When they just don't spark joy... It's going back.

SomethingGoodCanWork

In Clown World on Prison Planet
Feb 10, 2017
I would have loved to be the first to post in aalinne_72's thread "*March/April* Our New Acquisitions!" but my much hoped for Cognac City is going back.

So. I finally received my City Cognac from S/S 2006. I had high expectations but I just don’t “feel it”. It’s not sparking joy :-s When I received my make-up clutch in Rouge Vif my heart skipped with joy, I really “felt it”. I cuddle that m-u clutch every day :lol::blush:

It’s disappointing that I didn’t feel the same about the Cognac City BUT it’s also good because:
  • Now I know how it will feel when I find a bag that is truly for me. I haven’t bought “grown-up" bags in a long time but the m-u clutch reminded me. Like when I bought my first Mulberry in my early 20's, with my own hard earned money. What a feeling that was.
  • Now I know what’s highest on my wish list. This will help me keep my eye on my main goal, a beautiful RH City in smooth black leather and a few coin purses/m-u clutches, and not get sidetracked by all the other pretty Bal bags in all their variations and juicy colours. And it’s so easy to get distracted!
  • I now know that I want a bag that is new or that looks as good as new.
  • Balenciaga, Proenza Schouler and Chloé are the forums that lured me in to TPF, and that keep me coming here. I’ve forgotten about Chloé and PS for a while due to Bal obsession but I will widen my “Cognac search field” to include these brands again.
(Thank you for reading my "thinking out loud”. Here are some pictures of the bag, in case anyone is interested in how a 2006 City RH in Cognac and Chèvre can look. There are more pics in the Authenticate… thread).

P1160703.JPG

P1160693.JPG
P1160690.JPG
P1160695.JPG

Last edited:
This is a beautiful bag but you are absolutely doing the right thing. If it doesn't spark joy, there is no point in keeping it. I hope you find the perfect Black City (a couple great ones popped up last month if I recall correctly). And I am always "thinking out loud" on TPF -- it's the best sounding board for my purse woes/joy.

Thank you CeeJay, MonAmie, Iamminda and aalinne_72 :flowers:
This only goes to show that I'm just a Bal heathen lacking sorely in the finer skills of appreciating a true chewy Chèvre City :blush::lol: Am I sure? When you guys (considering your enviable experience with this brand) put it this way, of course that makes me think twice!

But yes, I'm sure. I put it back in the lovely box it came in, a couple of hours after unpacking, photographing and thinking about it yesterday and haven't taken it out for a second look. There's been a lot of mentioning of Marie Kondo here lately, and although I don't roll my socks into fluffy little sushi like rolls anymore, she is absolutely right about "sparking joy". The Cognac just didn't.

And I confess, I really prefer City:s with smoother leather, not marshmallowy or too distressed. Which ought to be a good thing since most everyone else seems to prefer the chewy very distressed type leather on this Cognac, so there must be a couple of great smoother City finds out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you CeeJay, MonAmie, Iamminda and aalinne_72 :flowers:
This only goes to show that I'm just a Bal heathen lacking sorely in the finer skills of appreciating a true chewy Chèvre City :blush::lol: Am I sure? When you guys (considering your enviable experience with this brand) put it this way, of course that makes me think twice!

But yes, I'm sure. I put it back in the lovely box it came in, a couple of hours after unpacking, photographing and thinking about it yesterday and haven't taken it out for a second look. There's been a lot of mentioning of Marie Kondo here lately, and although I don't roll my socks into fluffy little sushi like rolls anymore, she is absolutely right about "sparking joy". The Cognac just didn't.

And I confess, I really prefer City:s with smoother leather, not marshmallowy or too distressed. Which ought to be a good thing since most everyone else seems to prefer the chewy very distressed type leather on this Cognac, so there must be a couple of great smoother City finds out there.

Bal Heathen? You are too funny! You are not a B heathen. Everyone is different in what they like. The good thing is that there are so many different Bals out there that you are bound to find the right one for you. It's kinda like shopping for a wedding dress -- you will know it when you find the right one for you. Keep looking and good luck :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator: