when not in use and using bag liners/organizers to hold the shape." - steph22
"Mine seems to be holding up nicely. If you don't like smooshy bags, she will not be for you unless you use a bag liner/organizer." - Addy
"Warning - Ellie is going to be brutally honest here ......... SSL is basically a split leather (the hide thickness split) - basically its the equivalent of veneer rather than solid wood. The process of tanning desiccates leather, the thinner the hide the greater the risk of drying out which invariably leads to splitting, cracking, peeling. No amount of polish/moisture from above will resolve this because it is the hide surface moving off the thinner membrane. Im sorry to be blunt but to say I am not a fan of this leather is an understatement." - Mulberry Ellie

Pics of Soft Spongy leather found on tPF: black bayswater - CookyMonster; black mabel hobo - shopaholicmum; chestnut bayswater - Mooshooshoo
attachment.php

Grainy Print: Most structured & durable, also makes for a heavy bag, more sturdy than NVT.
"My bays in flame (grain print) is much more durable and doesn't need babying as much, ive found the grainy leather comes up thicker and more sturdy, so might not be as unstructured." - Donna.west44
Note: Donna also went on to debate selling her Oak NVT to get a grainy print b/c she liked how sturdy it was on her flame Bays.
"I saw a oak printed alexa! Oh my goodness she was so sturdy and the leather so thick, perfect for casual but the printed adds a little something so it's brill for smarter days or work too so she was bought immediately!" - Donna.west44
"I love printed in oak but I sold my black printed east west for the normal NVT one. I did feel printed felt too formal but this was black printed." - CPrincessUK
"I have an oak printed and really love it. It's a bit more unique and more structured than everyone else's nvt oaks. It might be a little heavier than nvt though?" - Saltyseabiscuit
"I have a chocolate printed east west bays and the leather seems to be indestructible. It has been out in 2 winters without even a coat of colonil, although I have treated it now. Not sure if oak printed is as rugged, I am much more careful with my oak nvt bays but prefer the softer leather on the bigger bag. I think the oaks printed bays is very structured and quite formal, depends on what you use it for." - stopmenow
"The printed bayswater is so beautiful I wasn't sure about her at first. But the more I carry her the more I love her. And I don't have to worry about the marks and scratches. So treat yourself to the printed oak or maybe even the black printed which looks so sophisticated." - Sydee
"I have owned both chocolate and black printed Bays in the past and found I made very little use out of them as they seemed too stiff and structured to go with my casual clothes, so I was only really wearing them at work." - Onebagtoomany

Pics of Grainy Print leather found on tPF: black mini del ray - thelittlestar; deer brown del ray - bagcrazy123
attachment.php

And deer brown bayswater - Rhirhi3; deer brown bayswater - dilsta
attachment.php

Attachments

• SSL.png
    SSL.png
    353 KB · Views: 4,939
  • GPLDelRay.png
    GPLDelRay.png
    386 KB · Views: 4,912
  • GPLBays.png
    GPLBays.png
    441 KB · Views: 5,597
Well, if you're a fan of the nickel, you might be in luck depending on the look you want. I went with the Grainy Print (with soft gold) which comes in nickel. After scouring the forums and finding some remarks on soft spongy and grainy print, the latter sounded much more my style. Seeking something chic and durable, holding its shape (I put my bags to work!).

I would say Natural/NVT is the middle-of-the-road overall favorite on tPF. People both love/hate the Soft Spongy vs. Grainy Print depending on personal preference as they are quite different (light, slouchy, delicate vs. heavy, structured, durable) but both more elegant leathers than NVT.

As I sit here waiting to the delivery man to arrive with my new bag, I'm too excited to think about anything else! So here are some comments I'd found and complied regarding the leathers (some out of context regarding colors and not all print-leather comments specify if they mean Grainy Print) hope no people quoted mind:

Soft Spongy: A thinner more delicate leather, quickly becoming slouchy, very light weight.
"I also tried the Soft Spongy which was the lightest one they had and the finish of the leather is just gorgeous but it might lose shape easier than NVT, it's more delicate and apparently wouldn't age nicely." - Melu
"It is durable but [more] prone to staining and slouchiness than the NVT. You can stop the slouchiness by stuffing it when not in use and using bag liners/organizers to hold the shape." - steph22
"Mine seems to be holding up nicely. If you don't like smooshy bags, she will not be for you unless you use a bag liner/organizer." - Addy
"Warning - Ellie is going to be brutally honest here ......... SSL is basically a split leather (the hide thickness split) - basically its the equivalent of veneer rather than solid wood. The process of tanning desiccates leather, the thinner the hide the greater the risk of drying out which invariably leads to splitting, cracking, peeling. No amount of polish/moisture from above will resolve this because it is the hide surface moving off the thinner membrane. Im sorry to be blunt but to say I am not a fan of this leather is an understatement." - Mulberry Ellie

Pics of Soft Spongy leather found on tPF: black bayswater - CookyMonster; black mabel hobo - shopaholicmum; chestnut bayswater - Mooshooshoo
attachment.php

Grainy Print: Most structured & durable, also makes for a heavy bag, more sturdy than NVT.
"My bays in flame (grain print) is much more durable and doesn't need babying as much, ive found the grainy leather comes up thicker and more sturdy, so might not be as unstructured." - Donna.west44
Note: Donna also went on to debate selling her Oak NVT to get a grainy print b/c she liked how sturdy it was on her flame Bays.
"I saw a oak printed alexa! Oh my goodness she was so sturdy and the leather so thick, perfect for casual but the printed adds a little something so it's brill for smarter days or work too so she was bought immediately!" - Donna.west44
"I love printed in oak but I sold my black printed east west for the normal NVT one. I did feel printed felt too formal but this was black printed." - CPrincessUK
"I have an oak printed and really love it. It's a bit more unique and more structured than everyone else's nvt oaks. It might be a little heavier than nvt though?" - Saltyseabiscuit
"I have a chocolate printed east west bays and the leather seems to be indestructible. It has been out in 2 winters without even a coat of colonil, although I have treated it now. Not sure if oak printed is as rugged, I am much more careful with my oak nvt bays but prefer the softer leather on the bigger bag. I think the oaks printed bays is very structured and quite formal, depends on what you use it for." - stopmenow
"The printed bayswater is so beautiful I wasn't sure about her at first. But the more I carry her the more I love her. And I don't have to worry about the marks and scratches. So treat yourself to the printed oak or maybe even the black printed which looks so sophisticated." - Sydee
"I have owned both chocolate and black printed Bays in the past and found I made very little use out of them as they seemed too stiff and structured to go with my casual clothes, so I was only really wearing them at work." - Onebagtoomany

Pics of Grainy Print leather found on tPF: black mini del ray - thelittlestar; deer brown del ray - bagcrazy123
attachment.php

And deer brown bayswater - Rhirhi3; deer brown bayswater - dilsta
attachment.php
Lizzyq your summary is impressive!!! which did you end up ordering and I can't wait to see your reveal.

I definitely want a grainy print Bays.

Lizzyq your summary is impressive!!! which did you end up ordering and I can't wait to see your reveal.

I definitely want a grainy print Bays.

My obnoxiously long posts often make me cringe, but tPF is an amazing resource so hopefully an abundance of info, details & opinions is a good thing. Granted, I haven't seen either SSL or GPL in real life yet.

I ordered the Grainy Print Bayswater yesterday (payday since I still need to return the NVT). I was pretty set on it but thanks to all my obsessive chatter about the decision, my mom in Washington DC was curious enough to go into the store there (2.5 hours from here in Philadelphia PA). She loved the Grainy Print too and gave me the SA's info.

Had them do overnight shipping for $20 extra since it would be torture if it got stuck in some warehouse over the weekend (and I saved $100+ on taxes by ordering rather than buying in-person). It's still torture waiting for the delivery man, they usually come around 3:00 p.m. but sometimes closer to noon. Now it's 12:30 and I mourn the good ol' days of when I lived in a Center City apartment building and the delivery guys came promptly at 10am, also having a doorman to reliably sign for packages.

SOOO EXCITED!! The anticipation is killing me. I even had a dream about it last night. Not a great one. Dreamt the package arrived but it was the wrong bag. Something unknown and canvas which I accidentally damaged in opening the box so wouldn't be able to return it and would have to wait even longer to finally have & use my Bayswater. The horror! But only a dream. Phew!