When to use security tags?

s_rae22

Dec 26, 2007
I am getting ready to list a bag and was intrigued by the whole security tag/lock thing. Do you put these on bags in a certain price range or all of your bags? Has anyone ran into a situation yet where these were beneficial (i.e., someone trying to return a fake) just wondering if i should invest in one for the bag I am going to list.

Thanks!!

I use them on bags that I consider at higher risk of counterfeiting. Like all my Coach bags worth more than say $150-200 I do, just since there are so many fake Coach bags floating around out there. But I usually don't on lower priced bags or bags from designers that I don't believe have a high risk of being copied. I also make sure to take lots of identifying pics of my bags as well.

I'm glad you brought this topic up in this thread, because lately I have read about these security tags, and wondered what they're about.

Could someone explain exactly what they are/do? I realize that for the most part, it's self-explanatory, but for instance, where do you purchase these tags? How do they work?

Thanks! :shrugs:

there are so many scammers around that bought the item (handbags for instance), they said it is fake- not as describe and want to return for a refund.
of course it will be no problem BUT
they switch their ugly fakes or their old used stuff and said we sent them that
and return that for refund- they get the money- AND THE ITEM
so, people use the tag to attach on the bag. only return if the tag is on- no matter what.
some people just use a piece of paper and tie it on the bag- then buyer said it felt off by itself:cursing:

so we came up with some other tag - you can search on ebay "security tag" and they will show up-
these tag will have its own number, and they usually are thick plastic- like the cable tie - so buyers have to cut it off. they cant find another one with the same serial number and put it on their fake- KWIM.

some also use the combination lock - you attach it on the item. ONLY give the combination to the buyer when they inspected the bag- inside out- they will email you and said they are happy-
that way, you can prove to ebay/paypal that they are happy.
very sad the world has come to this- but it's true

HTH

the buyer keeps the lock- or you can ask them to send it back at your cost:shrugs:
i dont sell much designer bags so i just buy when i need them- for the cost and the headache- i rather pay little bit

if you want, you can find them on ebay for a lot better price

This is going to sound like a dumb question but what happens to the lock after the buyer gets the combination. If they keep it, doesn't it get expensive to keep buying locks?

Good question. I was thinking the exact same thing. I can't imagine that the buyer would go through the trouble of shipping it, so yes, it would get expensive. I like the other idea much better. :tup:

all sales are final means nothing to paypal- buyers can make a dispute anytime.
so if you do the lock/tag, you can save your self headache from worrying they switch it. that's all it does