Where have all the Mulberry buyer's gone?

Mulberry was very popular in Germany in the nineties with their scotchgrain bags and the same bags in crocodile printed leather. For me it was a typical british style. Without reading the brandname on the bag, you knew that it was Mulberry. But then Mulberry switched to a complete different style with higher prices. The shops, which sold the bags before, was'nt allowed to sell the new bags and so the brand disappeared from the German market. I do not see any marketing activities here and only one Boutique in Hamburg is not enough for a country with more than 80 million people. I still would buy their scotchgrain bags, but that is far away from that, what Mulberry offers now. And so the brandname is a bit forgotten and the former buyers switched to other brands.
Whenever I visit the boutique in Hamburg I'm the only customer and I never like anything enough to buy it. One lady who works there told me they also do all the online business for Germany from the Hamburg boutique since BREXIT. So I guess maybe that is their main job in Hamburg. :sad:

I actually really rate Mulberry. In the last 18 months I’ve purchased three Anthony’s in different leathers and they are wearing really well! So easy to use, look great, substantial quality and well priced. I think they still offer high quality leather products that easily compete if not smash pricier fashion houses. I also have a bag made with their “small grain” (stamped leather) that is terrible quality and put me off the brand until recently. I’m glad they have started to use better leathers again and just wish their mens line offered more options in those leathers. I also wish they would bring exotics back…would LOVE an ostrich Anthony.

I’m wondering where all the US buyers are finding their bags. Our Mulberry store in San Francisco closed years ago and there is one a bit of a drive away in a shopping center called Valley Fair. Far enough away that I’ve never been. I’ve only ordered online since the SF store closed, except for one work trip to Las Vegas where I did go to the Mulberry shops - I think at the Venetian hotel. That was a lovely shopping experience. I got a blue Alexa before it was discontinued and came back, but I have since sold the bag.

I think their bags - the ones I am familiar with like Bayswater, Bayswater Pocket, and Double Zip Tote - are excellent but heavy, and that is why I have only one Mulberry (chocolate NVT Bayswater) but I do have one more used bag on the way (Bayswater in deer brown glossy goat). I am hoping it is lighter.

I’m supposed to be on Ban Island but that was a purchase I made prior to that decision. Will share photos if it all works out.

True, I forgot about that. That does make them more accessible. Curious - have you ever seen their bags in a brick-and-mortar Nordstrom location? I have not, but I've only been to a couple of physical stores in the last two years and it's possible I missed them.

I haven't been to a store in person in ages, except to drop off a return. It's a pandemic.

I’m wondering where all the US buyers are finding their bags. Our Mulberry store in San Francisco closed years ago and there is one a bit of a drive away in a shopping center called Valley Fair. Far enough away that I’ve never been. I’ve only ordered online since the SF store closed, except for one work trip to Las Vegas where I did go to the Mulberry shops - I think at the Venetian hotel. That was a lovely shopping experience. I got a blue Alexa before it was discontinued and came back, but I have since sold the bag.

I think their bags - the ones I am familiar with like Bayswater, Bayswater Pocket, and Double Zip Tote - are excellent but heavy, and that is why I have only one Mulberry (chocolate NVT Bayswater) but I do have one more used bag on the way (Bayswater in deer brown glossy goat). I am hoping it is lighter.

I’m supposed to be on Ban Island but that was a purchase I made prior to that decision. Will share photos if it all works out.
The Bayswater is a heavier bag in general. Other styles are lighter. For example the Bayswater Tote which is open top. The Lily is no heavier than other BOCs IMO.

I’m in the UK. There are always several people in my local store. I hope your new bag works for you.

I used to be an avid Mulberry fan but lost interest when the brighter, lighter weight leather bags came out. I was a fan of the old Darwin leather and bag stsyles like Bayswater, Phoebe, Roxanne, Jamie, Annie etc etc
In early 2000’s I moved to Hermes and haven’t looked back. (Although do fine now I wish I’d kept sone of my older bags I sold)

Reactions: gichca21

How was the glossy goat Bayswater bag? Is it made of goat leather or goat print on bovine leather? Would love to hear your feedback!

I still look at Mulberry but for me I have the bags I need. I did go through a buying frenzy at the start and have sold the ones that didn’t work for me luckily I broke even or made a profit.
I know now that I like a shoulder or tote for everyday.

Reactions: 24shaz

I travel once a year or so to the UK and purchased two bags there this year. My partner and I also spend some time in NYC. I discovered the brand at least a decade ago but only recently have been willing/able to spend the money.

Reactions: MiniMabel
Does anyone know if there’s been a price increase recently (in Europe)?
I haven’t been keeping an eye on Mulberry but most of the other big brands seem to have shot up lately..