where to buy 1.5-2 carat diamond earrings?

valtsa

Nov 12, 2006
I don't wear diamonds but I have been asked by a colleague to help him out for a gift for his wife's birthday. Can anyone suggest a reputable online retailer?

He is looking at spending around $2, 000 for 1.5-2 carat diamond studs. Is this an acceptable amount of money? Does he need to spend more?

As you can see I am clueless. Any help would be much appreciated.

hi, I am not an expert, but IMHO diamonds can be tricky. Does your friend mean TCW (total carat weight of BOTH stones) or EACH stone. The 4 c's are a big deal, and although I have always been told that you do not need "ring quality" stones for earrings, some folks would rather have smaller, but better.............many, many options, and choices...........you could pull up Ross Simmons jewelry and look at their prices and what is offered, white gold, yellow gold, different settings, etc. good luck, best, bonnie

hi, I am not an expert, but IMHO diamonds can be tricky. Does your friend mean TCW (total carat weight of BOTH stones) or EACH stone. The 4 c's are a big deal, and although I have always been told that you do not need "ring quality" stones for earrings, some folks would rather have smaller, but better.............many, many options, and choices...........you could pull up Ross Simmons jewelry and look at their prices and what is offered, white gold, yellow gold, different settings, etc. good luck, best, bonnie

Great advice. Thanks Bonnie

I'd say Blue Nile is a good starting point to get a feel for price points vs size and other specs. That way your colleague can have a baseline when he's looking at different places.

With $2K budget for big diamond studs, perhaps Macy's is the place to go, especially with sales. Sometimes you can get the diamond studs around 50% off. However, I am not sure about the quailty of the diamonds Macy's has on sales.

valtsa said:
I don't wear diamonds but I have been asked by a colleague to help him out for a gift for his wife's birthday. Can anyone suggest a reputable online retailer?

He is looking at spending around $2, 000 for 1.5-2 carat diamond studs. Is this an acceptable amount of money? Does he need to spend more?

As you can see I am clueless. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have 1 ct in each ear (so 2 tcw) and I know my DH spent around $5800

Even for 1.6 total weight studs (.8each ear), your friend would have to pay almost $5,000. And that's for SI2, J colored from Blue Nile. Even cheaper jewelry stores didn't have anything near that price with "inferior" stones. He might have to rethink his budget, or the stone size.

littlehomerun said:
With $2K budget for big diamond studs, perhaps Macy's is the place to go, especially with sales. Sometimes you can get the diamond studs around 50% off. However, I am not sure about the quailty of the diamonds Macy's has on sales.

If you go to Macy's but them in store. I was told that the ones online are ALWAYS of significantly less quality than ones in store. But I think this may be your best bet with sales/opening Macy's card/coupons/etc.

I purchased mine at a small jeweler, (very nice quality stones) and they are 1 1/2 ct. total weight for $ 2500.00. I would not be comfortable personally, buying diamonds online.

I don't know the specs on mine, but they are .55-.6 each (so 1.1-1.2 cttw) and they were more than $2k. Granted, they have a nice clarity (not VVS I'm sure) and are around an I color. They were a gift from jeweler's row.