Books & Music Where do you buy your college books for cheap?

devoted7

O.G.
Jan 6, 2006
Sooo the semester is starting over again...BOO! Anyways, I just got back from my local school bookstore and I only bought a few books...it cost me $584 :cursing: and I still need 3 more textbooks. Arggggg! What I usually do is buy them at the bookstore, take them home and see if I can find them online somewhere for cheap and than return them. hahaha. I usually browse or look around Amazon, eBay, etc...I'm having no luck finding any of my books for a deal. If anything, I will be paying a $10 difference from online than the actual bookstore. I know it's $10, but I usually can find them for at least $50 off. Anyways, I'm aware that I may be taking classes that require a new edition book. But shoooo, I know I can find these books for a better deal...somewhere.

Well I was just wondering where everyone buys their college books for cheap. Maybe I'm missing a good college bookstore resell website or something.

I check (in this order)

half.com
textbooks.com
amazon.com

half.com is normally the cheapest. I do what you do, buy them from the bookstore and then try to find them cheaper online and return them to the bookstore if it's $20 or more in savings. Otherwise I will just keep the bookstore ones, and I always always always buy used! I do NOT need a brand new textbook lol.

I tried amazon and half. I only found a $10 difference. I would rather keep them if they were $10 difference. I should of bought my books from the bookstore a month ago, but I'm such a procrastinator. I know all textbooks are selling at sky rocket high prices around this time of year. I will try out some of the places everyone recommended. thanks so much!

I check Half.com, Amazon.com & then head on over to the auctions on eBay as my last resort.

Have you checked Chegg.com? It's a rental service, but they might have your book in stock if you don't care to keep it. I'd only use it if the price was wayyy lower than Half.com though... rent vs. purchase, no brainer about that.

I'm telling ya...google the ISBN and it will show you all the online stores that have it and who has it the cheapest. Amazon, eBay, half.com, Craisglist, as well as all the other online book stores...if they have it, Google Shopping will show it.

I use half.com, and abebooks.com is another very good one. I've used them for at least a decade. The best way to get textbooks cheap is probably to nab the semester's booklist ahead of time, like during the summer and do your discount shopping then.

I used half.com and occassionally amazon.com.

A family friend's mom actually just told me today that her daughter (who left yesterday for her 2nd year of college) got her books from an online book rental site. She got a book priced $160 full price for $50 for the semester, and if she doesn't want to return it, she can just keep it. I'll try to find out the name of the site for you! It might have cheaper prices :smile: