When it comes to bags are you trend follower or trend avoider ?

Sa26

Aug 24, 2019
i see many of you complaining about having the bags everyone else has.
but I mean if a bag is everywhere its for two reason, it’s a great price point or it’ the most popular And everyon genuni loves it

I see many of you hating IT bags.
Personally I don’t mind having the same bag as everyone else If love it. The reasons I wouldn’t get the Chanel Classic flap or the Never full it’s because i Think I can buy something which works for the same Occasions as those in a lower price point And look very similar to those

maybe if id buy luxury I might be a little bit of a revel not much but a little instead of getting the never full I’d get the shopper from YSL and instead of the classic flap I’d go for the Dior Caro or the Gucci Marmont.
id go for the style everyone loves but different brand and yet being conscious that many others might go for the same Choice I did lol

I'm a trend avoider and I gravitate towards the classics. There's a fine distinction between what "everyone has" and a classic imo... I don't think the Neverfull or Classic Flap are IT bags. They're classic bags. IT bags to me are things like the Gucci Marmont, Chloe Drew, Bottega Jodie, Dior book tote, LV Multi Pochette Accessoires... those were/are HOT and you saw them on all the celebrities' and influencers. They burn fast and hard then disappear for something else.

Neverfulls and Classic Flaps are kind of like boring standbys. A lot of people have them but they're not IT bags... there's no such thing as a 3 decade IT bag, except maybe the Hermes Birkin. :biggrin:

My collection is bigger than id like (~30 bags) and I have a small % of trendy bags (or were trendy but not anymore) in my collection because I love them but the biggest part is dedicated to classics in a neutral color palette that i already know works for me. The moment i dont like something, i will sell it, not necessarily to fund another bag, sometimes it takes me a long time to make a decision.

Whenever I like a trendy bag, for example, the Bottega Benetta padded cassete (the simple strap one, not the thick chain version), I wait for the peak of the trend to die and if i still love it, then i get it preloved for a better price lol

I have some bags that are considered "not trendy" or they were very hot at one point in time but not anymore such as the Loewe puzzle, Celine Classic, Dior Book tote...I love them and carry them regardless if they are in trend or not, but i also dont avoid a trendy bag if i love it simply because it is trendy. I am not a fashion lover, I am a handbag lover lol

I don’t follow trends, I buy what I like and it’s usually the more classic styles. There are styles that have been “in” for quite some time but I don’t get it until years after because either I started liking it or it suits my needs at that time.

Take for example the Marmont camera bag, I just got that a few months ago but that’s because I realized I have been lately reaching out for my crossbody bags more than ever.

Reactions: swallowtails
For me I think it depends on what the trend is but I tend to stick to a group of tried and tested styles that I like and the trend doesn't seem to be in line with that these days. I like low-key classics with interesting shapes. If more subtle bags come back in style it might give me a wider selection to choose from.

I'm a trend avoider and I gravitate towards the classics. There's a fine distinction between what "everyone has" and a classic imo... I don't think the Neverfull or Classic Flap are IT bags. They're classic bags. IT bags to me are things like the Gucci Marmont, Chloe Drew, Bottega Jodie, Dior book tote, LV Multi Pochette Accessoires... those were/are HOT and you saw them on all the celebrities' and influencers. They burn fast and hard then disappear for something else.

Neverfulls and Classic Flaps are kind of like boring standbys. A lot of people have them but they're not IT bags... there's no such thing as a 3 decade IT bag, except maybe the Hermes Birkin. :biggrin:

true the Never full and the Classic Flap from Chanel are classpics however the Chanel one there was a time it was like Everywhere. It still looks great if you have it but maybe a few years ago it was the Hottest bag in the world the same with the never full.

anytime you get them will look great but the Chanel there was a time it was an obligated bag to have when it was 2,000. Now it’s almost 6,000.

Not anymore. I used to like some of the more fashionable bags to a certain extent, though I‘ve never been fanatical about fashion. Nowadays I’m too old for trends.

Definitely avoider. I do not buy the newest IT bag as soon as its in demand. I have bought several IT bags after they have been around for a few years and no longer in demand or seen everywhere but I still like them. For example Fendi Spy, Chloe Paddy, Gucci Marmont, Givenchy Antigona, etc. I bought these bags because I still loved them years after they were the latest bags to have and hard to get. I got them when the hype died down only because I absolutely loved them not because they were the latest trend.

I also don't care if I buy the bags after they're the latest thing and others think they've gone "out of fashion" I'm buying for me not to fit in (which some hideous IT bags are clearly bought for the simple fact of fitting in and being seen with it). But I dont buy with anyone else's opinion in mind and it still surprises me to see threads asking if something has gone out of fashion before they buy like they can only buy a bag if they will fit in with it and be sheep like everyone else. Each to their own of course but I want things I actually like and want to add to my collection for me not just so I can keep up with strangers I don't care about.

I buy bags based on my style and its function. I definitely gravitate towards a certain type of bag. I don’t own a Classic Flap, Neverful, or Speedy. Not my style. I don‘t own a Cassette or Jodie because, while I like the styles, it‘s not functional.

To be honest, I only see It bags everywhere on social media, I live in a very large city and rarely see those bags.

I have nothing against trend bags. However i don't like it, when i see 1000 Instgram-Profiles with cloned styles. And i don't like the idea of the influencer Culture making expensive designer handbags from fashion houses with a long history and tradition to a fast fashion momentum, that is solely a trendpiece for one season to go with the flow and show off, that you are "up to date". I remember so many It-Bags of the last years like the Chloe Nile, the Dior Saddle bag and the Celine Luggage bag, from the more recent years and i hardly see them around anymore. The problem i have with this trend-waves is that it doesn't pay the deserved hommage to the designs, craftmanship and price of unique models. However this is only my subjective perspective, as someone who doesn't swim in money and can't allow herself to make this expenses for items that i will only use for a maximum of maybe 6 months on a regular basis. I can imagine it to be difficult, if you want to belong to a certain cult or movement and it becomes your "duty" to carry the newest style, no matter how much you like it. I just don't think i would feel comfortable to get a cross this wasteful consumer message.