Where do you start when you want everything?

Nov 20, 2007
I'm currently lusting after a couple of Balenciaga, YSL, and Givenchy bags, have a limited budget, and don't know what to get first! I know a lot of you must have the same problem as me, so I'm just curious as to how you all decide what to buy first when you want EVERYTHING!

Do you go nuts and buy everything?
Purge your current collection?
Make a list and go down it?
Buy whatever is available first?

Help a girl out!

I would definitely start slower, one peice at a time. In terms of sequence, I'd start with the bag you can do the most with--office, weekends, travel, etc. Then, let's say bag #1 has a more casual vibe, then bag #2 could be a bit dressier. The idea is to add pieces that create versatility.

But what's also important is your life style. If you don't work or lead a supe casual lifestyle, then a bag for the office or dressier occasions is lower on the priority

Frankly, it is an embarrassing to mention that I can't buy what I want but you are right many of us has the same problem. With limited budget, I often buy one piece at a time which is an neccessary to me, then buy the left pieces one after another. Sometimes I am lucky enough that one or two item I no longer like or need, so some are out of my list.

I think the single most important thing is to ask yourself "am I going to wear it?" "Will this bag get a lot of use or stay in my closet 50% of the time?" I see many reveals here and bag collections and I always wonder. I could literally go shopping in their closets; numerous LV's in different shapes and sizes and I wonder "can't one brown bag serve the same purpose?"

My advice is, if it causes a financial hardship, or you must save up for each bag, then analyze how much you "need" the next bag. I, personally, lead a casual life. Even when I wear a suit, my hobos give my suit a more laid back/relaxed vibe. I do that to reflect who I am. Therefore, I don't need all different style bags. I invested in a gorgeous medium BV Veneta and that has become my go-to bag when getting dressed up and looking refined.

Enjoy shopping! My advice is, just don't get too carried away! ;)

What do you want most, or what is likely to become unavailable?

I'm assuming you have some bags and these new ones are just 'wants', but for example I was always a 'one $50 bag at a time until it wears out' person so when I got interested in designer stuff I really was starting from scratch.

If that is the case, then start with a bag you can use most of the time, then a good wallet if you don't have one (to use with all your bags), then a bag you love but won't use as often... and go on from there as you can afford it.

And don't get distracted by whims, know what you want long term and ask yourself if you really want this one that just caught your attention if it's going to delay getting something you want more.

I'm currently lusting after a couple of Balenciaga, YSL, and Givenchy bags, have a limited budget, and don't know what to get first! I know a lot of you must have the same problem as me, so I'm just curious as to how you all decide what to buy first when you want EVERYTHING!

Do you go nuts and buy everything?
Purge your current collection?
Make a list and go down it?
Buy whatever is available first?

Help a girl out!

Definately see what you use & do not use in your current collection. Sell the ones you don't use. Then use the money towards the one bag you want the most. I would not buy all of the bags I want at once, unless you see one you have wanted & have the funds for it. It is fun & smart saving up for the next bag. Use & enjoy the first bag, while you save for the next. I always sold a bag or two (or 6!) to buy the bag I want.

I recommend making a list, and from that list choose a style that serves both form and function for you and then go buy the one that you come across that calls to you. Don't hesitate or you will lose it. You already know you want it :smile:

Once you have that goal, you can then plan on whether you want more of the same designer or branch out. For instance, you My experience is once you buy a purse that really makes you head over heels in love, it makes it difficult to choose any other bag without being discriminating.

Although, sometimes there's really no way around it but trial and error -- my Chanel flap and LV were my holy grails but I've found out Marc Jacobs suits me better in some ways. Selling bags you don't need is also a good way to purge and reflect on what bag/s you actually need first/next.

Buy what you love the most. If you don't absolutely LOVE the item and *have* to have it, then you shouldn't get it at all. Wait a while and if you keep thinking about one of the items over and over, then you know that's the one you should get first. But if you really think about them, and one of them you just *like*, toss it off your list and wait for something to come along that you love.

I so agree with this. I'm a bag user, not a bag collector. Anything I purchase has to be something I will use. There are many bags I see that I think are nice but I know I wouldn't use them.

I think the single most important thing is to ask yourself "am I going to wear it?" "Will this bag get a lot of use or stay in my closet 50% of the time?" I see many reveals here and bag collections and I always wonder. I could literally go shopping in their closets; numerous LV's in different shapes and sizes and I wonder "can't one brown bag serve the same purpose?"

My advice is, if it causes a financial hardship, or you must save up for each bag, then analyze how much you "need" the next bag. I, personally, lead a casual life. Even when I wear a suit, my hobos give my suit a more laid back/relaxed vibe. I do that to reflect who I am. Therefore, I don't need all different style bags. I invested in a gorgeous medium BV Veneta and that has become my go-to bag when getting dressed up and looking refined.

Enjoy shopping! My advice is, just don't get too carried away! ;)

First off I would go through my closet and sell some of the things that I absolutely do not use/like/have any purpose for anymore. Then, sit on your list for a while. After a few weeks, you might find that some of these bags were just for-the-moment loves that you don't feel the same about anymore. By waiting a little while, you might be able to cross some off your lust list and avoid some regret later on.

I'd start with the bag that's LE, or a seasonal colour. I tend to leave the Permanent/Classic stuff, but that has it's downfall with price increases.

Also, keep an eye on sale/overstock websites.