Where do you put your birkin 30 or 35 on an airplane?

Croissant, I feel your pain--I would have fainted if anyone stuffed my birkin under an airplane seat! Was that a 35? I haven't tried it yet, but I have a feeling that the 30 would fit nicely under the seat, while the 35 is just a bit big.

La Van, the picture of your black 30 with its own seat is too adorable. That's the perfect solution to this dilemma--just get birkie its own seat!

Cobalt, Thank you for the Longchamp link! I ordered a large pliage, brown with pink stripe, with the long handles and will test this system on my next flight. Geez, with the bagmate, chameleon and pliage, I'll have a bag in my bag, and a bag over my bag. What craziness!

yes, it's a 35. i wanted to do this:hysteric: when she did that to my bag.

Croissant - I had a similar problem with a flight attendant a couple of years ago who just grabbed my Nantucket basket (valued at $10k+ because of its ivory top) and shoved it where she thought it should be.
Today I generally do as you "between the feet option" for my birkins and will carry a Longchamp pilage.

Croissant - I had a similar problem with a flight attendant a couple of years ago who just grabbed my Nantucket basket (valued at $10k+ because of its ivory top) and shoved it where she thought it should be.
Today I generally do as you "between the feet option" for my birkins and will carry a Longchamp pilage.

yeah i feel silly about it but i really just wanted to disclose its price so they get the hint and stop bothering me. but then you risk people judging you for spending that price on a bag and so i just zip my lip. :supacool:

yeah i feel silly about it but i really just wanted to disclose its price so they get the hint and stop bothering me. but then you risk people judging you for spending that price on a bag and so i just zip my lip.

I agree Croissant; I rarely would disclose the price of my birkins. I usually just pretend to be getting that last magazine/book/pen/etc out of my bag and promise the flight attendant to put my bag away.

Croissant, I feel your pain--I would have fainted if anyone stuffed my birkin under an airplane seat! Was that a 35? I haven't tried it yet, but I have a feeling that the 30 would fit nicely under the seat, while the 35 is just a bit big.

La Van, the picture of your black 30 with its own seat is too adorable. That's the perfect solution to this dilemma--just get birkie its own seat!

Cobalt, Thank you for the Longchamp link! I ordered a large pliage, brown with pink stripe, with the long handles and will test this system on my next flight. Geez, with the bagmate, chameleon and pliage, I'll have a bag in my bag, and a bag over my bag. What craziness!

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

this is a great thread. I travel a lot as well, and even though i'm not carrying my own personal Birkin, I am usually carrying one, two or three Birkins for customers or to bring back to Zurich. So I have thought through all these "issues".
First, you have to realize that most people are not used to having fine things and therefore are not going to give a second thought about how they treat your bag or understand why you cant just jam it under the seat in front of you.
It starts already at the xray....it always irriates me that they insist that you put your coat in the plastic tray but will absolutely NOT allow you to place your bag in it...I've have had a few steamed aguments with the highly educated people who work at the xray belt...to no avail.
Once you are on board the best is to do like many of you have already figured out....just put it behind your legs and drape your jacket over your legs as though you had a chill. If they do see it just make an attempt like you are going to comply and they usually move on...put up a challenge and they will not leave until they see you have complied with what they asked.
As for putting it in the overhead bin...you always run the risk that some bonehead, who gets on the plain 10 min late and cant find anywhere to put his luggage, tries to smash it in where you have carefully placed your bag. You have to watch that overhead bin like a hawk! And i have also seen juice dripping from above....I've also seen condensation dripping from the aircon units....you just never know..
I guess if you travel a lot you figure out the tricks..the main thing you have to keep in mind is that no one else is going to being looking out for your bags well being!
I have noticed this with everything...for ex. if you have workmen that come into the house to repair something, then YOU have to take every precaution....they often dirty leave marks on the walls and think nothing of carelessly moving around valuable/delicate items without asking first. You cannot just assume that people are careful simply because you are!!

this is a great thread. I travel a lot as well, and even though i'm not carrying my own personal Birkin, I am usually carrying one, two or three Birkins for customers or to bring back to Zurich. So I have thought through all these "issues".
First, you have to realize that most people are not used to having fine things and therefore are not going to give a second thought about how they treat your bag or understand why you cant just jam it under the seat in front of you.
It starts already at the xray....it always irriates me that they insist that you put your coat in the plastic tray but will absolutely NOT allow you to place your bag in it...I've have had a few steamed aguments with the highly educated people who work at the xray belt...to no avail.
Once you are on board the best is to do like many of you have already figured out....just put it behind your legs and drape your jacket over your legs as though you had a chill. If they do see it just make an attempt like you are going to comply and they usually move on...put up a challenge and they will not leave until they see you have complied with what they asked.
As for putting it in the overhead bin...you always run the risk that some bonehead, who gets on the plain 10 min late and cant find anywhere to put his luggage, tries to smash it in where you have carefully placed your bag. You have to watch that overhead bin like a hawk! And i have also seen juice dripping from above....I've also seen condensation dripping from the aircon units....you just never know..
I guess if you travel a lot you figure out the tricks..the main thing you have to keep in mind is that no one else is going to being looking out for your bags well being!
I have noticed this with everything...for ex. if you have workmen that come into the house to repair something, then YOU have to take every precaution....they often dirty leave marks on the walls and think nothing of carelessly moving around valuable/delicate items without asking first. You cannot just assume that people are careful simply because you are!!

This is true, LZ. you must be the careful one, even if people think you are crazy and OCD, it's YOUR heirloom.

i never have trouble placing my Birkin in the tray. i still hate it as they make you turn it on its side because otherwise it's too tall to pass through, but i always place mine in the tray and no one ever said anything to me about it. :confused1:
same with my shoes, coat, whatever else. i race to the other side to catch my bag. haha. if im held up going through that detector i get a little ancy.