Which bag would you pick as your very first Chanel?

Which bag?

• Total voters

dotnative

O.G.
Jun 15, 2006
I am having trouble deciding which preloved Chanel bag I should go for. New is out of the question because of cost. Unless I go to Europe but right now that is not happening.
Here is what I am looking at, all in black:
  1. Vintage medium double flap, lambskin gold hardware
  2. Slightly newer Medium double flap in caviar gold hardware
  3. Single flap jumbo caviar silver hardware
  4. Double flap jumbo silver hardware (not sure I like gold hardware in a large bag)
I go back and forth between medium and jumbo. I like the way the medium looks but it is small and I fear it maybe regulated as an occasional bag. I fear I may regret getting a jumbo because it big and boxy.

This most likely be my only Chanel, unless I win the lottery. It has taken me a couple of years to save for this one so I want to get it right. What would you go for?

I’d go for the medium classic flap if it’s your first and last (hehe but that’s what we all say). And esp with the trend of smaller bags, even the small size is gaining tremendous popularity. And also it’s e newest Of the bunch :amuse:

Reactions: whyohhjay
Coming from someone who has 4 jumbos, get the medium if this is going to be your only Chanel bag. Your concern with the jumbo is that it may be too big and boxy and that’s a legit concern. My jumbo gets heavy often, although I don’t mind. Do I sometime think my medium bags are too small? Yes, but I can work around that easily by only carrying necessities. I can’t really work around the feeling of my jumbo being too big or heavy.

Reactions: PetiteAsian
Medium flap caviar with gold. That is also my first flap albeit not my last but I would be content even if it’s my last. I don’t use it as often as my minis but it’s definitely a forever item in my collection.

Reactions: Cams
I am having trouble deciding which preloved Chanel bag I should go for. New is out of the question because of cost. Unless I go to Europe but right now that is not happening.
Here is what I am looking at, all in black:
  1. Vintage medium double flap, lambskin gold hardware
  2. Slightly newer Medium double flap in caviar gold hardware
  3. Single flap jumbo caviar silver hardware
  4. Double flap jumbo silver hardware (not sure I like gold hardware in a large bag)
I go back and forth between medium and jumbo. I like the way the medium looks but it is small and I fear it maybe regulated as an occasional bag. I fear I may regret getting a jumbo because it big and boxy.

This most likely be my only Chanel, unless I win the lottery. It has taken me a couple of years to save for this one so I want to get it right. What would you go for?
I'm in the same boat as you - first and only chanel, wanted to make the right choice and had to save for ages to get there. I choose a vintage jumbo 13", has the 24k gold hw, lambskin. I wanted a bag that was more versatile, can hold more and when i stop babying it i can carry more often on weekends with shopping and running around. Right now its just a carry to work(office) bag.
Good luck and take your time with deciding. Think about the sizes - there are some you tubers doing 'what fits into my bag..." The double flaps don't fit much at all.

Last edited:
My first Chanel is also a black classic m/l flap with GHW! I think it surprisingly fits a lot (if you’re willing to keep a smaller wallet or just a card holder). I can fit a small and thin umbrella, a card holder, a small wallet, a lip balm, and my eye drops. It doesn’t get too heavy and I think most people can wear it often. Of course, if I have documents or the like then I’d be carrying a thin canvas tote around as well. But all in all it’s been great so far. I do feel the m/l size works on almost all body shapes and sizes.

I do like the Jumbo but even when it is empty it does tend to get a bit heavy. And if you don’t mind me asking, what sort of height and weight are you at? If you’re petite, the jumbo would definitely weigh you down and look much too big. You can also consider the kind of lifestyle you lead and if you’re going to be using it frequently. Judging by how you are saving up for it, do go into the store and try both on yourself! The SAs are usually friendly.

My first Chanel was a Single Flap Jumbo, black caviar, silver HW. It's perfect to me. Absolutely perfect. I'd never in my life trade it for a Double Flap Jumbo, or any other DF sizes for that matter. I can't get past the Double Flaps on Chanel handbags.. I see no point in them. It makes the bags heavier than they need to be, it takes up quite some extra space inside the bag, I find it fussy to get in and out of bags with DFs.. I just personally would never. I think that's something you should really think about. Does a Double Flap bother you or might it bother you over time?

I'm 5'8 for reference and the Jumbo looks like a good everyday bag on me, not too big IMO. I don't know your height but maybe you could look up Youtube videos on the Jumbo bags, usually people add modeling shots and tell you their height in their reviews, so you can get an idea how it would look on you!

I voted the 2nd option. If this will be your only Chanel, I feel like a medium is better as a from day to night bag. Caviar is more hard wearing... although I personally prefer the look of lambskin.
Btw, I said the same thing when I bought my first chanel bag about a month ago, but I am now saving up to buy one next year and the year after that!
Good luck on your purchase. Keep us posted. :smile:

For reference I am 5’4” and wear size 6.
I did go to store a few months ago to try them on. The jumbo was as big as I anticipated but it was defiantly boxy and and bit awkward, not sure I will like that. The medium did seem really small but I love how elegant it looks. That is why I go back and forth on the sizes.

For reference I am 5’4” and wear size 6.
I did go to store a few months ago to try them on. The jumbo was as big as I anticipated but it was defiantly boxy and and bit awkward, not sure I will like that. The medium did seem really small but I love how elegant it looks. That is why I go back and forth on the sizes.

The key is figuring out two things:

1. When are you planning on using this bag?
2. How much do you need to carry?

Your clear answer to these questions will help you decide. If you need an everyday bag, it depends how much you carry. If the M/L is too small for your needs you will use it only on rare occasions. Go to the store and carry what you will need to carry and see if it fits. If you can’t see it in person there are plenty of YouTube videos with people showing what fits in their Chanel bags.

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Not sure with my very casual lifestyle I can use a jumbo every day or have a medium classic flap for occasional use. I still want a classic but I do not think should spend that much on a bag I will only use occasionally. Thinking Maybe get a vintage classic flap or Diane flap for that purpose and get a reissue later down the line for more everyday use.

I would get the newer medium double classic flap first if you want the medium... but if you want bigger one that you can wear as a crossbody and one that you can fit a lot than the jumbo single with shw (for lighter purposes). I recommend trying them on in the store and then buying. I don't have either of those bags because i have an old medium boy bag and the reissue 227 (which i love and is one of the bags I reach for often). Gl on purchasing your first bag :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: OCMomof3
I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Not sure with my very casual lifestyle I can use a jumbo every day or have a medium classic flap for occasional use. I still want a classic but I do not think should spend that much on a bag I will only use occasionally. Thinking Maybe get a vintage classic flap or Diane flap for that purpose and get a reissue later down the line for more everyday use.

Why not get a reissue now? Honestly, of the three sizes, reissue 226 is my favorite and most used.