When will I start peeling from Retin A? And can I use a home peel while on Retin A?

PixieGirl

Nov 13, 2007
I started using Retin A last week every other night. 0.025% and have not begun peeling at all yet. When should I expect to peel? And if I am not peeling at this point, should I begin using it every night? Also, I just bought Ole Henriksen's Power Peel 2 weeks ago so can i use this at all or do I need to wait a few weeks before I even think about using it?

http://www.sephora.com/power-peel-trade-professional-spa-grade-kit-P375421?skuId=1431956

Thank you!!

I started using Retin A last week every other night. 0.025% and have not begun peeling at all yet. When should I expect to peel? And if I am not peeling at this point, should I begin using it every night? Also, I just bought Ole Henriksen's Power Peel 2 weeks ago so can i use this at all or do I need to wait a few weeks before I even think about using it?

http://www.sephora.com/power-peel-trade-professional-spa-grade-kit-P375421?skuId=1431956

Thank you!!

You may not peel at all, depending on your skin. I never did while on Retin-A but my skin would get very dry. You should really take your time, ideally several weeks, to ramp up to nightly use to avoid flaking and burning. It is also wise to limit the use of scrubs and peels with other potential irritants, like glycolic acids and vitamin C. And when in doubt always check with your dermatologist!

Twin-fun is right, it really depends on your skin and if you're lucky you won't even peel. I've been using 0.1% for more than a year, and when I first started using it, it took me a little over a week to start peeling. I used it once every night.

I know a lot of people say you shouldn't exfoliate when you're on retin-a, but for me personally if I didn't use my Clarisonic once or twice a week to buff away the dead skin my moisturizer wouldn't absorb which made my skin even drier. I would highly recommend staying away from any harsh peels however because you most likely will feel your skin burning. The peel I used was Kiehl's Biological Peel which was gentle and didn't burn my skin when I put it on. I used that once a week in lieu of my Clarisonic. I'm not sure if the Ole Henriksen Power Peel is gentle or not, but if it is you might want to consider other more gentle options.

I haven't been experiencing any dryness at all either, in fact, my face is soft and hydrated feeling. I recently started using Korres Sleeping Facial so maybe it is counteracting all the dryness? I just want to make sure this stuff is working. The lady at the dermatologist told me to put my serum on first then the retin a. It shouldn't be blocking the full benefits right?

I'll be 32 next month and getting marred next fall and I want to make sure my face looks gorgeous.

^^
Generally you're supposed to wash your face first, wait until your face is fully dry, apply the retin-a, then wait 15-20 minutes until you put on anything else. That's what the directions said in my prescription. There might be conflicting information about how to properly apply it though.

Also I forgot to say this in my previous post, but PLEASE don't use retin-a during the day!! You'll be more vulnerable to sunburn. Be sure to wear an SPF always, I apply SPF (at least 30) religiously every morning even if it's not sunny.

I only use it at night and I always always wear sunscreen on my face and hands.

I increased my application to every night since last Friday so its been almost a week. I have yet to have any peeling or dryness. I also wait 20 min or more to apply other products and have not been applying anything before the retin a.

Is the retin a still effective if I am not peeling or dry? I always thought peeling = effectiveness but I am probably totally off. How can I tell if its effective?
Since I am at a very low percentage (0.025), should I buy a higher percentage? If it is effective no matter what I'd like to stick to this percentage so I didn't just spend money on something I won't use.