When the time comes to say goodbye......

My hubby and I were watching an Animal Planet show (the one @ the emergency vet clinic) and we were both in tears. A family was going through the process of putting down their pooch. As I was sobbing with them I said "I don't think I'd be able to be there". My husband turned around to look at me and said "Our dogs deserve it. They love us and care for us. I'll be there holding them and kissing them when the time comes". Boy, that opened my eyes.

Chance deserves your arms around her when she's going to Rainbow Bridge. All our pups do. We'll keep our around you, Dallas.

I got really choked up reading your post... I remember having to put down our beloved old pit, Oliver, because he was dying of heart failure.

When the time came, I knew it was for the best. He was starting to struggle with his illness, and we couldn't bear to see him suffer. He brought my family so much joy and love, and we wanted him to go when he was still happy. He came to us an abused rescue dog, and left us knowing that he was the most loved animal on earth...

Oh geez... now I'm full-on crying... My prayers are with you right now!

My heart goes out to you. I had to do it for the first time last September. My beloved siamese Winter who was only 10 and by my side had kidney failure. I never thought I would have the strength to do it but I couldn't let him suffer and I couldn't let him leave without being in my arms. I whispered in his ear the whole time about how wonderful he was and to go straight to my Dad who would be greeting him. I still grieve for him but am grateful I was able to be with him. Enjoy every moment you have with your beloved.

When the pain comes and it's a quality of life decision for you both - you will have the strength do what you need to do for your sweetie.

I had to make the decision for my precious Mickey (5 years ago this week) It was absolutely the kindest thing to do. I was right there with him.

The vet gave me a phone number for a grief counselling group for folks who lost their pets. I didn't take advantage of it - shortly after I heard about a little 10-year old boy who needed a home (see avatar.) I'll be there for him when I need to be too.

I cry even thinking about anyone having to make such a painful decision. It is the worst part about being a pet owner, I wish we never had to say goodbye. Sending a big hug your way, I hope you're still able to enjoy some quality time with Chance.

I am so sorry ... I can't imagine having to do the same thing. Stay strong, and if you need to let your emotions out, don't hold back. It's going to be extremely difficult but hopefully time will heal, although I know it will be so hard ...

<<<HUGS>>>

reading this is making me tear up, because i remember i the pain of having to put 2 of my beloved dogs down (they were 13 and 15 years old) in 2003 and it was the hardest decision we had to make... both of them had cancer and it was horrible, heart wrenching to see them waste away, but yet at the same time throughout their pain, when they saw us coming over to them to give them a hug, they'd still muster the energy to wag their tails and give us a lick or two... but seeing them getting worse day by day was too painful so we ended up putting them down. Its kinder to do that for them, even if it breaks your heart to do so :sad: Big hugs to you!