When people ask how much $ your bag was...

ayla said:
I don't really care what people think, but since people judge so quickly, I prefer to tell only friends that know me as a person and wouldn't come to conclusions based on what I answer with (e.g. the dollar amount).
I so agree with you, yesturday my sister-in-law asked me if my green denim gm was a dooney&burke:huh: so, I told her in a sarcastic tone, that it's a Louis Vuitton ( as if she should've known), she stared:shocked: with that I know my brother didn't pay $1200, for a jean bag for this B:censor:. So I gave her the B:censor: I know that I am worth this bag and then some look:P . She just said that, "Well maybe when I get to yall financial status, I'll be able to get a louie." but I knew that she was just being politically correct and that she really wouldn't buy an LV, because in that family that is considered ABSURD! With that being said when someone inquires, I'll simply say "ALOT".

BlueBunny said:
I always tell them how much. Straight, no lie, just the facts. What's the big deal? That's how much it cost, it's not my fault. I do the same with whatever I own, from expensive to cheap. If they have a problem with the price, I guess then they're not going to buy a LV.

I used to do this but I got so much crap for it I stopped.

I think it's best to give the figure straight because:
1) If they are your true friends then so what? I know what my friends fork out they do know about me as well.
2) If they are not your true friends then you get to know that they are not. If they start being critical you can be confident that they are jealous that your life is better than theirs.

CEC.LV4eva said:
I dunno if it's just a cultural difference or not but I find a LOT of Chinese people LOVE to ask these types of questions (and the #1 q of them all is "how much salary do you make?!" which is outrageously rude). So for me, although I've been raised in the west, I'm more comfortable with money related inquiries and I just tell the truth. Not in detail though, I just say less than 1000$ or more than 1000$ and this usually satisfies lotsa people.

lol, actually I went to HK earlier this week and I had all the questions you put up here so my case isn't abnormal:lol: . I was at this wedding reception which I was forewarned by the English-educated bride that it's going to be the 'Battle of The Peninsula' :lol: and I had so many asking me where was my dress from. After the 1st skirmish - see below for summary - I started telling later people straight then they ask me how much was it I told them straight as well (naturally they put up a disinterested look;)) but then they also ask me what do I do and how much do I earn; this I also told them straight but the thing is they start lecturing me on how they have the money but they would rather buy something else when they are wearing seriously flat-facet jewellery to try to give the illusion of it being big! (these are Chinese ladies who were just introduced to me by another HK friend and I'm not even Chinese!). I knew a bit of Cantonese because I was sent there for a short period but they didn't know that ;) and were sniping at me saying something about my parents which I didn't quite catch and one of them said it's totally ugly.:lol:

BTW, can any Chinese lady answer why is it that now Chinese weddings have both cocktails (first) and then the traditional round table thingy later. Is it now the fashionable thing to do?

I give the "taken aback" look and say "My goodness, what a question!" and shake my head in mild confusion at their bad manners. That usually closes it.

Like several people have alluded, answering it honestly gets things like "Well, *I'd* never spend that much on a *purse*!" For the most part, people who ask this are not actually interested in what it costs for real information purposes--they want to call you on the carpet for spending lots of money on something they don't value.

And I'm just not playing that little game, thanks ever so.

daisygamgee said:
I give the "taken aback" look and say "My goodness, what a question!" and shake my head in mild confusion at their bad manners. That usually closes it.

Like several people have alluded, answering it honestly gets things like "Well, *I'd* never spend that much on a *purse*!" For the most part, people who ask this are not actually interested in what it costs for real information purposes--they want to call you on the carpet for spending lots of money on something they don't value.

And I'm just not playing that little game, thanks ever so.

This is SO true. :yes:

CEC.LV4eva said:
Nevertheless, what bothered me the MOST was when I bought an LV bag with my ex and he f*cking kept bothering me bought the price EVERYTIME i went out with him, saying stuff like (quote) "you can buy a car with the amt of $$$ you spend on bags." I mean, no...I can't rationally, BUT even if I did have that much money and I decide to spend it on bags, then SO WHAT?!?!?!? You (my ex) may wanna buy a car, but I DON"T!!!!!! ARRRRGHHHHHHH! I'd rather take the BUS everyday if that's what I WANT!!!!!!!!

Heh - Maybe that's why he's an EX? He doesn't have to understand or agree with your desires, but there's no point in keeping him around if he can't at least respect them.

manolo maven said:
I ALWAYS say I don't remember. It is between me and my purse what I spend on a bag. No one needs to know.

I do this too ... unless my family is annoying me, then I might tell them. I never tell the men I date