When Working from Home, Do You...

Apr 22, 2018
When working from home, do you actually put on a full outfit AND makeup... because you still see your colleagues virtually (e.g. via Zoom or Teams)?

I have been mostly working from home since March of 2020. Honestly, I just wear whatever to attend my virtual meetings. Not that people will see anything below my neck anyway. Makeup? No, I am too lazy. My colleagues have known me for years that they have seen me with and without makeup :coolio:.

And, do you find yourself doing more retail therapy since working from home? I haven't bought any bags since December of 2020, but I have bought some clothes - blazers, pants etc. Sometimes, I ask myself - why did I buy them? I am not going to wear them anyway (not when I am working from home). I'll wear them when we are back to the office.

Reactions: italiengirl356
I worked from home pre-COVID since I am an independent public relations consultant and have embraced the casual wardrobe lifestyle. If I know I will be on camera with a new potential client (rare, I still push for regular calls since that was my norm prior to COVID), I will do my hair and makeup and put on a semi professional top with joggers on the bottom. But on a day to day, fall/winter has me in Vince or ATM joggers and some form of sweatshirt or leggings and a sweater. The warmer months will have me in cotton v-neck tees and jean shorts or a lightweight jogger, maxi dresses and breezy jumpsuits. Working from home means I do better work because I can be comfortable while doing it.

When working from home, do you actually put on a full outfit AND makeup... because you still see your colleagues virtually (e.g. via Zoom or Teams)?

Hellllllll no :lol: especially with Zoom's filter and now digital makeup, I don't wear any makeup most days except for some eyeliner and a brow pencil. I usually wear my pajamas straight from bed to desk but will put on a hoodie. My workplace was always a hoodie/t-shirt and jeans culture so it doesn't look unusual. I'm actually scared for when I have to start going in and being presentable again.

I have been mostly working from home since March of 2020. Honestly, I just wear whatever to attend my virtual meetings. Not that people will see anything below my neck anyway. Makeup? No, I am too lazy. My colleagues have known me for years that they have seen me with and without makeup :coolio:.

And, do you find yourself doing more retail therapy since working from home? I haven't bought any bags since December of 2020, but I have bought some clothes - blazers, pants etc. Sometimes, I ask myself - why did I buy them? I am not going to wear them anyway (not when I am working from home). I'll wear them when we are back to the office.
I’ve been working from home since March 2020 as well. In the beginning, I was wearing whatever to attend my meetings. It depended on the type of meeting and my attitude that morning. I’ve started dressing up a little more, so I can start feeling like a person again. Sometimes if I sit around in pajamas all day, then I find myself getting and feeling lazy, so now I make it a point to get up as if I’m going to work and throw on a pretty blouse and do my hair nice, so I can feel more productive throughout the day. This remote work has really started to take a toll on me, so in order to feel some sense of normalcy, then I play dress up in my closet. Other days when I’m not in the mood, then I adjust my IPad, so it’s only showing my neck up and I smile and wave I while in my pajama shirt.

Depends whose attending the mtg. If it's my inner circle no. If c level executives are present, I try not to look like a slob waste up and get rid of the ridiculous zoom background

Nope. I keep a few collared shirts in my home office for the few meetings where having the camera on is highly encouraged. As for makeup, I didn’t wear any before the pandemic and certainly haven’t started during the pandemic.

I’ve only purchased PJ pants and some comfy shorts during the pandemic, so no increase in retail therapy in terms of clothing for me.

Hellllllll no :lol: especially with Zoom's filter and now digital makeup, I don't wear any makeup most days except for some eyeliner and a brow pencil. I usually wear my pajamas straight from bed to desk but will put on a hoodie. My workplace was always a hoodie/t-shirt and jeans culture so it doesn't look unusual. I'm actually scared for when I have to start going in and being presentable again.

People talked about Zoom filter, but I have never tried it. My laptop is way too old to even support Zoom's virtual background.
Omg, same - going straight from bed to my laptop pretty much. I work at 8am, so I wake up at 7:45am - brush my teeth, wash my face etc. 15 minutes, done :biggrin:.

I’ve been working from home since March 2020 as well. In the beginning, I was wearing whatever to attend my meetings. It depended on the type of meeting and my attitude that morning. I’ve started dressing up a little more, so I can start feeling like a person again. Sometimes if I sit around in pajamas all day, then I find myself getting and feeling lazy, so now I make it a point to get up as if I’m going to work and throw on a pretty blouse and do my hair nice, so I can feel more productive throughout the day. This remote work has really started to take a toll on me, so in order to feel some sense of normalcy, then I play dress up in my closet. Other days when I’m not in the mood, then I adjust my IPad, so it’s only showing my neck up and I smile and wave I while in my pajama shirt.

I know, I have the same thought. I *should* put on some work clothes, so I'd feel more motivated. That's what I *plan* to do, then morning comes... oh, no, I'd rather sleep in a bit more. Lol.

People talked about Zoom filter, but I have never tried it. My laptop is way too old to even support Zoom's virtual background.
Omg, same - going straight from bed to my laptop pretty much. I work at 8am, so I wake up at 7:45am - brush my teeth, wash my face etc. 15 minutes, done :biggrin:.

Heck yes, slobs unite lol. We're lucky to be in companies where we can get away with it. I think the virtual background feature is way more taxing on your computer than the video retouching - try it! You turn it under Video Settings I believe. It doesn't work magic but it does just enough that I can skip foundation.

Depends whose attending the mtg. If it's my inner circle no. If c level executives are present, I try not to look like a slob waste up and get rid of the ridiculous zoom background

Very true. 99% of the time, I wear whatever when we have our own internal meetings. However, if I know the senior management may attend the meeting, then I'd make an effort to make myself a bit more presentable :lol: - e.g. makeup, a nice top etc.

Heck yes, slobs unite lol. We're lucky to be in companies where we can get away with it. I think the virtual background feature is way more taxing on your computer than the video retouching - try it! You turn it under Video Settings I believe. It doesn't work magic but it does just enough that I can skip foundation.

Really? I'll check it out in my Zoom settings :lol:! Even pre-COVID, I was too lazy on most days. I always had this perfect outfit and makeup look planned in my mind, then morning comes, it never materialized because I was too tired! For example, the night before... okay, tomorrow, let's do a white blouse, with this dress pants, the Mulberry Lily purse, and a pair of Roger Vivier flats, and let's do some makeup?

The next morning... not enough time to switch purses, just put on a simple top from UNIQLO, simple pants, and stuff everything in the Neverfull :lol:. Makeup? Oh, whatever, forget it.

Very true. 99% of the time, I wear whatever when we have our own internal meetings. However, if I know the senior management may attend the meeting, then I'd make an effort to make myself a bit more presentable :lol: - e.g. makeup, a nice top etc.
Even in those meetings @ office I’ll be wearing comfy sweats that you can’t tell are sweats (Frankie shop or amour vert for example) and so if I stand up you can’t tell because zoom is grainy to begin with.

but yes to tops/makeup though at office it’s harder with mask I don’t put lipstick (transfers) when I do go in… when I’m at home it’s not a problem.

We also all got those TikTok lights? To help… I don’t use them since I have good lighting from the windows but it’s helpful for those who don’t during client meetings.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and limom
Yes, I still wear full makeup because my coworkers wouldn’t recognize me without makeup! And yes I get dressed up. This morning I threw on a blazer for a court hearing. I also wear blazers for board meetings or trainings. These Zooms are recorded and archived so I want to look good lol. Sometimes I’ll wear whatever for my department meetings. You will never ever catch me taking a Zoom meeting from bed in my pjs. I can’t believe some people do this for recorded meetings without first slapping on a background.

Try a lip stain! They are a Godsend when I have to leave the house, so I can be masked when I need to but also not look dead while eating outdoors.
I’ll try it out, I’m not a huge makeup person, but when gucci release their floral print lipstick (ahh the smell was so good) in a classic red I had to get it and then I suddenly found myself with a trio. Slippery road.
Yes, I still wear full makeup because my coworkers wouldn’t recognize me without makeup! And yes I get dressed up. This morning I threw on a blazer for a court hearing. I also wear blazers for board meetings or trainings. These Zooms are recorded and archived so I want to look good lol. Sometimes I’ll wear whatever for my department meetings. You will never ever catch me taking a Zoom meeting from bed in my pjs. I can’t believe some people do this for recorded meetings without first slapping on a background.
I would neverrrrr wear PJs if it’s recorded or a formal session!! I’ve seen folks jump on calls and they basically limit it to just their head because we both know below is PJs/lounge wear. It’s no biggie but I also don’t know how they work the way they do, it’s just off a laptop… and the company sends them dual monitors, keyboard, mouse, everything and they just still stick with the laptop… then I found out it’s because they’re doing the calls/work from bed.