When might you choose Togo over Box....?

Feb 8, 2014
...would you ever choose Togo over Box?
Should Box always win, even if you want to use it daily or at least very often during the week, even though you have young children?
Maybe it is because you have young children it should win because it will be the better piece to pass to them one day?
Or is Togo just so modern, and wearable and durable that it has a chance of winning over Box?
WHAT IF YOU WERE GIVEN THE CHOICE OF 2 IDEAL-SIZED KELLY BAGS IN IDEAL HARDWARE AND THE SAME IDEAL COLOR, WHAT WOULD YOU DO...?????

As someone with young kids, I would pick Togo! It's just that much less stress not having to worry about banging it around and not freaking out if the kids get to it. At least if it's an everyday bag, that's how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

While I love, love, love the look of Box leather, I would definitely pick Togo.
As I can be quite clumsy sometimes, I would be afraid to ruin the Box leather in a heartbeat :shame:.
Togo is much more durable and won't show signs of wear so easy. My Togo bags are a few years old and still look mint.

However, if you don't mind a bag that will show signs of wear easier, and that is less durable than Togo, Box could be an option for you too.
But if you are looking for a leather that won't show signs of wear easy, and that will look mint for a long time, Togo is the way to go.

Togo wins hands down for anyone who wants an easy to maintain bag. It is sturdy and beautiful and will not get ruined in an unexpected downpour. If I had only one H bag for everyday/workhorse use, I would choose Togo over box. Though if I had my choice of multiple bags, I would pick Box first :smile:

Box is beautiful and one of my favorites (next to Barenia and VN) but I find my clemence and Togo bags much easier to wear and care for, especially for someone like me who is not easy/careful with bags.

Togo for me anyday for my habits/lifestyle! Dont baby my bags at all and USE them daily, rain or shine... I love to see box esp with a sexy patina but on other people, scratches too easily for my liking. Only box bag i have is a small one.... Also am a colorful gal and alot more colors are available in togo!

Last edited:
Interestingly, box is much less popular than Togo in Asia than in the US and Europe. I think the idea is that box scratches too easily and shows wear that isn't so obvious in grained leather, and it applies whether one has kids or not. There are still some ladies who go for box of course, but they're the minority as far as I know.

Interestingly, box is much less popular than Togo in Asia than in the US and Europe. I think the idea is that box scratches too easily and shows wear that isn't so obvious in grained leather, and it applies whether one has kids or not. There are still some ladies who go for box of course, but they're the minority as far as I know.

Box is not as popular as you would think in Europe. It has a huge fan base on this forum but in public, togo is still the "go to" choice of leather.

I believe in the long run Box ages better than Togo. But then again I love leather with a patina. I have bags in both leathers. My favorite workhorse textured leathers are Fjord and Clemence.

I think it depends on your lifestyle but also your personal style. Others have already commented amply about lifestyle.

As for sartorial style. A Kelly will always be smart. In Togo it is just a little more all-day casual which is why I think it fits with most people's contemporary fashion sense, in addition many people like things to look new, and togo looks newer for longer. On the other hand, if you have a polished, tailored style or like to contrast your look with 'old world formality' then the Box would be a good choice.

I believe in the long run Box ages better than Togo. But then again I love leather with a patina. I have bags in both leathers. My favorite workhorse textured leathers are Fjord and Clemence.

My favourite textured leathers are also Fjord and Clemence..... I don't like Togo at all, never have! My 1 and only Togo bag which I SO (the colour I wanted only came in Togo and Epsom, which are the 2 leathers I dislike most) so I ordered Togo, but the colour I so much wanted looked dull in this leather, so I sold it. Clemence takes colour so much better, and is so buttery to the touch...:love:

Anyway, to answer the OP's question I would choose Box over Togo ALWAYS!

I love the look of box especially in sellier K but haven't taken the plunge because I'm fussy about scratches. Box looks absolutely beautiful and the patina is TDF. It's definitely the epitome of a kelly IMO. But I know I'll be continuously fussing and inspecting my bag so with 4 year old twins I won't take a plunge on one until may be when they're in grade school or I'll get a vintage in a few years so I don't feel like I have to baby it. I currently have a 35 retourne in clemence and I don't have to worry about it at all but then I find the clasps a bit cumbersome so I only used it 3 times since purchasing it early this year.

As previous posters have mentioned it depends on your lifestyle.

Personally, if it was a Kelly sellier, I'd go with box. If you want something relaxed, Kelly retourne or a Birkin, I'd go with togo.

for me togo always wins. i have both box and togo and i have more togo than box because i'm anal with scratches on my bags in smooth leather, not so much in pebbled leather.