which bag I should get first? Birkin30 or Bolide 31

stefhylo

May 11, 2020
Birkin 30 barenia leather or Bolide 31? I think eventually I will get both, but probably need 1 year or 2 to save up in order to get both bags. I love B30 barenia and will most likely get it from reseller, but I know that I won't be carrying it too often as I won't be using it for work. I like Bolide 31 a lot as well and for sure I will use it as a work bag.

Which one should i get first?

Barenia, barenia, barenia! Besides loving barenia, a birkin is easier to access the contents. Why not get a pre owned bolide and I gotta toss this in the ring — with COVID and many who are still working are working at home now, so if you fall into that category why not go for barenia now?

Reactions: terinicola
I'm not a Birkin gal but the B30 def holds more than a Bolide 31 because of the tapered shape of the Bolide. For a work bag I would look at the Bolide 35. (I don't carry my 1923 Bolide 30 if I have to put anything other than my regular purse stuff in it - otherwise I have to leave it wide open or it bulges out).

If you’re not in the position to buy now, and it will take 1-2 years of saving, why would you get a bag you won’t use? I’m with @jmen who suggested getting a bolide from reseller. I have both and use the bolide far more often, but that’s me. There are barenia bolides if you are patient and do your research. Happy hunting!

Your call but- I have both, LOVE both, and use both for work, travel etc. I have been going to work every day, so that's not an issue for either bag these days or in the foreseeable future ( although the strap and hands free DOES have me using the Bolide or a Kelly more than a B now). Both are eminently practical and fit enough ( even if you throw in some spare gloves, a mask, etc.). The Bolide can be found very reasonably at pre-loved sites, so perhaps consider that as well ( agree with above posters). If you find one that you love, that may be an answer, while you wait for an elusive Barenia B to appear. Good luck!!

I am also somewhat new to Hermès. I started with an Evelyne, then got a Bolide and next for me is the B35. Sort of working my way up feels right, taking the time to save up for each. The Bolide is really, really lovely and much more under the radar. And like referenced above- a strap is a nice option.

It’s not an dressy bag, but I do sometimes take it out to dinner (restaurants opened 3 weeks ago where I am), whereas I know a Birkin will be day only (at least for me) if that is something else to consider.

Since you've made up your mind about those 2 styles, the purchase order should be in which is available first ( specs to your preference). Both are classic designs, great choice to start with your collection. Good luck deciding!