Which bag to sell to fund white classic flap and is it a good idea?

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
Hi all, I can’t remember if I already started a thread like this a while ago as I’ve been having this dilemma for some time! I did a search but couldn’t find anything, so apologies if I’m repeating myself!

I used to own a lot of Chanel bags but lifestyle changes caused me to sell most of them off and I now have a very small collection. I have a classic flap, black caviar with gold hardware, and a black Trendy with light gold hardware, as well as a small (or is it medium??) black goatskin 19. As you can see, all my bags are black and I desperately want a white bag for summer. In summer I wear a lot of beige and white, and I don’t feel that a black bag works as well. I’ve been lusting after a white classic flap for a while but one of my bags would have to go in order to part fund it. Question is, which one?

My next question is, would buying a white classic flap be a mistake? I’ve heard so many horror stories of them turning yellow. I spoke to an SA who told me it happened to a client of hers and there was nothing Chanel could do. They sent it off and they weren’t able to fix it. She said she would never encourage someone to buy a white Chanel bag. This worries me a lot given the price but I see them on Instagram all the time and they look so beautiful.

I’d love to hear what you all think. Many thanks.

Since it seems like you are very concerned about the white yellowing, would you be okay with an off-white colored bag? Or a very very light/pale colored bag? Or would have to be a very stark white?
Good question! I was actually wondering myself if an off-white would be better for that reason. I wouldn’t want a beige bag but I suppose an off-white bag could still look pretty white!

If you are very concerned (understandably so), don't do it. If you really want a white bag, buy a different, less expensive brand. That way if something were to happen, you won't be out $10k.

For everyone suggesting an off white or other light color, the yellowing of color transfer issue is not exclusive to stark white. I had a light grey bag that discolored/yellowed really badly, so you kind of run that risk with any light colored bag.

If you are very concerned (understandably so), don't do it. If you really want a white bag, buy a different, less expensive brand. That way if something were to happen, you won't be out $10k.

For everyone suggesting an off white or other light color, the yellowing of color transfer issue is not exclusive to stark white. I had a light grey bag that discolored/yellowed really badly, so you kind of run that risk with any light colored bag.
Good point. I’m sorry to hear about your grey bag. I agree I can imagine it happening to any light coloured bag.

Thank you for starting this thread! I am in the same boat as you. I would love to add a light colored beige or white bag for spring/summer use but hesitant because of the long term wear on it and the yellowing. For such an expensive bag, we want to be 100% sure before taking the plunge right? The classic flap in white in particular is my dream bag! From my research, I found that the white will yellow in very dry climate and if you expose it to the sun a lot. So if you buy one, you may just need to cover it well when you go outside and not store it in a place where you get a lot of sunlight. You will also need to get a humidifier if you live a dry climate.

You can get other light colored brands like Prada reedition white crystal bag or YSL has great white bags too but if your heart is set on a white CF, remember that no other bag will fill that void and you will end up paying a lot more down the line due to all these insane price increases.

There are a few videos on YouTube about maintenance of white bags. Or maybe wait for a light beige color bag?

Good luck to you and update me on what you decide. Ugh I am also so confused :confused1:

The classic flap in white in particular is my dream bag! From my research, I found that the white will yellow in very dry climate and if you expose it to the sun a lot. So if you buy one, you may just need to cover it well when you go outside and not store it in a place where you get a lot of sunlight. You will also need to get a humidifier if you live a dry climate.
Agree, I want white too. But it sounds harder to maintain than caring for a rare orchid. So I might buy a dior.
my loewe mini puzzle in off white pebbled leather and my H mini della cavalleria in craie are fine though.

@honeybunch, if you had to sell one, I vote for the trendy, but I wouldn’t sell at all. It will be too expensive to get another if you have regrets.

Hi! I have both white and beige. I got the white classic flap first years ago with the intention of wearing it throughout spring and summer. While I wore it a fair amount the first year I got it, I realized I was always cautious of where I was taking it, covering it up at a restaurant, etc. cause it might get dirty. I also am not one to switch purses often so then I had to cater my outfits to the bag to avoid color transfer. The opposite is true with the beige I got last year. I never worry about it and I can wear jeans with it, which is one of my closet staples that I couldn’t wear with the white. Anyways, I still love the white flap and it’s perfect with certain outfits, but it’s not an everyday bag for me at all - maybe a couple times a year type of bag.

As far as yellowing, my bag is 5 or 6 years old and I don’t see any yellowing yet. BUT areas of the straps are definitely dirty or yellow probably from me not being careful and picking it up with lotion or sunscreen hands and staining it.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and luxsal
Hi! I have both white and beige. I got the white classic flap first years ago with the intention of wearing it throughout spring and summer. While I wore it a fair amount the first year I got it, I realized I was always cautious of where I was taking it, covering it up at a restaurant, etc. cause it might get dirty. I also am not one to switch purses often so then I had to cater my outfits to the bag to avoid color transfer. The opposite is true with the beige I got last year. I never worry about it and I can wear jeans with it, which is one of my closet staples that I couldn’t wear with the white. Anyways, I still love the white flap and it’s perfect with certain outfits, but it’s not an everyday bag for me at all - maybe a couple times a year type of bag.

As far as yellowing, my bag is 5 or 6 years old and I don’t see any yellowing yet. BUT areas of the straps are definitely dirty or yellow probably from me not being careful and picking it up with lotion or sunscreen hands and staining it.
This is good to know! Thank you! Which beige color do you have? The REV color or a special seasonal color. Thanks again for your insight.
I also dont have a large collection where I can rotate through the bags. I am also careful with bags and that may take the joy out of using the bag for me. Beige seems like a perfect spring/summer color too. I am waiting for the right color of Beige. Not the ones with yellow undertones.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Thanks so much to everyone for their input and advice. It sounds as if getting the white flap is too much of a risk. I agree vintage is the way if I do decide to get one. I would find it heartbreaking if a brand new nearly £7K bag turned yellow. I can’t stop thinking about it though!

I bought an iridescent white mini rectangular last year from the 21S collection. I had long admired the white classic flaps, but a white bag at that price point made me SUPER nervous.
But something to consider is that you wear classic flaps higher up on your body vs. the mini which is a crossbody bag, and that is an issue since I wear jeans so often. So now I realize that a white shoulder bag is easier to prevent color transfer since I often wear white or light color tops.
But knock wood, I have had no issues so far with my beautiful little mini. I just make sure I wear a white or light color top or cardigan that is a little longer so it is not rubbing up against my jeans.

And I was pleasantly surprised how sturdy the white calfskin from 21S; my son was putting something away for me in my closet, and for some reason he moved my white mini and places it on top of a beaded cocktail bag. YIKES! I didn’t notice until the next day, and sure enough, there were a couple of minor, yet noticeable dents on the bag from the beaded purse. I got a white microfiber cloth and gently rubbed the dents, and they soon disappeared. A year later and the bag looks brand new. So that scary little incident increased my confidence that it is more sturdy of a bag than it looks.

And at half the price of a classic flap, it is a much easier way to enjoy a white Chanel. Same classic Chanel look, but less investment, which brings less worry.

Last edited:
I bought an iridescent white mini rectangular last year from the 21S collection. I had long admired the white classic flaps, but a white bag at that price point made me SUPER nervous.
But something to consider is that you wear classic flaps higher up on your body vs. the mini which is a crossbody bag, and that is an issue since I wear jeans so often. So now I realize that a white shoulder bag is easier to prevent color transfer since I often wear white or light color tops.
But knock wood, I have had no issues so far with my beautiful little mini. I just make sure I wear a white or light color top or cardigan that is a little longer so it is not rubbing up against my jeans.

And I was pleasantly surprised how sturdy the white calfskin from 21S; my son was putting something away for me in my closet, and for some reason he moved my white mini and places it on top of a beaded cocktail bag. YIKES! I didn’t notice until the next day, and sure enough, there were a couple of minor, yet noticeable dents on the bag from the beaded purse. I got a white microfiber cloth and gently rubbed the dents, and they soon disappeared. A year later and the bag looks brand new. So that scary little incident increased my confidence that it is more sturdy of a bag than it looks.

And at half the price of a classic flap, it is a much easier way to enjoy a white Chanel. Same classic Chanel look, but less investment, which brings less worry.
This is an excellent point! I use mostly shoulder bags. Except for my Chanel 19, all of my bags are shoulder bags. I even use the Chanel 19 as a shoulder bag most of the time. A shoulder bag with a light colored shirt or sweater should work ok. But the main issue is placing it down somewhere. Will have to be careful especially around kids and in restaurants. I have an appointment at my local boutique tomorrow. My SA has two white CFs in stock. I am going to go check it out. I am actually considering it! Sorry OP, dont mind to hijack your thread.

Reactions: Sylly