When you come across a rude salesperson or clerk do you say something to them about..

orderandlaw

Oct 6, 2006
When you come across a rude salesperson or clerk do you say something to them about their attitude?

For some reason the ruder a salesperson is, the nicer I am to them. I used to work on checkouts and sometimes I would be in a bad mood and all it took was one nice customer to snap me out of it. It also makes me wonder if maybe they are having a really bad day and they are taking it out on everyone else. Either way, its their problem and being nice to them makes me feel better.

^ yeah me too ....

i once had this SA at saks who was holding something for me and then gave her other customer my item and it was the LAST PIECE!! and i was screamingly mad!!

I refused to let her ring up my other purchases and get a commission from my purchases for her sloppy incompetent work and unacceptable behavior. I got them to get me another SA. good lord, i was ready to strangle the first SA. i know, i realize it's only a blouse but it really got me mad.!!!!

it depends - sometimes I will be nice but honestly, don't be in customer service if you can't handle it. i used to work for a long time in different customer service organisations, and you just can't have a rude day, except under specific circumstances. I know this is harsh but having a bad day is not really on. I am not going to a shop to deal with your bad mood. periods.

as for bad service in general: it have left shops because of bad customer service. I have also found that sometimes the ruder you are to SAs yourself, the nicer they treat you. for me that is quite sad, to be honest. anyway, generally I like to be polite all around and what people to treat me that way.

I worked retail for a short time..and I had some of the rudest customers give me attitude...and I've always managed to be polite and courteous. So, in return I expect retail clerks and so forth to be the same way to me...if they aren't..I give them attitude back and if they still keep doing so..I'd have to talk to their acting manager.

It depends on how rude they are. I have commented on their attitude a couple of times (nice and politely) and it's helped the situation. Most will realise they're doing wrong and will apologise, or offer an explanation. I guess it kinda puts them to shame if you bring it up.

I was asking a lot of questions to one of the salesladies once (I know, I can be annoying) and she started answering with a "tone" if you know what I mean. I instantly said: "There's no need for such tone. I'm just trying to figure this out". She apologised and looked genuinely sorry. Maybe she thought I was trying to nag her on purpose but then knew it wasn't like that when I said that.

It works most of the time, just keeping your comment polite and nice.

I can't recall anyone being overly rude but what I really hate is when they are supposed to be helping me and are discussing their weekend or whatever with a colleague next to them. I have complained about that as it's bad manners in my mind

Sometimes I make them aware of it through some indirect comment which they'll only get if they think it over. I'd never tell them straight though, but I'll probably hesitate to go into the store again..

If it seems like they are just having a bad day, I will try and engage them and smile, sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't....if they are really rude or not extending good service I do take the time to complain to a manager.

No. Everyone has an off day. If it was a shop I went to regularly and kept getting attitude then I probably would have a quiet word with the individual.

Luckily I don't run into rudeness much but recently I was at the museum and had a free admission pass. The clerk asked if I wanted to see a exhibit, and I said no thanks because I assumed at first it was extra. Then I as an afterthought, I asked if it was included in the free admission and he said yes, so I asked if I could get a ticket after all. He rolled his eyes and got the ticket and said "thats why I asked you" in a real snotty voice. There was no one in line after me so its not like I held up the line and it took 2 seconds to print a ticket. I was so shocked and just said "you don't have to rude about it." and walked away. of course the whole day afterwards I was thinking of things that I wished I would have said but didn't think of it at the time. i still get mad thinking about it!!