where to buy - sushi grade fish?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hey,

I'm new to this whole cooking thing! I went from not even being able to cook spaghetti right (I always over cooked the noodles) to cooking Christmas dinner for my ENTIRE dad's side of the family (over 25 people). And yes, this included turkey, stuffing, potatoes, yams, and deviled eggs. I was pretty impressed by myself (although I did take some short cuts and got some really good easy recipes) and I guess I found a love for cooking now! Now that I know it CAN be easy once you get more practice and a few things come out nicely.

So this weekend is my Mom's birthday! She is like me, a huge seafood fan. So I'm going to go to our local market and grab some crab and lobster and have a crab/lobster dinner with scalloped potatoes and some veggies. But I wanted to start off with a nice appi and I LOVE LOVE LOVE tuna tataki salad and I know my mom would too. She loves anything that is tuna and has a little sweet/sourness to it. But I want to make sure that I am going to be buying the best fish possible since it's going to be half raw still. I don't want anyone to be getting sick!

I'm not a veterin around the local markets... but are there specialty food stores usually that sell sushi-grade fish? or can I just go to any organic fish market?

I live in Vancouver, BC! Thanks!

2. Are there any big Asian or Japanese markets around you? I know at the ones near me, they sell raw fish for sashimi. I usually determine the freshness of the fish by looking at the color/texture of it. I haven't had any problems so far. Good luck! It's really sweet of you to cook for your Mom's birthday :smile:

3. I'm pretty sure there is a fish market on 4th Ave. There is also the market at Granville Island. Good luck!

4. jellybebe, I was thinking the same. I'll just check it out and see if they need a few days to prep. I have a place in mind on W. Broadway some really small take out place but they also have frozen fish too so maybe I'll check it out!

Thanks missxhustler - I haven't cooked this before so hopefully it'll turn out good!

5. meinhardt at granville would have them

good luck!