Where to buy tax free Chanel new in USA

Dannadrew

Sep 11, 2016
USA
Hi there just wondering if there’s a place to buy tax free in the USA. I.e. if I call up Chanel in Vegas and have them mail it to me in California do I still get taxed California prices?

lallybelle

O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
NYC
Yes you do. There is almost no way to do this anymore. The Sales Tax laws have become stricter about online/shipped purchases. You used to be able to purchase tax free if there was no presence in your state, maybe someone can chime in if it has worked for them lately. Since you are in California and likely have most store options, this won't work for you anyway. The best way is if you purchase in person in a tax free state.

Reactions: opensesame

Panlove

Sep 24, 2019
Hi there just wondering if there’s a place to buy tax free in the USA. I.e. if I call up Chanel in Vegas and have them mail it to me in California do I still get taxed California prices?
Yes. You will be taxed based on where the bag is shipped. I’ve purchased from Chanel Bellagio and have been taxed based on the tax rate in the City in California where I reside. The lowest tax rate I’ve found in U.S. is Hawaii. I believe in Hawaii it is 4% so when I vacation there I be sure to visit Chanel. Also know you won’t get the 4% tax rate if you order over the phone from Hawaii and it is shipped to you somewhere outside of Hawaii. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: C.Ly

Panlove

Sep 24, 2019
Yes. You will be taxed based on where the bag is shipped. I’ve purchased from Chanel Bellagio and have been taxed based on the tax rate in the City in California where I reside. The lowest tax rate I’ve found in U.S. is Hawaii. I believe in Hawaii it is 4% so when I vacation there I be sure to visit Chanel. Also know you won’t get the 4% tax rate if you order over the phone from Hawaii and it is shipped to you somewhere outside of Hawaii. Hope that makes sense.
I should clarify the tax I paid for my phone order from Bellagio was based on where the bag was shipped to.

Zixi1000

Aug 7, 2017
If you have a friend that lives in a tax free state (OR, DE, NH, AL, MT) or a state without Chanel presence that would be your best bet.

I moved from CA to DE that has been maybe too enabling:cool:

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Hirshliefers shipped to me (I was in Florida at that time) tax free but this was in 2018! But I think I read a recent similar experience somewhere.. not sure though..

Reactions: Dannadrew

Dannadrew

Sep 11, 2016
USA
Hirshliefers shipped to me (I was in Florida at that time) tax free but this was in 2018! But I think I read a recent similar experience somewhere.. not sure though..
Yes I contacted them! Do u work with a specific sa? We’re u happy with the experience?

Venessa84

Aug 20, 2013
The Garden State
The Webster ships tax free to states they don’t have a presence. I’m pretty sure they have boutiques in CA so that won’t work for you. Bergdorf Goodman used to but they stopped a couple of years ago.

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
The Webster ships tax free to states they don’t have a presence. I’m pretty sure they have boutiques in CA so that won’t work for you. Bergdorf Goodman used to but they stopped a couple of years ago.
Are you sure they stopped?
I placed an order for a pair of sneakers and it was calculated tax free last month. The order was eventually cancelled due to unavailability but I’m pretty sure it was tax free.

Last edited:

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Yes I contacted them! Do u work with a specific sa? We’re u happy with the experience?
I was very happy yes! I was actually present in the boutique physically when I was visiting NYC and saw the bag in person and was willing to take it right there right then but my super nice SA suggested that I ship it to where I resided instead to have it tax free! I was traveling back the next day so I wasn’t worried about the delivery if I’m not there. That SA unfortunately left Hirshliefers :sad: she referred me to her colleague but I haven’t had the chance to order from her yet.

Chanbal

Aug 18, 2012
World
I placed an order for a pair of sneakers and it was calculated tax free last month. The order was eventually cancelled due to unavailability but I’m pretty sure it was tax free.
If you live in CA, you will have to pay taxes on orders from BG. The good old days of tax free purchase orders from BG are long gone.

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
If you live in CA, you will have to pay taxes on orders from BG. The good old days of tax free purchase orders from BG are long gone.
My shipping address was to Florida :smile:
I understand it’s not precisely relevant to the OP’s question since she’s in California, but I thought I’d share my experience for anyone else who’s interested.

Venessa84

Aug 20, 2013
The Garden State
It’s been over a year since I purchased Chanel there but the last time I did that’s what my SA said and I paid NJ sales tax since I had the item shipped.

soccerzfan

May 11, 2014
Shoes are considered clothing and in certain states do not get taxed.