Where Should We Travel in December?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi all,

I'm in search of a vacation spot for December. I have a banked timeshare week I need to use before January 2011 and I need advice on where a good place to travel would be. I'm hoping you all can provide some suggestions!

The trip would most likely take place in early December (or alternatively, the last week in December) and it would just be my boyfriend and myself. We are both in our mid-20's and enjoy sightseeing, shopping, eating and relaxing. We aren't too much into the "nightlife" or bar scene. We currently live in San Diego so we aren't looking for any So Cal resorts.

Our first thoughts were to possibly go to San Francisco or New York, but we are really open to any suggestions you all would have.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. No ideas?! Come on, guys! Where do you all like to vacation in the US?

3. From your post I'm thinking you want to stay in US,

Here are some suggestions

Killington VT

Beaver Creek or Breckenridge Ski Resorts in CO

Yellowstone National Park--The weeks you are looking at are prime time to see wolves. You go out w/ a guide who will take you to see the wolves, awesome experience. I have been there 4 different times for wolf viewing and saw wolves each time. It's an easy drive here from Salt Lake City UT.

I took my 3 friends from France once and they haven't stopped talking about it and we are going back early next year.

I like the idea of San FRancisco and NYC also. I love to look at all the Christmas decorations in other cities.

4. Thanks for the suggestions, Longchamp! I've heard wonderful things about Breckenridge.

I do want to stay in the US- actually, I'd really prefer to go somewhere that Southwest flies to, as I have some free tickets I'd love to use.

5. What about NYC? Or Florida?

That does sound cool, Longchamp. You need to start your own thread about these nature trips you've done. I would love to read them!

6. How long are you traveling for? You can visit Lake Tahoe for outdoorsy activities and then San Francisco for relaxing/sight seeing.

7. I have no idea where SW flies as they have been saying that hey are coming to Charlotte for about a decade, but still not here. Asheville and the Smokey Mountains are always wonderful. Charleston, SC is a great little town and the weather is always mild. It might be tough to spend a week, but with a car, you could drive the hour down to Savannah, GA, another great place. Tennessee is pretty mild in December - Memphis can be fun if you are into blues and music clubs. If you are into skiing, New England would be great, or stay in Boston for the historical/city action and then drive out to the resorts.

8. New York is lovely in December - the holiday decorations, lights & skating on Wollman Rink in Central Park. Plus, NYC certainly has fantastic shopping, amazing restaurants, lovely hotels, many museums & great spas.

I haven't been to San Francisco in December, but the city itself is certainly filled with plenty to do, purchase & eat :smile:

I love Chicago - great city - but I can't handle the weather in December. If you do go there & stay at the Elysian, you can get a suite with a working fireplace & be within walking distance of some of the city's best shopping & restaurants. Chicago museums are also great to explore when it's too cold to enjoy walking outside.

Dallas is fun around the holidays - great shopping, food & hotels. The weather is usually pretty mild in December. It definitely feels like the holidays when you're there from Thanksgiving on - there are lights & decorations everywhere. You can take a carriage ride in Highland Park sipping hot cocoa nestled under a blanket together. We were at the Crescent for Christmas one year & room service was particularly superb - they have a special menu & you get darling little extras like little snowmen made out of yummy confections decorating your plate.

Colorado is great during December - I can vouch for Aspen, Vail & Beaver Creek all being lovely destinations throughout the year. The funny thing is I can handle winter trips to Colorado - probably because I'm in ski clothes, buried under many layers, fully expecting to freeze & pleasantly surprised when I don't.

Wherever you are thinking about going, you might want to book your hotel now if you plan to visit during the last week in December. Many places book up pretty quickly at that time of year & you can always cancel your reservations if you change your mind.

Good luck choosing a vacation spot & enjoy your trip :smile:

9. What about New Orleans?

Or come down to Florida...weather is great in December.