Which bag would you buy? (YSL or Celine)

lunastella

Jan 12, 2020
Hi! Long time lurker and this is finally my first post. I've been looking for an everyday crossbody bag that could hold minimal essentials (wallet, keys, phone, sunglasses--lately I've been carrying these without a purse :lol:) and not be too bulky. I have only ever purchased and currently own one designer handbag (Goyard Artois MM) and it has become my go-to work bag when I need to carry my laptop, books, papers, etc.
I prefer a bag I don't have to constantly baby, but I like to think I am careful when handling my bags.
I tend to wear lots of neutral colors and would prefer something more day to day for my 5'4 frame.

I currently am considering these two bags:
1. YSL Wallet on a Chain (large) in black with gold hardware
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.58.17 PM.png
2. Celine Medium Classic Bag in Box Calfskin in black
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.57.31 PM.png
I realize there's a steep difference in price haha. I like how there are no obvious logos and the classic/timeless style of the Celine bag but I worry about it getting scratched easily and if it's worth the price.
I also love the look of the YSL but I feel like it's classic gold hardware/monogram design is a bit too flashy, screams "designer" and something I see everywhere.

Would love any other suggestion you guys have! Thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited:
While I like YSL, I prefer Celine in this case, because it’s a bag not WOC. I own Chanel woc, it won’t fit sunglasses unless they’re flat. The positive side of woc is that you can put it in your Artois. Sorry not much help haha.

Reactions: lunastella
If you want a bag that you don't have to baby, then get the YSL. If you get the Celine, you probably won't use it for fear of getting scratches.

The YSL can also take you from day to night and be used on special occasions, which makes it more versatile if your collection is minimal.

Reactions: lunastella
If you want a bag that you don't have to baby, then get the YSL. If you get the Celine, you probably won't use it for fear of getting scratches.

The YSL can also take you from day to night and be used on special occasions, which makes it more versatile if your collection is minimal.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm scared of! I feel like I'll be so scared to use it for fear of scratching it! But do you think YSL will be a "classic"? It seems to go in and out of style...

Yeah that's exactly what I'm scared of! I feel like I'll be so scared to use it for fear of scratching it! But do you think YSL will be a "classic"? It seems to go in and out of style...

In terms of whether the bag is a classic, I actually think YSL is probably the most classic luxury brand outside of Hermes/Chanel/LV. I even thought about getting an Envelope bag in black pebbled leather with silver hardware at one stage.

If you use the bag to death and love it, then that's all that matters. However, YSL bags are prone to being on sale, so maybe keep an eye out on some of the online sales or download Shoptagr so they can notify you when your bag is on sale. If you want the boutique experience though, then that's a different story.

Let us know how you go!

In terms of whether the bag is a classic, I actually think YSL is probably the most classic luxury brand outside of Hermes/Chanel/LV. I even thought about getting an Envelope bag in black pebbled leather with silver hardware at one stage.

If you use the bag to death and love it, then that's all that matters. However, YSL bags are prone to being on sale, so maybe keep an eye out on some of the online sales or download Shoptagr so they can notify you when your bag is on sale. If you want the boutique experience though, then that's a different story.

Let us know how you go!
thanks for the info! that's really helpful! I think I'll try to get the YSL when there's a sale! :smile:

Reactions: inverved