Where do you keep your fine jewellery?

nexiv

Seeking treasure
May 28, 2014
So just after Christmas I'm turning the big 3 - 0 and am lucky enough to be getting some lovely jewellery for both, which prompted my other half to say I should buy a safe/lock box to keep it in. I then pointed out to him that burglar's make a bee line for stuff like that, nick it, then just smash them open.

So I need some advice. Does anyone camouflage their jewellery boxes? Is your collection under lock and key? Where do you store it?

In my last house, I had a small fire-proof safe buried inside a closet that we had professionally installed into the flooring. We kept important documents and also my fine jewelry in that. Having the safe attached to the flooring would keep your avg "smash and grab" burglar from snatching the safe and getting into it later.

Now that we live in an apt, we have a safe deposit box at the bank. When we travel, I bring my jewelry there for safe keeping. (Though this method doesn't keep my things "safe" when I'm just out and about.)

I have also made sure to insure all of my expensive items with a separate rider with my insurance company just in case.

In my last house, I had a small fire-proof safe buried inside a closet that we had professionally installed into the flooring. We kept important documents and also my fine jewelry in that. Having the safe attached to the flooring would keep your avg "smash and grab" burglar from snatching the safe and getting into it later.

Now that we live in an apt, we have a safe deposit box at the bank. When we travel, I bring my jewelry there for safe keeping. (Though this method doesn't keep my things "safe" when I'm just out and about.)

I have also made sure to insure all of my expensive items with a separate rider with my insurance company just in case.

Nice! What a great idea for the safe. It could be installed as the house is being built. I love that idea. I honestly just keep mine in my jewelry box. I probably need more security. We do have home security though and my neighbor watches my house and feeds my cat when we go on vacation.

I was actually thingking about this ramdomly and here it goes a new thread how fun:smile:
I have a Drawer that match my vanity and I do store mine on the very top drawer and I have this jewelry box that I got in Bed bath and Beyond that has a lock and a good quality jewelry box, but then I was thingking if someone will break in to my apartment and obviously they can easily just take the box and stole my whole fine jewelry. I'm glad It's a good neighborhood that never heard any bad situation that happened and It's gated apartment complex so I feel more comfortable and hoping for the best that nothing would happen like that, knock on the wood...and ladies I'm just womdering all my fine jewelry are insured and I have all my autenticity just in case, should I take a picture on each fine jewelry?
Ladies should we attached some photos:smile:

Last edited:
See, I'd get my items put on our contents insurance, but there are some things that can't ever be replaced. My dad's house has an alarm, good glazing etc. But he was still burgled whilst away and among the things stolen was a watch he was given for his 21st birthday :sad: It's just disgusting to think someone took it from him.

I'm sentimental like that, so as much as I'd love a beautiful jewellery box or drawer, I'm half inclined to cut the middle out of a book and store it in there!

See, I'd get my items put on our contents insurance, but there are some things that can't ever be replaced. My dad's house has an alarm, good glazing etc. But he was still burgled whilst away and among the things stolen was a watch he was given for his 21st birthday :sad: It's just disgusting to think someone took it from him.

I'm sentimental like that, so as much as I'd love a beautiful jewellery box or drawer, I'm half inclined to cut the middle out of a book and store it in there!
sorry about that about your dad's watch...a good idea hide it in somewhere not abvious.

This is a really great thread! When I was younger, I had all my jewelry stored in this wooden jewel box that belonged to my mother. As I started acquiring more pieces, the box became too small to store any thing. When I saw how my jeweler friend stored his collection, I took note and adopted what he was doing! All of my pieces are individually bagged in tiny plastic ziplock baggies that I bought online at Etsy. Then I bought larger baggies and categorized my pieces (i.e. gold necklaces, gold rings, gold earrings, silver bracelets...etc). Granted, I do keep my diamonds in the original boxes they came in. It may seem a little OCD lol, but it works for me. I only keep a couple pieces at a time in my house, the rest are in a security box at the bank. :heart:

I have a friend who stores her fine jewelry in a kitchen cabinet. She told me that a typical thief will search the master bedroom/ closet but not think to look on the cabinets over the oven....

I like this thread! I have a jewelry box that I keep on my nightstand, which is a terrible idea in case anyone were to burgle our flat. At my mom's house, we used to have a side/game table with a drop-leaf that had a hidden compartment, which is where we kept stuff. Hmm, I should look into finding one of those...

Small safe (out in the open), built-in safe in the floor of a bathroom closet (so much crap over it...good luck to the thieves) and a safety deposit box (PITA!).
Call me paranoid..............................

Sorry i cant multi-quote from my phone, but I have had some very sentimental pieces stolen from me years ago, so I tend to be a little paranoid too.

The little safe attached into the floor was the best (for me) and when we move into our new house I will be doing the same.

My old house was in a very nice neighborhood and we also had an alarm system. Ladies, if u have one please be diligent in using it! My DH and I would occasionally forget to set it before bed. One night, DH woke up in the middle of the night and realized we forgot, so he turned it on and went back to bed. Not but an hour later, that thing started "screaming". DH ran downstairs to check it out and there was a guy in our house! Luckily, the guy ran away and nobody was hurt.

These burglars are so brazen nowadays! It was so scary! I cant help but think, if that alarm hadnt gone off, he would have had ample time to rummage around the house and grab anything he wanted.

So yes, please do take pictures for your files (for insurance claims) and if you have anything sentimental, I recommend the bank, an book as someone else mentioned or someplace a burglar would never think to look!

I have a friend who stores her fine jewelry in a kitchen cabinet. She told me that a typical thief will search the master bedroom/ closet but not think to look on the cabinets over the oven....

last summer there were several robberies during the day in our neighborhood. everyone was really upset about it and the police department held a neighborhood meeting for us. one of the things they told us was that a thief will go straight to the master bedroom for the valuables, looking in the closets, under the bed and in all the dresser drawers; lock boxes that could be removed and taken will be stolen. the suggestion was to put valuables in a place that is not in the master bedroom. i have my jewelry box with stuff i rarely wear tucked down into a hamper in our laundry room and covered up with a couple of towels so it just looks like a hamper full of towels. the stuff i rotate on a daily/weekly basis is tucked away in the back of lower kitchen cabinets where even when opened you can't see the jewelry. i get what i'm going to wear out the night before and lay it on my dresser so i don't have to dig around in the mornings.