Where should I donate my clothes?

MissE46

Mar 7, 2007
What do you do with your clothes that you no longer wear?

If you donate, where do you donate to?

My room/closet is looking like a total mess. I don't wear half of the clothes there! Some are too small, too big, or I wonder why I even bought it! Some items are used and some still have the tag on it. Jeeez...I am such a pack rat.

Ladies, please help me. I'd like to donate some clothes I have but I dont have a salvation army drop off box near me. What are some other places to donate to? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!:smile::smile:

I sell my old/new clothes I wont wear most on Ebay or to a consignment store (like Platos Closet). Im such a bad person. :P But when I do donate them, its either towards Goodwill, Salvation Army, or our church if they are collecting clothing. Maybe you could check out your church? The only other thing I can think of is to get a carboard box, put "Free Clothing" on it, and leave it outside your house. Im not very creative!

I donate clothes to Sutter Hospital by my house. They usually give us a receipt but we never use it for tax purposes, whe should use it uh?? I would like to sell DH's jeans and some other stuff to platos but I was told they give you sh** for it, even when they are designer items. I rather donathe than help them to make money.

Do you have a Big Brothers/Big Sisters around your area?

If you do, you can call them up, and schedule a pick up of stuff....anything from clothes to furniture. I think they'll leave reciept too.

Also, depending...sometimes you can donate to nearby churches or shelters.

You can also donate to the VietNam Veterans of America--they accept almost everything, and the profits go to veteran services. They also will come and pick up your goodies (in most areas) and leave a receipt for you--you don't even need to be home. They come about once a month. If you live in an area where they do not pick up, they will tell you where to drop things off. I'm very pleased with their work--I've actually seen a couple of their thrift shops and they are very well run.

I donate my clothes locally to Kidney Clothes Hawaii. It's just the most convenient since they do curb side pick up. They send notices about once a month when they're coming around my block. I know other charitable organizations also do pickups, you just might have to call and ask them to come. :yes:

My dad also brings my old clothes to the Philippines when he goes there on trips.