Which bag for jeans & trainers?

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Scotland, UK
Hi
As it's winter, even when I wear jeans I still look fairly smart as I wear boots, but when weather gets a bit nicer I will start wearing trainers more with jeans on my days off, maybe even trackie's..... my question is what bag suits this casual look without looking a bit daft?

I currently have 3 SBS - choc, red onion and foxglove croc. I have been looking at ink antony messenger (the larger size) but feel even in sale at £440 its a lot for a bag I don't LOVE, albeit it's practical. I just need a bag that looks ok with jeans/trackie's and trainers, and going for walks with kids (maybe with wellies, raincoat etc).

What do you guys think? Would choc SBS look ok, or should I get ink antony, or any other suggestions? (Has to be cross-body)

PS - If my trackie's/leggings were black and/or I had black jacket would choc still be ok?

PPS - This is AFTER replying to love/hate thread and mentioning Antony was too masculing haha!!!!!!!!!!

TIA xx

Last edited:

mrsb5810

Jun 12, 2011
England
I would have said your choc sbs would be perfectly fine. I've got an oak sbs & would happily wear that with jeans & trainers, in fact I felt the sbs smartened up that casual look a little. What colour are the trainers?

Sue247

Apr 3, 2011
I wear a lot of jeans and trainers myself, i had a sbs and Antony and felt the Antony suited that look better personally. I actually had an ink Antony and thought it looked great with jeans (just wasn't me).

Plemont

Mulberry collector
Jan 11, 2012
London
I think any NVT or Darwin bag in a neutral colour with a messenger strap looks great.

And chocolate is a great brown that looks just fine with black & jeans when you're dressing casually.

Having said that I'd never discourage a bit of Anthony-love - carrying mine today!

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Scotland, UK
I would have said your choc sbs would be perfectly fine. I've got an oak sbs & would happily wear that with jeans & trainers, in fact I felt the sbs smartened up that casual look a little. What colour are the trainers?
Thanks for reply - like bags, I have more than one pair of trainers haha!!! Got a black pair of nike air and a few different pairs of white ones :smile:

Mayfly285

Sep 19, 2012
Derbyshire
I carry my choc regular Antony with boring regularity, on casual occasions such as yours - dog walking, trips to shops etc. She's very roomy and so easy to wear. If you want something smaller, have you looked at the Somerset satchel thread I started? I'm buying one of these as an alternative to my Antony - she's slightly smarter and classier, without being a showy bag, and fits close to my side. She can be worn on the shoulder or across the body. Worth having a look! Good luck and keep us posted!! ;)

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Scotland, UK
I wear a lot of jeans and trainers myself, i had a sbs and Antony and felt the Antony suited that look better personally. I actually had an ink Antony and thought it looked great with jeans (just wasn't me).
That's what I'm wondering - not sure if the ink they currently have in sale is same shade as the older ink? Maybe its just the one on sale is calf leather.

I think any NVT or Darwin bag in a neutral colour with a messenger strap looks great.

And chocolate is a great brown that looks just fine with black & jeans when you're dressing casually.

Having said that I'd never discourage a bit of Anthony-love - carrying mine today!
Haha yes reading the love/hate thread there seems to be lack of love for poor Ant - in the M shop in Edinburgh the Ants are all beside the mens bags.....
I think wearing brown and black can look ok, but my friend once commented that she hated black and brown together and it just made me wonder!

GillianAnnie

Dec 28, 2012
England
Noooo don't give in to the Antony!! :lol:

Sounds like you have enough bags for the occasion to me. Do I spy an excuse for a bag buying expedition? :cool:

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Scotland, UK
I carry my choc regular Antony with boring regularity, on casual occasions such as yours - dog walking, trips to shops etc. She's very roomy and so easy to wear. If you want something smaller, have you looked at the Somerset satchel thread I started? I'm buying one of these as an alternative to my Antony - she's slightly smarter and classier, without being a showy bag, and fits close to my side. She can be worn on the shoulder or across the body. Worth having a look! Good luck and keep us posted!! ;)
Yes I did see your somerset thread, I like the bag, and think it would look great on others but don't think its really me.
I think it needs to be a med/large size so that I can fit in cardi/bits and bobs for kids... the weather in Scotland can change dramatically throughout day so if I'm out with kids it's handy to be able to have space in bag!!
I actually miss the days of buggy/nappy bag for this reason haha!!!!

Candysroom

Fellow Sufferer
Jun 19, 2011
Handbag Villas,South Coast Central
It's a very unfashionable unloved bag but I use my Rosie satchel a lot "off duty ". Cross body compact and not for babying. I understand the practicality idea of the Antony but find it a bit too severe and masculine for me.

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Scotland, UK
It's a very unfashionable unloved bag but I use my Rosie satchel a lot "off duty ". Cross body compact and not for babying. I understand the practicality idea of the Antony but find it a bit too severe and masculine for me.
Thanks...just had a look at Rosie satchel and it's just not me.

Well girls, so far so good, decided to stay in work for lunch and NOT visit M shop again, although ink ant is still in stock at M.com.
Seems to be 50/50 whether antony or my choc sbs would work best with jeans/trainers though so guess either should be fine (which translated SHOULD mean DON'T buy ink ant but will see if I can continue resisting......)

Mayfly285

Sep 19, 2012
Derbyshire
Yes I did see your somerset thread, I like the bag, and think it would look great on others but don't think its really me.
I think it needs to be a med/large size so that I can fit in cardi/bits and bobs for kids... the weather in Scotland can change dramatically throughout day so if I'm out with kids it's handy to be able to have space in bag!!
I actually miss the days of buggy/nappy bag for this reason haha!!!!
I bought the regular choc Antony when I had a young baby and found it held nappies and change kit, umbrella, purse, keys, phone (in front pocket) and all sorts of paraphernalia without ever looking stuffed out. I can honestly say that more people have complimented me on that one, rather unremarkable bag, than any other I possess. In fact, one lady saw it at book club and bought it the following day! It doesn't profess to be a stunner, just quietly practical, functional and with leather that withstands just about everything. A real winner, in my opinion!! :biggrin:

lolz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2011
Scotland, UK
How about effie? Esp the oak perfect for summer i think
I actually like that to look at, but strap just a teeny bit short for me to wear cross-body.

I bought the regular choc Antony when I had a young baby and found it held nappies and change kit, umbrella, purse, keys, phone (in front pocket) and all sorts of paraphernalia without ever looking stuffed out. I can honestly say that more people have complimented me on that one, rather unremarkable bag, than any other I possess. In fact, one lady saw it at book club and bought it the following day! It doesn't profess to be a stunner, just quietly practical, functional and with leather that withstands just about everything. A real winner, in my opinion!! :biggrin:
Hmmm all you have said is exactly why I am considering it.... still not ruled out I have to admit.
Funny how that gets most compliments and your others don't!! The only people who have commented on my bags are the staff in M shop, and my friend who also has a mulberry, nobody else has noticed them!