When Working from Home, Do You...

Like many have said on here, it depends on who is in the meeting. Attorney here - for client meetings, I put on makeup and wear a normal business casual top / blouse. I have not worn work pants or a blazer since March 2020. I'm afraid to even try and zip those pants now lol. If it's an internal meeting, I throw on my glasses and go makeup free. I do get my brows tinted and have lash extensions so that helps tremendously with not feeling like I need to wear makeup most days. Remote work has been great for my skincare!

I bought a bunch of puff sleeve t-shirts and sweatshirts that pass off as sweaters on Zoom/WebEx calls - I highly recommend for when you want to be comfortable but still look appropriate. I've bought this style Janine Sweatshirt | Grey Ruffle Sleeve Sweater | Rebecca Minkoff in so many colors - just size up one size.

Like many have said on here, it depends on who is in the meeting. Attorney here - for client meetings, I put on makeup and wear a normal business casual top / blouse. I have not worn work pants or a blazer since March 2020. I'm afraid to even try and zip those pants now lol. If it's an internal meeting, I throw on my glasses and go makeup free. I do get my brows tinted and have lash extensions so that helps tremendously with not feeling like I need to wear makeup most days. Remote work has been great for my skincare!

I bought a bunch of puff sleeve t-shirts and sweatshirts that pass off as sweaters on Zoom/WebEx calls - I highly recommend for when you want to be comfortable but still look appropriate. I've bought this style Janine Sweatshirt | Grey Ruffle Sleeve Sweater | Rebecca Minkoff in so many colors - just size up one size.

I agree!! I usually go with a nice tank top and a blazer. I looooove the the site you linked!!! Def fits my style.

Reactions: Fashion412
If you would dress a certain way and wear make up for a work meeting in real life, why would you not for a meeting in Zoom?
I genuinely cannot understand that and over the last year and half I have stared in disbelief at people I had known only in a tie wearing a sloppy hoodie in front of an unmade bed. I have no need for that.

Of course there are things that are different, like not wearing high heels, and unavoidably codes change. I have always welcome more creativity in work attire, and have myself changed during the pandemic to a more informal industry. But I love a blazer and no one is going to stop me wearing one because I am meeting from home. To me it is about how it makes you feel. Personally, I find it is easier to be depressed in a pair of joggers than in a nice shirt and a bit of lip gloss… That said, I have never wore sweatpants in my life and do not see the pandemia as a reason to start…

To me dressing for work is (also) about respect towards others. To look nice and like you have made a bit of an effort, to be professional, to show a background in your screen that is reasonably tidy… I don’t see how it hurts!

Last edited:
No, definitely not! My laptop is raised so people only see me from the shoulder blades up. So I wear a nice top and have my hair styled more or less the way I normally would for the office. My bottoms are usually a pair of black Fresh Produce (love that brand) cotton knit capri pants.

Makeup tends to be optional -- if it's a one-on-one with someone I know well or just my immediate team, then all I wear is a bit of concealer and tinted lip gloss. More makeup only when it's a larger group or I'm presenting (if it's a really large group and I'm just dialing in, I turn off my camera). These have become my daily work shoes :P :

giesswein slippers.PNG

Last edited:
If I'm being recorded at meetings (nearly always) I'll dress for work.

On casual calls between colleagues I may even turn off the camera.

Strangely, because I have more time in the morning if working from home, if anything my makeup is more put together. Makeup is the least of my priorities on a 'normal' working day. I've even taken TM and mascara and put it on, on the train. I cannot miss my train.

The only change has been there's less of a 'uniform' work look.

When I moved to wfh completely in March 2020, I made a pact with myself that I would wear pants with a zipper, M-Th and on Friday wear any elastic waist pants. I did that to give me a "clothing routine", just as I stuck with a routine to wake up by a certain time, let myself have a leisurely coffee, breakfast, shower, dress routine and hit the VPN at a regular time at work from home station that has evolved with time. I had never worked from home before and was fearful of a slope that would lead to rolling out of bed, just making a pot of coffee and logging in! Which I personally knew had happened to a friend. So I figured any structure or routine would help.
I am middle aged and when I went to the office fulltime, even though it is mostly a younger crowd and business casual (sadly business sloppy) is the norm, I stuck with more professional separates. Once we started to work remotely, I did not have many Zoom meetings, but for my manager meetings, department meetings and company meetings, I always did my hair, put on the minimum of make up (which I did for the office), and put on a neat casual looking top, blouse/sweater, etc. And went on camera even it there was the option not to.
At the beginning of last fall, I decided to invest in my wfh wardrobe that had become my new uniform. There are Old Navy pants, the Bootleg Khakis, I found the year before that I looove, so I got them, Gap "track pants" chunky Shaker sweaters, a bright sweatshirt, a couple Pima cotton tops, you get the drift. All with comfort in mind too. (Also independent of all this, I was looking to purge clothes that either didn't fit, were shabby/worn/pathetic or didn't Wow me. So it was great to look at even exercise clothes, pajamas and casual stuff and get rid of the stuff that needed to go!). I make the effort lol lol to wear pajamas, so there is a distinction between athletic, leisure, casual, pjs!!!
So now I do go in the office once a week. I do pull out my nice separates, decide which bag and tote to bring, do hair, make-up, etc. I have a nice basic professional wardrobe that I was actually cultivating the year before during the summer, fall, winter 2019 (that still fit thank the Universe). That will now last me for near and mid- range future!

When I moved to wfh completely in March 2020, I made a pact with myself that I would wear pants with a zipper, M-Th and on Friday wear any elastic waist pants. I did that to give me a "clothing routine", just as I stuck with a routine to wake up by a certain time, let myself have a leisurely coffee, breakfast, shower, dress routine and hit the VPN at a regular time at work from home station that has evolved with time. I had never worked from home before and was fearful of a slope that would lead to rolling out of bed, just making a pot of coffee and logging in! Which I personally knew had happened to a friend. So I figured any structure or routine would help.
I am middle aged and when I went to the office fulltime, even though it is mostly a younger crowd and business casual (sadly business sloppy) is the norm, I stuck with more professional separates. Once we started to work remotely, I did not have many Zoom meetings, but for my manager meetings, department meetings and company meetings, I always did my hair, put on the minimum of make up (which I did for the office), and put on a neat casual looking top, blouse/sweater, etc. And went on camera even it there was the option not to.
At the beginning of last fall, I decided to invest in my wfh wardrobe that had become my new uniform. There are Old Navy pants, the Bootleg Khakis, I found the year before that I looove, so I got them, Gap "track pants" chunky Shaker sweaters, a bright sweatshirt, a couple Pima cotton tops, you get the drift. All with comfort in mind too. (Also independent of all this, I was looking to purge clothes that either didn't fit, were shabby/worn/pathetic or didn't Wow me. So it was great to look at even exercise clothes, pajamas and casual stuff and get rid of the stuff that needed to go!). I make the effort lol lol to wear pajamas, so there is a distinction between athletic, leisure, casual, pjs!!!
So now I do go in the office once a week. I do pull out my nice separates, decide which bag and tote to bring, do hair, make-up, etc. I have a nice basic professional wardrobe that I was actually cultivating the year before during the summer, fall, winter 2019 (that still fit thank the Universe). That will now last me for near and mid- range future!
LOL at business sloppy!! It is true, well at my workplace it is. I work in b2b tech a.k.a software and to be specific those automation stuff you see for emails, we're behind that, we help make that happen. To give you an idea here's one that will explain it better.

Soooo anyway, obviously I work with techy dudes and gals. And the norm is to look as if you don't want to make an effort in what you wear. When in reality they are still making an effort haha I don't know if you've watched The Bold Type but there's a guy there that's assigned to handle the digital side of the firm, I totally forgot his name. But that will give you a better image of what I'm talking about.

I think I previously responded to this thread already but I couldn't find my comment lol. So again, I'm in sales so I'm always talking with clients and board meetings so I have to look "presentable" even when at home (usually just pull out a nice top and blazer, cause that does the trick for me). I honestly don't know how to feel about the business sloppy style if that's even a style. I like dressing up for work, it gives you more motivation (especially when someone compliments it).

Reactions: Lake Effect
I had stopped doing the full hair / makeup / clothes routine at home but found it made me feel less myself - sad, listless, less professional.

So, I’ve moved into a happy compromise - hair done in a loose easy style, light makeup and casual clothes that are still stylish and smart. I just can’t stay in the sloppy bun / PJ’s brigade. My self care is important pandemic or not.

I wear home clothes or PJs and my manager knows I am not normally this homeless looking. Sometimes I will apologise for being exceptionally ugly but thankfully my colleagues are all in the same boat. We are definitely not client facing thankfully. :biggrin:

My job has been 100% remote since March 2020 and I have to do video chat all day (but people can only see from my shoulders up basically). I actually wear my workout gear! Leggings, sports bra, and a nice work-appropriate shirt & have my hair done (usually a neat bun). Then I just scurry to my apartment building's gym right after I clock out :lol: No commute or changing means effective use of time! Love it.

I've done my hair and makeup everyday (when working fully remotely, now I'm back in the office a few days a week). I think my "getting ready" was a huge part of my morning routine pre-pandemic, and it kind of anchored me (provided something familiar and sense of "normalcy") that made the transition to shelter-in-place feel less disruptive. I think with all of the anxiety and depression I experienced/am experiencing during this time (but let's be real, anxiety and depression were part of my life pre-pandemic but unfortunately, the pandemic exacerbated them), maintaining habits that are predictable, consistent, that help me feel a sense of stability have provided some much needed comfort.

As for attire, my workplace has always been pretty casual so my clothing hasn't changed a bit. I still rock tees, leggings, sneakers, :biggrin:.

Fortunately 100% of the meetings I have to attend are audio only. I haven't worn any of my work clothes since March 2020 except for a handful of times to visit the office.