When's the time 4 ur dog?

CoUtuReLoVe

what purse next?
Jan 1, 2006
This is a completely off the subject matter, but a really important one! I have a pomeranian, she's 18 years old! For all her health conditions she's beyond healthy, still frisky when walking around after her dog bath! But she has horrible Cataracts(Dog Blindness) It's gotten so bad what we can tell is she can she the outline of shadows. She sleeps most of the day, and b/c she can't see the dog door, the dosen't "go" outside. SO we have been putting dog diapers on her. I really hate seeing her restrained, not liviing the "doggy life"(liek playing, knowing her suroundings at all times, hearing well"

What I what to know is, if you've had pets, when did you think it was their time to go???

She's been my dog since I was in pre-school, till now. And she's been loved more than anything. The doctor said it's amazing the great health she's in, (Pom's live to around 9-10)I don't want to choose her day to go, I want her to pass on her will...But I think I bring my own emotions in that "I'm not ready," Instead of her well being.
What do you thing is the final factor to letting your beloved go?:sad:

this is quite the tough question, i have a bulldog, which is not a long life bread, so she'll probably live ten years a the most :sad: but she's just a year old, thankfully.

the best i can do is refer you to a book my mom and i just read, 'Marley and Me' by John Grogan. it's about a family and their dog, and the ending is sad but good.

good luck :-/

Well, think about it.. is your doggie in any pain?? It's something you should talk to your family and especially your vet about. She sounds like she's still got a few years.. you say she's frisky and her only ailment is blindness.. maybe you could help her go outside??

I had a dog who had to be put down because she had distemperment... she was only a couple months old.

I also had a Husky who was in my famliy before I was. He passed when I was about 7. He had liver failure and the only other time I have seen my father get as upset as he did was when my younger sister got lost. So you can imagine that he was like family.

She is a sweetie! I agree that the best advice is to discuss it with your vet and family. The vet can tell you if she seems to be in any pain.

My miniature pinscher is almost 12 years old & was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She's on meds now which seem to be helping, but it's not a great prognosis. I know I'll probably have to make the same decisions someday in the near future.

I'm also studying to be a vet asst. I'd have to say that if blindness was her only problem...she'd just require special attention. Perhaps you could help her outside at times to get some fresh air. My personal opinion is that it is best to let them go at their "time" as long as they don't have uncontrollable pain. Good luck :smile:

well my neighbor has a dog that also has cataracts, and i see her walking the dog everyday. she speaks to the dog all the time so i guess the dog trusts her voice. and they take small tiny steps... it's doable and the dog is very healthy. it's definitely scared when she hears other sounds like cars, and people walking by, i would definitely be aware of her surroundings as to not frighten her when she goes outside. but if you speak to her all the time and she hears your voice, she will learn to trust you as her guide.

We had a black lab all through my childhood and last year we put him to sleep.. I wasn't in the country, but I had said my good byes before that.. It's so incredibly sad, and it's hard to know when to do it :sad: For our pup it was when he couldn't get up on his own anymore that made us know it was the time.. He got really bad in a matter of weeks and it would have been purely selfish for us to keep him alive. I think you will know when it's time instinctively, that's how it was for my parents. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it's so sad :sad:

She is adoreable and that is indeed a tough question. I feel you distress; I had to put down my beloved black standard poodle 19 months ago. The Vet told me it was time and the dog told me too; he was in such pain and had very poor quality of life. I thought I'd never love another dog again...until my husband brought home a white standard poodle puppy last Christmas who is a clown and such fun. If you dog is not in pain and the Vet isn't telling you it's his time I suggest you enjoy the time you have with him. :noworry:

She hads two conditions, A conditions dogs have similar to alzheimer's in humans, basically the dog gets lost, and forgets if he she has eaten, it's not sever, but it has gotten worse, so she walks around alot, an she eats a ton for her size, but she bruns it off by walking, she also has hearing loss, she can hear high pitches but not alot, dark pitches, like a guys voice are slim to none. If I were to talk normally, she would just look around, an probably see my shadow. It just hurts to see her like this, but my vet says she in outstanding conditon. (except for her problems) I just wanted to know if other dogs have this.

And thanks guys, she's a pretty poof ball! I get sad when I think about her age an she's getting old, but I know she's had a great life. And she's been part of the family (My dad calls her his other daughter) Hopefully I won;t have to make the decision, and she's goes to dog heaven without pain.

if she's not in any pain, i wouldn't put her down. i know it would hurt to see one of my dogs like that but i just wouldn't be able to do it. my first dog actually died while my family was on vacation and we couldn't take her. it was so devastating. spend as much time as you can with your dog!

:cry: :cry:

Thanks for saying she's beautiful...she's my doll.

Lately she's been getting more out of it.
She will sleep at least 20 hours a day, she'll wake up walk
around and then eat, then go back to sleep. She really doesn't
remember anything (like eating) and will walk around aimlessly then crash out of being tired. Her standing is harder for her, her back legs tend to go out when standing, and if she's on hard wood floors (our entire downstairs is wood) she has terrible time walking. What hurts me is she's nto in pain. But she dosen't see anything(just shadows) or hear anything.

During the day, unless the sun hits the doggy door for her to see the shadow of it...she pees all over the wood, and it's getting destroyed. My dad knows pinning her up wouldn't work, she would just cry and bark, and be scared of the small space. (But we can't put newspaper all over the floor)

My Dad thinks it's time to 'let her go' but I don't would tear myself up if I knew we chose her time to leave. I read somewhere when a dog can't be a dog(playing, lounging with you, etc) It's time to let your dog go. I know she's had a great life, she let me drag her everywhere when I was 5, and put up with all my kid play, she never complained or didn't do anything I asked her to.

It just hit me when I called the vet to get information on uthenizing, my precious wouldn't be with me, and I only wish I spent more time with her when she was able to walk and play. I know she could 'pass' today or 6 monthes from now, it just hurts that we have a 80 chance of putting her to sleep soon....:cry:

putting an animal down because they are blind is like putting a person down for being blind. please don't do it unless the animal is suffering physical pain from something else. all the dog knows is you are still around to care and love her. animals accept their fate and do not attach the same emotions to them as deeply as we do. it's called survival. enjoy her last years and make her as comfortable as possible.

It's a tough decision to make ... I have a dog who is almost 12, I started thinking about her passing a couple of years ago. Everytime I think about it, I get very upset, and I don't want to have to make a decision that you are having to face right now. I'd say if your dog is not in any pain, let her choose her own time. In the meantime, spend us much time and give as much love as you can. Dogs are family and I can't imagine going through life without having one.

I am all choked up now ... I wish you and your dog all the best!