Where do you sell non branded fine jewelry?

SHHMOM

Feb 13, 2013
I am interested in selling some fine jewelry 18k gold, precious stones, pearls and diamonds. They are not branded. Any suggestions about a good place to sell non branded jewelry?

I am interested in selling some fine jewelry 18k gold, precious stones, pearls and diamonds. They are not branded. Any suggestions about a good place to sell non branded jewelry?

I'm going to assume that you are talking about stones which are smaller than 5 carats, right?

Check the local jewelry shops to see of they carry estate pieces. Shop around, and see who will give you the best offer. You can try consignment shops, but make sure you check your contract, and get a confirmation on what they will price it at. Because there has been a whole lot of times that I've paid less than melt weight at consignment shops.

Do your homework first. Make sure to weigh the pieces on a gold scale first - also, get a general size of the diamonds. You can't really tell the exact weight - but if something is 5 mm and a brilliant, it's probably in the half-carat range. Look on pricescope and goodoldgold and other online shops who sell diamonds, and get an idea of about what they are worth - and assume the lower end of the range.

Then, when you know what the "raw materials" value is, take 70% of that value, and that's about what you should expect to be paid.

Unless they are mikimoto or high quality natural pearls - pearls are a *****kitty to sell - don't expect much. Ditto for the precious stones; unless your jeweler has serious equipment to appraise, or unless you have appraisal paperwork, expect to be paid 'created stones' price - or in other words - you are lucky - they aren't subtracting the weight out of the overall melt value!

The jewelry-selling market has slowed down, so you might get a little better price-wise. But for the last seven years, it has been a buyers market. A lot of people melting down their gold, and accepting what their local pawn shops tell them it's worth. So, the finished jewelry market is a bit limited.

Good luck!

I'm going to assume that you are talking about stones which are smaller than 5 carats, right?

Check the local jewelry shops to see of they carry estate pieces. Shop around, and see who will give you the best offer. You can try consignment shops, but make sure you check your contract, and get a confirmation on what they will price it at. Because there has been a whole lot of times that I've paid less than melt weight at consignment shops.

Do your homework first. Make sure to weigh the pieces on a gold scale first - also, get a general size of the diamonds. You can't really tell the exact weight - but if something is 5 mm and a brilliant, it's probably in the half-carat range. Look on pricescope and goodoldgold and other online shops who sell diamonds, and get an idea of about what they are worth - and assume the lower end of the range.

Then, when you know what the "raw materials" value is, take 70% of that value, and that's about what you should expect to be paid.

Unless they are mikimoto or high quality natural pearls - pearls are a *****kitty to sell - don't expect much. Ditto for the precious stones; unless your jeweler has serious equipment to appraise, or unless you have appraisal paperwork, expect to be paid 'created stones' price - or in other words - you are lucky - they aren't subtracting the weight out of the overall melt value!

The jewelry-selling market has slowed down, so you might get a little better price-wise. But for the last seven years, it has been a buyers market. A lot of people melting down their gold, and accepting what their local pawn shops tell them it's worth. So, the finished jewelry market is a bit limited.

Good luck!

I agree with checking out a few local consignment shops in the area. If they are interesting pieces that would probably be the best route. It's a buyers market and expect to get low prices from most people you come across. If you are near a larger city you may have better luck getting good pricing on the stones.