When you are trying to be a minimalist but are too perfectionist...

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
And obsessed with finding the right shade cause nothing is quite right...everything seems different : red brown, bright red, darker red, very very dark red....but it's really not, and I want to get rid of them but can't!
IMG_1491841469.682185.jpgIMG_1491841482.499342.jpg

Sadly, I'm a minimalist with a different problem. I often end up throwing or giving away something and thinking, I shouldn't have done that! Plus, I find I only ever reach out for that one color so let me stop pretending that I actually use the rest. For instance, I had only three nail polishes! Just three, but did I ever wear them. Nope. Gave them away.

Yours isn't so much a perfectionist behavior as probably going "Sometimes, I want a more pinkish red. I might want a more brownish red next time."

The key question is which one do you wear often? If you are rotating red lips daily, then clearly keep them all. After all, you're using these products.

I love trying new lip colors but often end up being disappointed. Usually I can use up the one I don't love as much by combining it with another color to get a look that I'm pleased with.

I'm a red lipstick hoarder because I'm forever trying to find my perfect shade. I think I may have found it though - NYX soft matte lip cream in Amsterdam with MAC's Ruby Woo lipliner.

Yeah, I can't be minimalist with make up. I'm picky about coordinating. So even if I only wear it rarely, there are specific color preferences and I can't just use "works well enough" because it will drive me batty all day. So, I have a bunch of nudes, reds, purples, plums, maroons, mauves, pinks, corals, orange... But they're all different shades / tones and, to me, aren't really interchangeable. Same with shadows and polishes. Likewise, I have a bunch of BB cushions, but use them for different types of weather / situations or desired finishes / looks.

Reactions: Pmrbfay
Yeah, I can't be minimalist with make up. I'm picky about coordinating. So even if I only wear it rarely, there are specific color preferences and I can't just use "works well enough" because it will drive me batty all day. So, I have a bunch of nudes, reds, purples, plums, maroons, mauves, pinks, corals, orange... But they're all different shades / tones and, to me, aren't really interchangeable. Same with shadows and polishes. Likewise, I have a bunch of BB cushions, but use them for different types of weather / situations or desired finishes / looks.

I can SO relate to this! I'm an artist and am very sensitive to the slightest variations in color. I think that's part of the reason I often blend my lip colors (I can get a custom color that is more pleasing to my eye!). I just ordered a set of Rouge Coco lip gloss topcoats from Chanel ( http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chanel-rouge-coco-glosstop-coat/4655727?origin=category-personalizedsort ). They're sheer and you can put them over the top of any color lipstick to change up the shade. I love this idea because it adds an entire new palette to the lippies I already have in my collection.

Reactions: papertiger
I can SO relate to this! I'm an artist and am very sensitive to the slightest variations in color. I think that's part of the reason I often blend my lip colors (I can get a custom color that is more pleasing to my eye!). I just ordered a set of Rouge Coco lip gloss topcoats from Chanel ( http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chanel-rouge-coco-glosstop-coat/4655727?origin=category-personalizedsort ). They're sheer and you can put them over the top of any color lipstick to change up the shade. I love this idea because it adds an entire new palette to the lippies I already have in my collection.

Yes! I mix and match a bunch of different lip products to get the color & effect I want. I use tints, stains, lipsticks, lip balms, liquid lipsticks, top coats and glosses in all sorts of combinations. I like the Laneige & Este Edit tone up / down blenders and the custom blend lip palettes too. I've also been experimenting with making homemade lip balms & lipstick. And I'd love to hit up a Bite lab one day.

And obsessed with finding the right shade cause nothing is quite right...everything seems different : red brown, bright red, darker red, very very dark red....but it's really not, and I want to get rid of them but can't!
View attachment 3662924View attachment 3662925
Have you ever tried using a tinted lipgloss on top of your lipstick before? For example, I love the look of MAC's Spice it Up, but somedays it looks too intense on its own so I apply it like I normally would, allow it to rest for a minute, take off the excess with a tissue (leaving just enough to stain my lips), and then apply a lightly-tinted lipgloss (i.e. NARS' Orgasm or Greek Holiday) on top to create a whole new colour. Sometimes also using a good lipliner all over the lips before applying a more sheer lipstick can also help to influence the final outcome by customizing your shade.

So I ended up giving away 2 lipsticks and 3 nail polishes (that were not even shown in the above pictures!)
But I bought one more lipstick trying desperately to replace my ONE and beloved most worn color from Chanel who discontinued it. Which means I should get rid of 1 thats too close now.
what I need really is just a bright red, a coral for summer, and for winter a darker red, a brownish red and a burgundy/aubergine one.