Buying in USA tax free?

New Hampshire has no sales tax, but there's not much luxury shopping - No Chanel, no LV, no Saks.. nada, but I can have things shipped to my home to avoid tax.
There are 4 states without a sales tax. NH, Oregon, Delaware & Montana. Alaska has some regional taxes or city taxes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using PurseForum mobile app

New Hampshire has no sales tax, but there's not much luxury shopping - No Chanel, no LV, no Saks.. nada, but I can have things shipped to my home to avoid tax.
There are 4 states without a sales tax. NH, Oregon, Delaware & Montana. Alaska has some regional taxes or city taxes.

Last edited:
I was just discussing this with my husband yesterday while driving through Nashua. I don't understand why NH has no luxury shopping. I feel like an LV or a Chanel would do amazing business up there. Especially since Boston is the closest alternative. Very frustrating.
Exactly. Very frustrating. My friends and I make the 'migration' south to Copley to get bags. While there we have lunch and make a day of it but I'd rather be able to shop locally, tax free with free parking. Not to mention traffic leaving Boston.

Reactions: acrowcounted
Hi there just wondering if there’s a place to buy tax free in the USA. I.e. if I call up Chanel in Vegas and have them mail it to me in California do I still get taxed California prices?

Yes you do. There is almost no way to do this anymore. The Sales Tax laws have become stricter about online/shipped purchases. You used to be able to purchase tax free if there was no presence in your state, maybe someone can chime in if it has worked for them lately. Since you are in California and likely have most store options, this won't work for you anyway. The best way is if you purchase in person in a tax free state.

Reactions: opensesame
Hi there just wondering if there’s a place to buy tax free in the USA. I.e. if I call up Chanel in Vegas and have them mail it to me in California do I still get taxed California prices?
Yes. You will be taxed based on where the bag is shipped. I’ve purchased from Chanel Bellagio and have been taxed based on the tax rate in the City in California where I reside. The lowest tax rate I’ve found in U.S. is Hawaii. I believe in Hawaii it is 4% so when I vacation there I be sure to visit Chanel. Also know you won’t get the 4% tax rate if you order over the phone from Hawaii and it is shipped to you somewhere outside of Hawaii. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: C.Ly
Yes. You will be taxed based on where the bag is shipped. I’ve purchased from Chanel Bellagio and have been taxed based on the tax rate in the City in California where I reside. The lowest tax rate I’ve found in U.S. is Hawaii. I believe in Hawaii it is 4% so when I vacation there I be sure to visit Chanel. Also know you won’t get the 4% tax rate if you order over the phone from Hawaii and it is shipped to you somewhere outside of Hawaii. Hope that makes sense.
I should clarify the tax I paid for my phone order from Bellagio was based on where the bag was shipped to.

If you have a friend that lives in a tax free state (OR, DE, NH, AL, MT) or a state without Chanel presence that would be your best bet.

I moved from CA to DE that has been maybe too enabling:cool: