Where do Broken Bags Go, Can They Find Their way home?

Feb 10, 2011
A little appropriation of a Whitney Classic for this one :smile:

So that poor yet well loved White Bayswater that was discussed in the shopping forum got me thinking. I would really like to give bag refurbishment project a go. Obviously I know there are professionals who do this but after reading about Plemonts "Home for Old Bags" thread I would really like to give it a go, I recently cleaned up a Marc Jacobs bag to a standard that I was really pleased with and felt so satisfied at the end of it. I love the idea of giving a bag that may be viewed as past it's best a new lease of life and a whole lot of love :smile:

Any tips of where to go looking for a pre loved or scratched, faded, stained, scuffed etc premium bag? I am a bit wary of ebay as even the most trashed bags seem to go for decent sums of money although lucky for us that we have the authenticators here to ensure we are getting the real deal. If any of you come across a bag suitable for a new home and a loving refurb please do pass me on the details :smile:

Any ideas or tips greatly appreciated!

Aha! My favourite subject! Welcome to the Old Bags Club:P

Don't give up on eBay - look for bad pictures and poor descriptions (or, funnily enough, honest sellers who are so keen to describe every fault that it might put others off)

I also can't pass a charity shop without going in, am well known at all the vintage clothes shops for miles around, and have been known to travel some distance for vintage/antiques fairs.

You do have to be a persistent so-and-so, though - I've stopped bidding on Mulberries that have gone too high (tartan-liners have rocketed in price over the last couple of years I think) and have passed on some possible bargains at vintage fairs where I've not been 100% sure of authenticity.

My ultimate goal is to find that unrecognised Mulberry in a charity shop - don't think it's ever going to happen, but if you don't look you won't find!

Well done on the Marc Jacobs, isn't it a great feeling?:biggrin:

Plemont said:
I also can't pass a charity shop without going in, am well known at all the vintage clothes shops for miles around, and have been known to travel some distance for vintage/antiques fairs.

Plemont, I think we are going to get on very well, I love a good rummage at a fair or charity shop. Working in London the charity shops are all pretty pricey and over hunted but I keep on looking too! I am so jealous of the Americans with all their amazing thrift store finds!

I know, even the most battered tartan liner seems to sell for quite a bit now. I think I fancy trying to totally change the colour on a lighter bag, I may try a cheap but leather vintage find for that first though :smile:

Oh it felt so good, it was my first designer bag and I used to take it to school with my folders and lunch in ... I ran it into the ground! I still haven't figured how to mend the piping but its an exciting work in progress!

Aha! My favourite subject! Welcome to the Old Bags Club:P

Don't give up on eBay - look for bad pictures and poor descriptions (or, funnily enough, honest sellers who are so keen to describe every fault that it might put others off)

You do have to be a persistent so-and-so, though - I've stopped bidding on Mulberries that have gone too high (tartan-liners have rocketed in price over the last couple of years I think) and have passed on some possible bargains at vintage fairs where I've not been 100% sure of authenticity.

My ultimate goal is to find that unrecognised Mulberry in a charity shop - don't think it's ever going to happen, but if you don't look you won't find!

Well done on the Marc Jacobs, isn't it a great feeling?:biggrin:

A girlfriend of mine found a genuine Phoebe last Summer (in pretty good nick) on a stall at her local villlage fete - and bagged it for a fiver (yes, really!) When she showed it to me and told me the story I nearly passed out!!! and then proceeded to turn rapidly green with envy!!!!:biggrin::greengrin: I think to assuage her guilt (and for the sake of her own good Karma) she ended up making a respectable donation to her favourite charity!!....

A girlfriend of mine found a genuine Phoebe last Summer (in pretty good nick) on a stall at her local villlage fete - and bagged it for a fiver (yes, really!)

What a result! I'm always pleased to hear stories like that to show that it CAN happen (and not in the slightest jealous, oh no:P)

A girlfriend of mine found a genuine Phoebe last Summer (in pretty good nick) on a stall at her local villlage fete - and bagged it for a fiver (yes, really!)QUOTE]

Such a great story! I am going to have a good hunt through ebay now ... you'll probably see me asking for authentication on all these battered old bags over the next hour or so :roflmfao: I just want to take care of them! haha