Where are the fashionable people?

We are hilarious if I must say so...Damn it that we live on different coasts. We could charge admission!

ITA. Hilarious:lol:

I try to look presentable when I am out and about, but sometimes there is no time or energy for full on make-up and a fasionista approved outfit. If I end up in a magazine one day with black tape over my eyes, so be it:yes:

But I live, supposedly, in a pretty well to do area and there is a couple of really high end malls, but WHERE are the people who buy these things?

LOL! You sound just like my DH and me. We always wonder where the people are who buy the handbags and jewelry! I know I like to wear my "good" stuff when I shop at the malls and such.

this thread reminds me of a tradition that i'm PROUD to be a part of; my college, as with a lot of large schools in the South, has a custom of dressing up for football games - and i mean Kentucky Derby style dressing up. Men in slacks, button downs, ties, and blazers and women in cocktail or sun dresses, heels, jewelry, and sometimes hats and gloves (gotta pull out all the stops for a big game). but ALL in school colors (ours are red and black). some people like to make fun, but i would NEVER go to a game in jeans and a team t-shirt. it seems disrespectful to me. going to a football game is like going to church here.

I had a grand time getting drunk at football games so the dress & heels would of made getting around difficult. It was the 70's & this was the Big 10 tradition.
:tup:

You ladies are hilarious. Next week is the comedy convention at Caesars, what showroom are you performing in?

There was a time when Americans dressed up, even to fly on airplanes. Go look at pics from the 50's and 60's maybe even the 70's and you will see men in suits and women in suits and pumps getting on the plane. I can remember going shopping with my mom long ago and all the women were dressed up, and when we stopped for tea the women who served wore gloves. Face it, Americans have gotten sloppy..so I sort of know what you mean. It always amazes me when I go to the mall and see women wearing shorts and tank tops with flip flops. I mean, geez.

I remember those days! When I was a teenager, we always dressed up to fly! It was such a big deal. I had this incredible pink knit pant suit that I thought was the coolest thing ever! I wore that on my one and only (sadly, only) trip to Paris. Boy, did I think I was something!!

I think Tim Gunn calls our casualness in every day dressing the "slobification of America".

:shocked:"Oh, and what was I wearing? A pair of Jones of NY jeans, an Eddie Bauer lightweight sweater and a Lauren zip up knit sweater/shirt and WAY too old brown flats that I keep trying to find a replacement for with NO luck!"

Berryblondeboys...You can STILL remember exactly what you were wearing in 1995?? I can't remember what I was wearing yesterday, much less 12 years ago.

And the rest of you are just seriously hilarious. LOL.

Who cares. If you like style, dress stylish, I could care less what others wear. In my book, the worse other people look, the more fabulous i look! LOL!
hahaha selena, that is an awesome way to look at it.

i am 16 .. yet i always make sure i look put together, even when going to work out! lol.

If you want to see a lot of stylishly dressed people -- on their way to/from work or just out -- try Fifth Ave or Madison above 57th, the West Side near Lincoln Center in NYC or SoHo/Tribeca, Chelsea, the Meat Packing district -- plenty of "normal" people in great clothes. I've always found the suburbs a bit conservative no matter where in the US.
Italians and Parisians are amazing -- you'd never ask this question there.
That said, it costs an arm and a leg to "suit up" well on a daily basis -- I did the math on my outfit the other day and let's just say -- I wasn't wondering where I spent money after that !

If you want to see a lot of stylishly dressed people -- on their way to/from work or just out -- try Fifth Ave or Madison above 57th, the West Side near Lincoln Center in NYC or SoHo/Tribeca, Chelsea, the Meat Packing district -- plenty of "normal" people in great clothes. I've always found the suburbs a bit conservative no matter where in the US.
Italians and Parisians are amazing -- you'd never ask this question there.
That said, it costs an arm and a leg to "suit up" well on a daily basis -- I did the math on my outfit the other day and let's just say -- I wasn't wondering where I spent money after that !
This is interesting to know! After reading your response it got me to thinking about California. I bet people dress up when they shop on Rodeo Dr. too.

I've added up the cost of what I'm wearing in a day too (including jewelery and handbags) and I feel a little nauseous about it. I can't believe I spend so much money on my wardrobe. But I do feel good when I look good.

I very rarely buy a whole "ensemble", which is unfortunate, because I end up with a closet full of nice pieces - none of which seem to go together. So what do I pull on to go shopping? The jeans, trainers and sweater! That's also the easiest thing to get into and out of when trying on clothes! I'm heading out again today, since I bought two jackets at Nordstrom sale, and realize I have nothing to wear them with!

OMG the fashionable people are totally NOT in my neck of the woods, even though I live in the Redneck capitol of Arkansas (seriously, population around 3000) I am always surprised when I go somewhere and all the women are dressed in camoflauge, sometimes with flip flops, even when it is cold outside! But the icing on the cake was when I was filling up at a gas station and in goes a man and a little boy wearing overalls with NO shirt underneath and NO shoes, and a big ol' dip of Skoal in....even the kid!!!!! But we do have some affluent families here that would never be caught dead without be dressed to perfection.....I try to stay around them!!!!

Treasure the wallflowers and the sloppy ones, they are the ones that pale in comparison to truely stylish people.

At the same time i don't think you need to spend a lot of money to look good/fashionable. I think designer accessories make all the difference .

there are some differences when u go to different malls.
in my city, there are some malls where u see MOST of the people so dressed up. lots of young executives dressing up very well although they just spend their day in the office.
and the young mothers and even their kids dressed up really nice.
but there are some malls too that people don't dress up, usually it's a malls in the side of the city not the one in the center of the city

This is interesting to know! After reading your response it got me to thinking about California. I bet people dress up when they shop on Rodeo Dr. too.

I've added up the cost of what I'm wearing in a day too (including jewelery and handbags) and I feel a little nauseous about it. I can't believe I spend so much money on my wardrobe. But I do feel good when I look good.

And I was thinking of Rodeo Drive :rolleyes: altho lots of dressing down in CA -- San Fran is a more 'stylish' town.
I rationalize buying really good clothes because I don't buy a lot of clothes -- one great coat, not three ok coats has always worked better for me. Quality lasts if you take good care of your things. And I don't spend much on jewelry -- just have never been a jewelry gal.