Where to celebrate my 40th in January?

1. DH and I will be taking a short trip to celebrate my 40th. Things are crazy right now, so we have to take it in early January and only have about 4 days. I am trying to get some ideas for places and resorts.
    I want:
    1) somewhere warm or warmish
    2)easy to get to from the US (the South)
    3)interested in somewhere relaxing , good food, spa, beach, shopping, culture-at least some of those
    4)a nice resort or hotel that isn't overrun with kids, is not an "all inclusive" is nice/modern but not too formal, and if on a beach, isn't a highrise

I've thought about southern California, Vegas, Arizona, Mexico or the Caribbean. Any suggestion for specific places or resorts that would meet my needs? thanks!

2. If you can give us some idea on what your budget would be that would help a lot. There are many places that come to mind but not being sure of a budget it is hard to make a suggestion.

3. I don't really have a budget set-it is such a short trip, I just want to maximize the time we do have. I would like a 5 star (or nice 4) property, but not something too large, for example, the Atlantis resort would not interest me.

4. #4 Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    San Francisco at the St Regis

Napa Valley at the Callistoga Ranch--love this place

Monterey at the Lodge at Pebble Beach

Santa Fe NM at the Encantado

Not warm but fun and romantic--

Banff Alberta Canada in the Rockies Moraine Lake Lodge and Baker Creek Chatelets. I have stayed in some of the resorts around Banff such as Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise and Fairmont Banff Springs and thought they were overpriced, lack charm and too touristy.

Vail Colorado--Tivoli Lodge, The Sebastian, Ritz Carlton Club and Arrabelle at Vail Square

Adirondacks at Lake Placid Lodge

Stowe VT at Green Mountain Inn and Stowe Mountain Lodge.
    My third choice is Trapp Family Lodge but go there for the history behind it.

Thought of another warm getaway

Miami Beach--Angler's Boutique Resort and The Betsy

5. Thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out. I am leaning somewhere warm or beachy-any suggestions for the Caribbean or the Mexico?

6. DH and I did some research last night and checked out flight schedules and some locations. Does anyone have any feedback on these places? Thanks!
    Rosewood Mayakoba-Playa de Carmen
    Pink Sands-Harbour Island, Bahamas
    W Resort-Vieques, Puerto Rico
    Parrot cay-Turks and Caicos
    Parker Hotel-Palm Springs

7. I don't knowledge of the particular hotels, though my pick would be Parrot Cay. I was on Provo when ben aflleck and jen garner got married back in 05. Provo was amazing and they say Parrot Cay is mind blowing - private planes going from Provo to PC and celebs everywhere.

I'd avoid the bahamas - I have been in March and December - both times I was either cold or the water was cold.

How about Anguilla? There are a lot of upscale resorts in Antigua as well. It's very beautiful. But my dream would be Barbuda. We took the ferry over for the day but there was only result a few years ago. I think there are only three resorts.

8. Thanks for the feedback! I love Anguilla and have been there several times, but it is tricky to get to from where I live (3 flights or 2 + the ferry from St Maarten.) I was looking at some of the more popular spots that seemed easier to get to in our limited time. I don't know much about Antigua-will have to look into that.
    Looks like Parrot Cay would be our best island choice. I'm considering Palm Spring too although it will be colder. I'm a mid century architecture buff.

9. Totally agree on Banff! So touristy and artificial. South Beach Miami is always my favorite - great food, fashion/people watching, white beaches, and hemp/chocolate spray tans at Rockstar Tanning!

10. South Beach is always fun...

11. I would say "The One and Only" in the Bahamas would be about as special as you could get. Very lovely and special. Another choice Pelican Hill in Newport Beach in Southern California. The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida just to name a few. There are so many. Happy Birthday and enjoy your trip!

12. If you are stuck - I'm throwing Charleston,sc into the mix. I've been saying all along its the best city in the world. The experts now agree - Capetown was 2nd and Florence is 3rd. It's overlooked by many but there's a reason so many celebs live there, get married there and simply love it there. It also was rated as having the most beautiful women in the USA. And the food is amazing.

13. Try Cabo San Lucas! Beautiful hotels and resorts.

14. Couples Swept Away chain in Jamica. Adults only and beautiful.

Note that Cabo and Southern California is not that warm in January (speaking from past vacation experiences).

15. Check out Secrets Maroma in Playa Del Camarn. The beach there is one of the best I have ever seen. The food is good and you have many resturants to choose from. The service is awesome. They have someone come around in the pool and hand out fresh fruit and icecream everyday.