Which Bag Should I Purchase Next?

Hi everyone! I'm a new member to TPF and am very excited to be here! :smile:

I'm hoping to get your recommendations for my next designer purchase. After more than a decade of being a designer handbag enthusiast and collector, I've realized that (probably for the first time ever) I currently don't have any contenders on my handbag wish list. So this seemed like the perfect opportunity to post my first thread! Let me know which bags I should checkout (if you could include photos with your recommendations that would be super helpful too). TIA!

Hello and welcome. Since you’ve already been collecting designer bags for over a decade, it would help if you shared what bags you already own and which ones you like/use the most.
Here are a few pictures of my current collection. The only bag not pictured is a vintage Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas Speedy 30 that I recently purchased for a custom DIY refurbishment project. Also, I purged a lot of pieces before our recent move so the bags that remained are the ones I actually use and enjoy. Generally speaking, my ideal bag is small to medium in size with a crossbody strap. I'm definitely not looking to add anymore totes nor any clutches or handheld options to my collection. Balenciaga, Givenchy, and Saint Laurent have been my favored designers for a while now because I really love classic pieces with an edgy twist. However, I've recently revived my interest in Louis Vuitton after a 2-3 year hiatus. I generally prefer classic, neutral colors but also love pops of color (though I usually relegate those to the spring/summer seasons). I also like to have fun with my collection. My Givenchy Rottweiler Antigona Tote and my Moschino Denim Overalls Backpack always get compliments when I wear them out because they are so different.

Top 5 Favorite Bags ATM (from my collection):
1. Hermes Noir Evelyne III 29
2. Givenchy Mini Cognac Croc-Embossed Antigona
3. Gucci Small Beige Velvet Marmont
4. Louis Vuitton Saumur 30
5. Fendi Snakeskin Monster Peekaboo

IMG_2072.jpg
IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg

I'm considering the Louis Vuitton Alma BB in the Damier Ebene or the Gucci Small Dionysus in the classic beige. I have the Dionysus in the pink version and love it but can't really wear it all year b/c of the color. I was thinking the classic beige would fix that. I've never had any experience with the Alma in any size but the BB looks up my alley. Has anyone on here had either? Pros/cons? Would you recommend them or something else? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 1.22.35 PM.png
d0f7cab840f08dab9659ca725b22c8a2.jpg

I am biased because I'm also thinking about the alma bb in damier ebene. I used to own this bag in epi leather a few years ago. I loved the functionality of having top handles as well as a shoulder strap. I ultimately sold it, I think because I got bored with the color. I'd love owning it in damier ebene since it's all-weather and can be dressed up or down easily.

The Gucci is cute too, though perhaps not as classic as the alma.

I don't have either of these bags, but I recommend the Alma since it looks like you don't have anything else in your collection that looks similar. I have tried it on in the store in epi leather, and it fits quite a bit. You can carry it by the top handles or wear it crossbody. The Gucci is beautiful too, but since you have the one in pink, maybe go with the Alma. Good luck!

I have the small Dionysus in navy and it’s one of my favorite bags. It can go from cocktails to casual. And it holds more than one would think. I also think it has more style and presence than the Alma (which I also like and have almost bought on occasion).

So, my strong vote goes for the Dionysus.

I am biased because I'm also thinking about the alma bb in damier ebene. I used to own this bag in epi leather a few years ago. I loved the functionality of having top handles as well as a shoulder strap. I ultimately sold it, I think because I got bored with the color. I'd love owning it in damier ebene since it's all-weather and can be dressed up or down easily.

The Gucci is cute too, though perhaps not as classic as the alma.
I forgot about the LV being all weather. That's a great point. Definitely easier to keep in good condition than suede.

I don't have either of these bags, but I recommend the Alma since it looks like you don't have anything else in your collection that looks similar. I have tried it on in the store in epi leather, and it fits quite a bit. You can carry it by the top handles or wear it crossbody. The Gucci is beautiful too, but since you have the one in pink, maybe go with the Alma. Good luck!
That's a good point. The Alma BB would be very different for me, and add a bit of diversity to my collection. :smile:

Reactions: BowieFan1971
I have the small Dionysus in navy and it’s one of my favorite bags. It can go from cocktails to casual. And it holds more than one would think. I also think it has more style and presence than the Alma (which I also like and have almost bought on occasion).

So, my strong vote goes for the Dionysus.
Having the small Dionysus in pink is definitely causing me to favor the beige Dionysus in this situation because I already know I love the design/functionality and I know what to expect. I think I'll ultimately get both the Gucci and the LV, it's just a matter of which one will be first haha.