When you have to work hard to buy your own LV...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once in a while these type of threads come up and I always wonder what OP's intentions were when they started a thread like this.:shrugs: Kudos to you, LVpug for working hard and being able to buy your own things but you know nothing about people on this forum so don't assume things about them based on the size of their bag collection.:idea:

My thoughts exactly. Too many sweeping generalizations.

Once in a while these type of threads come up and I always wonder what OP's intentions were when they started a thread like this.:shrugs: Kudos to you, LVpug for working hard and being able to buy your own things but you know nothing about people on this forum so don't assume things about them based on the size of their bag collection.:idea:

Ack, true. :sweatdrop: I realized this after posting my own comment (hence I added the second comment below). I don't mind that people receive LV from other people; they're sentimental gifts and they're equally as important! At the same time, I appreciate what I have, esp. when I get to buy them for me (an accomplishment on my part since I don't have a lot of money).

When you have to work hard to save and buy your own LV I think that you have a greater appreciation for what you have. I noticed that people who have there bags just given to them do not have the same sort or appreciation. If you are student and your parents buy you a huge collection there is less of an appreciation or attachment to your collection because it was to easy to get. Not sure if others feel this way. When I was a student there was no way my parents would spend thousands of dollars of an LV collection for me nor would I ever let them. My since of pride and my indepence would not let me live that way. If my dh bought my LV bags I too would appreciate them far less than what I do and they would have less value to me. THe fact that I have save and buy them myself gives me a far greater appreciation that I would not have otherwise and that is why I value my collection so much. I worked super hard to be able to afford some luxury items and I am darn proud of that and my collection. Earning things in life can sometimes be a true gift in valuing things, people and hard work. Just felt like sharing my thoughts on the subject and cheers to all of you out there that work hard and truly appreciate your LV goodies:yes: :yes: :yes: . You earned them and deserve them and should enjoy and treasure them guilt free. Appreciate what you have:yes: and all your hard work and effort to get what you want!

AMEN to that pug! I totally agree! I feel proud that I can buy my own bags and not have to ask my parents for money. and because LV IS EXPENSIVE my bf would offer to pay a portion of a bag as my present (like the azur pochette), and I pay the other half..which is OK with me, because he has lots of bills to pay and I'd feel bad if he spent lots of money on a bag for me.

Actually, I'm a student and my mom bought mostly bags in my LV collection. But, I'm not a spoiled child. I have to study hard enough to get one.

I got my first one on my high school, because I got straight A in my transcript. In my undergrate, my mom bought LV for me if I got GPA 3.50 up, and because of that I graduated BA with Honour.

I, then, entered to my Master level, I got mostly A in my transcript, so my mom bought the bag for me as my reward of study hard. (since I'm an international student, studying here in USA is not quite easy).

Now, I'm in my 2nd of my Ph.D. I'm working with my professor and earn some money to shop for myself, so I bought my mom a LV bag for her birthday.

:wlae:

That is such a sweet story. It's so nice that you decided to buy your mom an LV after all of the ones she bought for you.

I couldn't agree more. My hubby buys me LV's for special occasions, namely our wedding. Does that make me a bad person? I sure hope not :noworry:

Irene I work with a gal who gets all her LV and designer stuff for free and it irks me because she seems so non chalant about it and really does not value the item rather the status associated with it. Coming to tpf I noticed that many people here get really excited and proud of their purchases and value them and it is not about status which is like me and I can relate. Most people here do not take their collections for granted and the majority really appreciate what they have because it is an investment and they had to work for it. It is refreshing to encounter people who really love LV and value there LV stuff and not take it for granted. I am so lucky to have wonderful pieces and I am really grateful that I am able to work hard and buy LV pieces that I love.

I couldn't agree more. My hubby buys me LV's for special occasions, namely our wedding. Does that make me a bad person? I sure hope not :noworry:

If dh buys you something and value it and appreciate that is wonderful. I think that you missed my point:shrugs: ...working hard for nice things gives me more meaning...that is all that I meant...if I got everything I wanted with easy for me it would mean much less...that is all...hugs

ack. I'm too sick today to respond to this thread. However, I do agree with Irene and other posters comments.

I don't care if anyone has their bags handed to them. I don't care if I see a lady thow her mezzo on a dirty floor. However I do agree that working and taking care of yourself is wonderful. I work hard for all of my things and I agree it feels great that I can buy nice things on my own. But everyone's situation is different.

:yes: Love this thread. Agree w/LVpug, i am only child of my parents, yet both my parents and i have an early agreement they will support me whatever normal family would, but anything fancy i want, i need to work for it, b/c i didn't earn their $ for them. Of course their are times i think they are being stingy, but I appreciate they let me learn the value of $ at such early age. I've been working since 12(it's legal when it's family bus.), now i am cc debt free, work two jobs to pay my own bills, car, university, even took over house bills when parents live overseas for 3 years. I work for every penny of my handbag collection, and i appreciate each and one of them, they are all my own gift to myself from b-day, x-mas, and a pat on the back for remain on Dean's list every semester.

It sure is a different attachment of feelings when LV are obtained as gift from others. While my friends have impressive collection of handbags, few admit they wish how they could've carry LV w/proud like me because i worked hard for it. It's not a bad thing to own handbag collection from gifts, it's just people have different level of emotional attachment from it, I am just blessed to be able work two jobs, keep my grades up, and still save up here and there to feed my handbag thirst.

working hard for nice things gives me more meaning...that is all that I meant...if I got everything I wanted with easy for me it would mean much less...that is all...hugs

Then it seems like you have a lack of understanding what appreciation really means. While it's fine to feel independent, know that gifts are not just material things, when they are given by a loved one it has tons sentimental value. And if you can't grasp that concept, I doubt what you are really trying to convey here is your gratitude towards yourself. It sounds like you are trying to justify why your collection is not as big as the next person's and that it's better that way.

You have a right to express how you feel but, in the process you are offending many people who get most, if not all their collection as a gift from a loved one whether it be a parent or husband.

People don't understand things that they do not experience themselves.

I noticed that people who have there bags just given to them do not have the same sort or appreciation.

I think this is what people are objecting to really. It is a very blanket statement about people who are "just given stuff". I fall into that category so it kinda hurt my feelings a little to assume this about me.

cheers to all of you out there that work hard and truly appreciate your LV goodies:yes: :yes: :yes: . You earned them and deserve them and should enjoy and treasure them guilt free.

This is the only other thing that kinda made me go :confused1: It sounds like you are saying that unless we work for all our LV we don't deserve them and should feel guilty?

For the record, I recieve alot of gifts from my DH and I work to afford things for myself as well.

I feel blessed to be here to enjoy these little luxuries.
As a cancer survivor, you tend to see things in a different light.
I admire those who work hard for their LV wishlist items (as I do) and feel happy for those who receive their gifts with love.

Peace and happiness to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.