Which bag for jeans & trainers?

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Hi
As it's winter, even when I wear jeans I still look fairly smart as I wear boots, but when weather gets a bit nicer I will start wearing trainers more with jeans on my days off, maybe even trackie's..... my question is what bag suits this casual look without looking a bit daft?

I currently have 3 SBS - choc, red onion and foxglove croc. I have been looking at ink antony messenger (the larger size) but feel even in sale at £440 its a lot for a bag I don't LOVE, albeit it's practical. I just need a bag that looks ok with jeans/trackie's and trainers, and going for walks with kids (maybe with wellies, raincoat etc).

What do you guys think? Would choc SBS look ok, or should I get ink antony, or any other suggestions? (Has to be cross-body)

PS - If my trackie's/leggings were black and/or I had black jacket would choc still be ok?

PPS - This is AFTER replying to love/hate thread and mentioning Antony was too masculing haha!!!!!!!!!!

TIA xx

Last edited:
I would have said your choc sbs would be perfectly fine. I've got an oak sbs & would happily wear that with jeans & trainers, in fact I felt the sbs smartened up that casual look a little. What colour are the trainers?

I wear a lot of jeans and trainers myself, i had a sbs and Antony and felt the Antony suited that look better personally. I actually had an ink Antony and thought it looked great with jeans (just wasn't me).

I think any NVT or Darwin bag in a neutral colour with a messenger strap looks great.

And chocolate is a great brown that looks just fine with black & jeans when you're dressing casually.

Having said that I'd never discourage a bit of Anthony-love - carrying mine today!

I would have said your choc sbs would be perfectly fine. I've got an oak sbs & would happily wear that with jeans & trainers, in fact I felt the sbs smartened up that casual look a little. What colour are the trainers?

Thanks for reply - like bags, I have more than one pair of trainers haha!!! Got a black pair of nike air and a few different pairs of white ones :smile:

I carry my choc regular Antony with boring regularity, on casual occasions such as yours - dog walking, trips to shops etc. She's very roomy and so easy to wear. If you want something smaller, have you looked at the Somerset satchel thread I started? I'm buying one of these as an alternative to my Antony - she's slightly smarter and classier, without being a showy bag, and fits close to my side. She can be worn on the shoulder or across the body. Worth having a look! Good luck and keep us posted!! ;)

I wear a lot of jeans and trainers myself, i had a sbs and Antony and felt the Antony suited that look better personally. I actually had an ink Antony and thought it looked great with jeans (just wasn't me).

That's what I'm wondering - not sure if the ink they currently have in sale is same shade as the older ink? Maybe its just the one on sale is calf leather.

I think any NVT or Darwin bag in a neutral colour with a messenger strap looks great.

And chocolate is a great brown that looks just fine with black & jeans when you're dressing casually.

Having said that I'd never discourage a bit of Anthony-love - carrying mine today!

Haha yes reading the love/hate thread there seems to be lack of love for poor Ant - in the M shop in Edinburgh the Ants are all beside the mens bags.....
I think wearing brown and black can look ok, but my friend once commented that she hated black and brown together and it just made me wonder!

I carry my choc regular Antony with boring regularity, on casual occasions such as yours - dog walking, trips to shops etc. She's very roomy and so easy to wear. If you want something smaller, have you looked at the Somerset satchel thread I started? I'm buying one of these as an alternative to my Antony - she's slightly smarter and classier, without being a showy bag, and fits close to my side. She can be worn on the shoulder or across the body. Worth having a look! Good luck and keep us posted!! ;)

Yes I did see your somerset thread, I like the bag, and think it would look great on others but don't think its really me.
I think it needs to be a med/large size so that I can fit in cardi/bits and bobs for kids... the weather in Scotland can change dramatically throughout day so if I'm out with kids it's handy to be able to have space in bag!!
I actually miss the days of buggy/nappy bag for this reason haha!!!!

It's a very unfashionable unloved bag but I use my Rosie satchel a lot "off duty ". Cross body compact and not for babying. I understand the practicality idea of the Antony but find it a bit too severe and masculine for me.

It's a very unfashionable unloved bag but I use my Rosie satchel a lot "off duty ". Cross body compact and not for babying. I understand the practicality idea of the Antony but find it a bit too severe and masculine for me.

Thanks...just had a look at Rosie satchel and it's just not me.

Well girls, so far so good, decided to stay in work for lunch and NOT visit M shop again, although ink ant is still in stock at M.com.
Seems to be 50/50 whether antony or my choc sbs would work best with jeans/trainers though so guess either should be fine (which translated SHOULD mean DON'T buy ink ant but will see if I can continue resisting......)

Yes I did see your somerset thread, I like the bag, and think it would look great on others but don't think its really me.
I think it needs to be a med/large size so that I can fit in cardi/bits and bobs for kids... the weather in Scotland can change dramatically throughout day so if I'm out with kids it's handy to be able to have space in bag!!
I actually miss the days of buggy/nappy bag for this reason haha!!!!

I bought the regular choc Antony when I had a young baby and found it held nappies and change kit, umbrella, purse, keys, phone (in front pocket) and all sorts of paraphernalia without ever looking stuffed out. I can honestly say that more people have complimented me on that one, rather unremarkable bag, than any other I possess. In fact, one lady saw it at book club and bought it the following day! It doesn't profess to be a stunner, just quietly practical, functional and with leather that withstands just about everything. A real winner, in my opinion!! :biggrin:

How about effie? Esp the oak perfect for summer i think

I actually like that to look at, but strap just a teeny bit short for me to wear cross-body.

I bought the regular choc Antony when I had a young baby and found it held nappies and change kit, umbrella, purse, keys, phone (in front pocket) and all sorts of paraphernalia without ever looking stuffed out. I can honestly say that more people have complimented me on that one, rather unremarkable bag, than any other I possess. In fact, one lady saw it at book club and bought it the following day! It doesn't profess to be a stunner, just quietly practical, functional and with leather that withstands just about everything. A real winner, in my opinion!! :biggrin:

Hmmm all you have said is exactly why I am considering it.... still not ruled out I have to admit.
Funny how that gets most compliments and your others don't!! The only people who have commented on my bags are the staff in M shop, and my friend who also has a mulberry, nobody else has noticed them!