When people ask how much $ your bag was...

daisygamgee said:
For the most part, people who ask this are not actually interested in what it costs for real information purposes--they want to call you on the carpet for spending lots of money on something they don't value.

And I'm just not playing that little game, thanks ever so.

Daisy, you nailed it. It's not that people really want to know, they're just trying to decide exactly how much disdain they should have for you, because your values are different. I still think it's terribly rude for people to ask.

The exception, of course, would be close friends or those with a true interest in LV - neither of whom would be judgmental.

i tell them, its expensive and that its my bf who bought.. hahahah. now everyone thinks he's too in love with me and that im a spoiled brat. hehehe.

It depends on how they ask, sometimes people ask and they come across as asking in a kind polite manner because they are considering purchasing themselves in which case I will tell them. I know I have asked people once or twice before I realized how rude it sounded if I did not know the person well. Other people may want to ask for the same reason but they just come across as nosy and critical in which case I don't want to tell them.... which brings me to a past experience I had with one such person....

This was in college and I has just met two people (a guy and a girl) and we decided to work on the midterm review questions together as it would be a TON of work for one person to do alone. I had my new purse with me and she started and asked me where I had purchased. I told her online and she then kept bugging me about what website. Then she preceeded to ask how much.... I just said a lot. But no... that didnt shut her up... she just kept guessing and guessing and I felt it was rude to not reply at first so I said 'more, more'. Finally I got so fed up with her guessing (she just wouldn't stop despite my obvious discomfort!!) and said 'I'm not saying anymore." She went on to criticize me for spending so much on a bag and somehow got the guy into it too. Both oozed a "OMG! You are SO materialistic for spending so much on a bag"-vibe to me. =T GRRR.. but then guess what? I'd say 4 months later I saw her at the bookstore. I know she saw me but it was odd that seemed to want to avoid me. I got a closer look and lo and behold SHE HAD GOTTEN THE SAME BAG!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHH!!

pixiedust82 said:
i tell them, its expensive and that its my bf who bought.. hahahah. now everyone thinks he's too in love with me and that im a spoiled brat. hehehe.

I tell everyone the same thing too, that my boyfriend bought it for me as a gift :biggrin:. I only tell the dollar amount to friends, other than that I don't think people need to know, unless they really want the same handbag.

melikemochi said:
It depends on how they ask, sometimes people ask and they come across as asking in a kind polite manner because they are considering purchasing themselves in which case I will tell them. I know I have asked people once or twice before I realized how rude it sounded if I did not know the person well. Other people may want to ask for the same reason but they just come across as nosy and critical in which case I don't want to tell them.... which brings me to a past experience I had with one such person....

This was in college and I has just met two people (a guy and a girl) and we decided to work on the midterm review questions together as it would be a TON of work for one person to do alone. I had my new purse with me and she started and asked me where I had purchased. I told her online and she then kept bugging me about what website. Then she preceeded to ask how much.... I just said a lot. But no... that didnt shut her up... she just kept guessing and guessing and I felt it was rude to not reply at first so I said 'more, more'. Finally I got so fed up with her guessing (she just wouldn't stop despite my obvious discomfort!!) and said 'I'm not saying anymore." She went on to criticize me for spending so much on a bag and somehow got the guy into it too. Both oozed a "OMG! You are SO materialistic for spending so much on a bag"-vibe to me. =T GRRR.. but then guess what? I'd say 4 months later I saw her at the bookstore. I know she saw me but it was odd that seemed to want to avoid me. I got a closer look and lo and behold SHE HAD GOTTEN THE SAME BAG!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHH!!

Hypocrite through and through! I dislike those people. I especially dislike people who have fake bags and act that they are higher than everyone. One time, I saw this girl and she was holding her FAKE Speedy 30 acting like she was "all that" and she had that "snooty" look, and she saw me coming because I was coming in the bookstore, but didn't see that I had the same bag (the REAL ONE, which I borrowed from my mom at that time) on my side hiding behind my books, so i went to the little starbucks section dropped my books off with my friends who were waiting for me and went back up to the front where she was in line and I flashed my bag right at her face, pretending I was browsing the books next to the line, and after I put the books down, I looked at her bag and looked at her from head to toe and walked away.

I get that alot because I'm so young. (17!!) 4 Simple and easy words... "It was a gift". I think that's a great reply, because once, I say that, it seems to shut them up. And it's not entirely a lie, some are gifts from other people. Most are gifts to myself!!!

I get straight to the point and tell them how much it cost but then I justified myself by saying… “but I haven’t eaten in months, and the dog hasn’t been fed, and I’m being evicted out of my apartment” and we all laugh it off….

I don't have a bag, but I never tell how much I spent on the small leather goods...after all they are expensive and I don't want people to know how my my obsession costs me. Plus no one of my friends and family understand my liking for LV. Sigh.

She went on to criticize me for spending so much on a bag and somehow got the guy into it too. Both oozed a "OMG! You are SO materialistic for spending so much on a bag"-vibe to me. =T GRRR.. but then guess what? I'd say 4 months later I saw her at the bookstore. I know she saw me but it was odd that seemed to want to avoid me. I got a closer look and lo and behold SHE HAD GOTTEN THE SAME BAG!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHH!![/quote]

Haha, funny story! You can now see it as a compliment because she obviously thinks you have fabulous taste. May I ask what the bag was?