Where to shop for a tall guy?

Aug 29, 2008
My SO has basically run out of clothes that flatter him and aren't full of holes. He's 6'3", broad shoulders and narrow waist and hips, so it's hard to find shirts that are long enough without being baggy. He has tailored suits/shirts for work, but on the weekends he's walking around in rags! First up I want to get him some solid T-shirts and hoodies and a sweater, but in general we both like simple and youthful and occasionally quirky.

Any suggestions for brands, stores, or styles that might be flattering without being too crazy or metro? I looked at the guys' sides of some stores like Revolve, and it was definitely not his style. I got him the American Apparel men's thermal that's cut tall and slim. It fits okay, but I think it is really meant to be worn in that skintight hipster style. I had to exchange for a larger size, and while it is narrow, it's otherwise shapeless and kind of cheap-looking. Don't recommend for anyone in a similar pickle.

My DH is 6'4", 185 lbs, and wears 36 x 36 pants. It can be a real challenge! He used to get XL shirts which were always long enough, but were huge... Large talls have solved this problem. His style is pretty simple thankfully. I get him solid color plain Ts from Old Navy's tall section (online only) which also has a lot of baseball Ts, thermals, etc. Really, ON/Gap/Banana Republic websites have saved him because they each have a pretty good sized tall section -- casual and dressy Ts, shirts, sweaters, jeans, khakis, whatever. It's a PITA to have to order everything online but it's worth it because the stuff actually fits. If it's a bigger purchase like a suit he will want to go see it in person to make sure he likes the material but then we just order online.

My SO has basically run out of clothes that flatter him and aren't full of holes. He's 6'3", broad shoulders and narrow waist and hips, so it's hard to find shirts that are long enough without being baggy. He has tailored suits/shirts for work, but on the weekends he's walking around in rags! First up I want to get him some solid T-shirts and hoodies and a sweater, but in general we both like simple and youthful and occasionally quirky.

Any suggestions for brands, stores, or styles that might be flattering without being too crazy or metro? I looked at the guys' sides of some stores like Revolve, and it was definitely not his style. I got him the American Apparel men's thermal that's cut tall and slim. It fits okay, but I think it is really meant to be worn in that skintight hipster style. I had to exchange for a larger size, and while it is narrow, it's otherwise shapeless and kind of cheap-looking. Don't recommend for anyone in a similar pickle.

My husband is a bit taller, but a similar size. I buy almost all of his stuff at Brooks Brothers. It is a conservative store, but at least the stuff fits him well and looks well made comparatively. They also have a made to measure dept. if you need to have things made. I would get the basics there (cardigans, hoodies) and get the quirky stuff (graphic Ts) somewhere like J. Crew.

My dh is 6'8" and wears an XLT or XXLT. It is a real problem to find things that fit him! This isn't high-end, but he often special orders from JC Penny's Big & Tall catalogue (sadly, though, there are more things designed for the Big than the Tall). Suits he need to have tailored or have an athletic fit so they are big enough for his shoulders but don't billow at the waist. I've learned never to buy him clothes!

My boyfriend is 6'7'' and wears a 31x37 in pants. (medium in shirts)

For shirts he's all about American Apparel. They're all long enough and not baggy (also hard sometimes, as he's very slim.) He also likes J.Crew tall sizes for shirts, though they aren't as slim-cut.

Penguin brand is great for casual clothes. My DH is 6'2" and narrow at the bottom so it takes some work to find clothes that don't make him look shlubby. Penguin is available at Nordstrom and Saks and I'm sure other places.

My DH is 6'4", 185 lbs, and wears 36 x 36 pants. It can be a real challenge! He used to get XL shirts which were always long enough, but were huge... Large talls have solved this problem. His style is pretty simple thankfully. I get him solid color plain Ts from Old Navy's tall section (online only) which also has a lot of baseball Ts, thermals, etc. Really, ON/Gap/Banana Republic websites have saved him because they each have a pretty good sized tall section -- casual and dressy Ts, shirts, sweaters, jeans, khakis, whatever. It's a PITA to have to order everything online but it's worth it because the stuff actually fits. If it's a bigger purchase like a suit he will want to go see it in person to make sure he likes the material but then we just order online.

My BF is the same size and I always shop for him online at ON, Gap, and BR. They fit great and are relatively inexpensive!

My BF isn't that tall so when we go to H&M he always has to make shorten his jeans and I believe that most of the tshirts are made for tall guys! Maybe also Benetton makes longer jeans.