When re-sale values disappoint

I feel the same way about how fakes devalue the real thing. When I carry designer bags...especially the most popular brands...people often ask if it's "real" or a good fake. That goes for my designer scarves as well! Even though we know how a real bag or scarf feels, from the outside and at a distance, it is often hard to tell the real from the fake for many people. I think that's why at times, I just buy a mid level...or up and coming designer bag for the times I just want something fun...or maybe even a bit over the top. We all know here how the real thing feels and wears...but to many that doesn't seem to matter and it's disappointing that buyers are often taken advantage of by unscrupulous sellers every day! I hope I never get "taken" but you just never know!

You might have taken a loss, but at least you have a genuine bag! Enjoy it!

I try to buy my bags at a 30-50% discount so that I don't lose too much money when selling them. Bags bought at 50% off may have even given me a small profit (if sold almost unused). All bags bought at full RRP and then sold have resulted in a bigger loss :sad:. Therefore, IF I pay full price, I really need to be sure that it is a keeper for good.

I have accepted this as I love to circulate stuff. I am more careful nowadays though.

I have always resold at a loss neaarly always 50% of original purchase price but assume that the joy I had of the ownership of the bag which I craved so much in the first place was where the loss went..... (also I'm not very patient so tend to put a low bin price on bags I wish to sell on). So that is my strange but comforting rational....

That's exactly my outlook too Piglet.

All the bags I've sold have gone for the same as I paid or more :yahoo: But these were mainly bags that I bought for half price (or less :nuts:) and generally fairly classic.

I've recently been disappointed that a bag I've listed hasn't sold and I've listed it three times :Push: However, rather than lower the price and sell it for much less then I paid, I'm just going to use it as my rainy-day/school run bag :lol: I don't hate it - I just don't love it anymore. But I'm not going to sell it at a huge loss just because it's not a popular style :nogood: It's worth more than that to me, if that makes sense.

Klp: Why, hello! Sorry to hear you took such a loss on your Blenheim. But, hearing other TPFers have had the same problem does make me feel a bit better. Did lovehandbags adjust all its prices, or just some? It did always seem to be on the amazingly steep side.

They put a lot of their items on sale after Christmas. The ones that didn't sell are now listed at the lowest sale price and other bags have much more realistic prices as well.

Hi Claire,

Yes it is horrible when you don't get what you expect from a bag sale, or realise that you've made an expensive mistake.
I've only rehomed two bags before, a mitzy messenger and an oak anthony.
The mm was oak and had only been used twice, so pristine. I bought it for £350 and sold it for £225, nine months later. I wanted £250 but took less for a quick sale (the buyer was lovely too), so i was happy.
Oak Ant was a good suprise, bought for £125 at an outlet 2 years ago, used twice, and sold for £175 on ebay just before christmas. Ant's have gone up now in price and they are very popular, which make's a difference.
I think that is the point. How much you get for a bag depends very much on the style, colour and how popular they are / were. Wether they had classic styling or were of the season.
I have a light pink mabel and oak smithfield that i bought from outlets but were still expensive. I am not looking to sell them (luckily i love them), but i know that if i did i wouldn't get much for them as i don't think the styles / colours are that popular.

I think though that this knowledge comes with experience. When i first joined the forum i went in to a mad buying frenzy and bought lots of bags without really knowing the styles and wether they would suit my lifestyle.
Now i really think long and hard before buying a bag, which has helped me not to make expensive mistakes!

Claire i would have thought that a Mulberry bag would fetch a fair price in Australia, as they are quite hard to find and expensive to buy new there?

Fingers crossed you get a better price in the future

All the bags I've sold have gone for the same as I paid or more :yahoo: But these were mainly bags that I bought for half price (or less :nuts:) and generally fairly classic.

I've recently been disappointed that a bag I've listed hasn't sold and I've listed it three times :Push: However, rather than lower the price and sell it for much less then I paid, I'm just going to use it as my rainy-day/school run bag :lol: I don't hate it - I just don't love it anymore. But I'm not going to sell it at a huge loss just because it's not a popular style :nogood: It's worth more than that to me, if that makes sense.

Im with you on that one .. I would rather keep certain bags than make a huge loss on them. It isnt worth it!

You MUST use that bag - honestly dita it is so easy to use & such a handy bag for rainy days etc!! Use her!! :biggrin:

Im with you on that one .. I would rather keep certain bags than make a huge loss on them. It isnt worth it!

You MUST use that bag - honestly dita it is so easy to use & such a handy bag for rainy days etc!! Use her!! :biggrin:

I know - I used to really like her. But I got her out to use a few months ago as I thought she'd look good with my smart maternity coat but as the sleeves were quite wide, it wasn't comfortable. So I put her away again. I'm going to try again this week, though :yes:

Tend to be with Piglet and Corries in that most of mine have made quite a loss - 30 - 50% loss....a couple i practically gave away as i was trying to get the Alexa fund going!

We did discuss this on another thread, and the general feeling was that 30% less than was the most one would get for a used bag....

I try to keep my collection to 7 so that I do not start to duplicate styles/purposes/colours and i think that helps me not to go and buy something i really wqant but do not need.....ie got ink Alexa as have oak bays.....avoided hayden tote as have oak bays......loved mitzy tote but have Jody.....love Daria fringed satchel in ginger but have mitzy msg in oak....

But ClaireL i totally sympathise with you. I think the fakers do drive the prices down for the genuine seller on Ebay....achieveing a realsitic price is hard - too much and no sale; to cheap and they think its fake!

As Bluecat said, 'some you win, some you lose' & I've had a mixed result personally. I have never bought a bag simply to try to onsell at a profit - I've bought them because I intended to use them - if they didn't work out, then it's a bonus if you can get back what you paid for them (or more), but that's never something I set out to do.

i think thats right, some you lose and some you make on, but i think when you buy a bag, you buy it because you love it! and thats the main thing!
you should look at when you sell it the money goes towards a new bag no matter how much you make or lose!